Premed 101 Forums

University Of Alberta 2019 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2023

Daria.Strel

10 minutes ago, InterinPharm said:

Was a reason given as to why?

i think ( and i emphasize on the i think part) they have some sort of list they go by with their top applicants and then their not so top applicants and as people accept or decline the offers they work towards narrowing that list down.. they probably have some sort statistical thing to reject some people right away. good luck and I truly hope you get in as it seems like you really want this :) 

On 6/20/2019 at 7:40 PM, InterinPharm said:

That's how admissions process works, admission emails are sent to people in four rounds, after the four rounds all the seats (130) are filled. Not all at once. The first round of admission emails from June 14-16 were for the very top applicants (again, those with 4.0 GPAs or close to that). 

I wouldn’t say the 4.0 GPAs dominate first round. I know quite of 4.0s that we’re 3rd and 4th round as well as 3.3 to 3.5s that we’re first round.

It’s all about your full package that you bring 

10 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

does anyone know what the cost of tuition is per year or semester?? I can't find it anywhere

If your tuition is the same as ours (likely), it will be $12,555. Now that’s just tuition as there are other fees such as ACP membership (~$460), APSA membership ($440), as well as textbooks if you’d like (you don’t need them).

That plus the $1000 you will be spending at Tim Hortons :) .

Hope that helps!

2 hours ago, UhhhhhhOkay said:

If your tuition is the same as ours (likely), it will be $12,555. Now that’s just tuition as there are other fees such as ACP membership (~$460), APSA membership ($440), as well as textbooks if you’d like (you don’t need them).

Hope that helps!

Oh wow why is it so much cheaper than all the other pharmd programs in other provinces?

On 6/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Hope that helps!

awesome thanks! i was thinking it would be more like 17,000 per year so that is good to know!!

Hi guys! 

I got my acceptance email on June 18th. 

I am IP (U of C), last two years gpa was 3.838, and had a few months of experience with volunteering at a pharmacy. I thought my LOI was okay at first but looking back I think it was good and had all the necessary components. My interview also went well. I also graduated from my Bachelors this June. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I hope you all hear back soon with positive news! 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:16 PM, UhhhhhhOkay said:

Hope that helps!

Is this per year or per semester? On the website it says tuition is $25,000 per year! Is that not valid? It's half that? Thanks!

21 minutes ago, pharm23 said:

Is this per year or per semester? On the website it says tuition is $25,000 per year! Is that not valid? It's half that? Thanks!

I think it depends on if you live on campus VS off campus, the cost calculator estimates around $23000 per year if you live in residence on campus.

24 minutes ago, pharm23 said:

This was based on per year basis

1 minute ago, K.chn said:

I think it depends on if you live on campus VS off campus, the cost calculator estimates around $23000 per year if you live in residence on campus.

If you are looking for a place to stay there are places in McKernan area (so long as you share with a roommate) that can go from $500 to $1000 a month. 

46 minutes ago, pharm23 said:

https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/pharmd-for-practicing-pharmacists/frequently-asked-questions

I think this was the link where 25000 was listed, this is for pharmD for practicing pharmacists. The cost calculator for PharmD without the living expenses calculates approximately 10K for tuition only and then other fees extra for studying at u of a. So it would approximate to 12K per year just tuition as @UhhhhhhOkay said. 

59 minutes ago, PharmDapp said:

https://www.ualberta.ca/pharmacy/programs/pharmd-for-practicing-pharmacists/frequently-asked-questions

I think this was the link where 25000 was listed, this is for pharmD for practicing pharmacists. The cost calculator for PharmD without the living expenses calculates approximately 10K for tuition only and then other fees extra for studying at u of a. So it would approximate to 12K per year just tuition as @UhhhhhhOkay said. 

Well that's wonderful news! Thanks :)