Premed 101 Forums

Appeal Interview Rejection - Worth it?

Jess24

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to build in the collective brilliance of Premed users to help me with a dilemma.

I recently applied to Obstetrics and Gynecology and was incredibly fortunate to recieve interviews at all programs offered -except 1. I got rejected from an Ontario school which came as a surprise to me. I am from a smaller school out East but all my supervisors for research were former faculty of said school. I also live in Ontario and each summer my research was affiliated with said school (ex associated hospitals)

I spoke to my referee for that school who was surprised to say the least by my rejection. I was going to leave it alone until I spoke to my careers person as a mandated check in. She is under the impression I should appeal the decision. I emailed the program admin and got a standard reply as I didn’t want to ruffle feathers but she strongly suggested I email the PD directly but I am worried about pissing people off. 

I am incredibly grateful for what I have and am under no misceptions others are not in the same boat but she was saying I should fight harder for a school in my top 5. 

I would love insight from anyone and everyone who can provide a diversity of perspectives. Thanks in advance!! 

46 minutes ago, Jess24 said:

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to build in the collective brilliance of Premed users to help me with a dilemma.

I recently applied to Obstetrics and Gynecology and was incredibly fortunate to recieve interviews at all programs offered -except 1. I got rejected from a major Ontario school which came as a surprise to me. I am from a school out East but all my supervisors for research were former faculty of said school. I also live in Ontario and each summer my research was at a Said school. 

I spoke to my referee for that school who was surprised to say the least by my rejection. I was going to leave it alone until I spoke to my careers person as an update. She is under the impression I should appeal the decision. I emailed the program admin and got a standard “competitive year best of luck automatic reply”. She suggested I email the PD directly but I am worried about pissing people off. 

I am incredibly grateful for what I have and am under no misceptions others are not in the same boat but she was saying I should fight harder for a school in my top 5. 

I would love insight from anyone and everyone who can provide a diversity of perspectives. Thanks in advance!! 

If you have done most of your research at the school yet they have decided not to interview you, I would not pursue it any further. 

35 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

If you have done most of your research at the school yet they have decided not to interview you, I would not pursue it any further. 

That is a really great point! I figured there was a logical reason but between my referee, supervisor and careers person I was super confused on what to do. Thank you! 

It does not hurt to email the program. Most likely you will get a generic answer back saying there were too many excellent candidates for limited spots. But at least in your mind you will know that you tried everything.

Regardless of what you have decided, it is time to forget that you missed the most desirable interview and rather focus on preparing well for all the interviews that you have received. Take every single interview seriously. Don't tell yourself that you have several interviews so you can take one or two easy. Every single interview is important in the end. Take care of your health and prepare well and I am confident you will match to an excellent program. Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived