Premed 101 Forums

How to tell if you're a strong clerk?

You already seem to have good insight into your own performance, so I assume what you're really asking here is for tips on how to distinguish yourself from your peers. If that's the case, then you can impress with a surprise $4 box of Timbits for those around you. This low-key gesture will win you friends, and is not to be underestimated.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, intriguing said:

Hey everyone,

I started my clerkship back in September and I've been having trouble appraising my progress. I feel like at a baseline every med student gets positive feedback and I feel like everyone works hard, shows up on time, etc. I've always done what I was told and always try my best with it. I'll read around cases the night before, read up on things that I didn't know throughout the day, never be late etc. My feedback has largely been positive (e.g. "very good student", "hardworking", "thorough hx/px", etc) and occasionally I'll get something constructive (e.g. "work on having a more targeted history", "present cases more efficiently", etc). I feel like the only way I've been able to tell myself apart from my peers is by the display of knowledge and I'd probably guess I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack or a bit above average in this respect. I'm considering a competitive non-surgical specialty vs family medicine so I'm not sure if any of this matters. 

This is basically what i got as well, i think you're probably in the middle of the pack or a bit above avg like you said. 

On 12/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, intriguing said:

Hey everyone,

I started my clerkship back in September and I've been having trouble appraising my progress. I feel like at a baseline every med student gets positive feedback and I feel like everyone works hard, shows up on time, etc. I've always done what I was told and always try my best with it. I'll read around cases the night before, read up on things that I didn't know throughout the day, never be late etc. My feedback has largely been positive (e.g. "very good student", "hardworking", "thorough hx/px", etc) and occasionally I'll get something constructive (e.g. "work on having a more targeted history", "present cases more efficiently", etc). I feel like the only way I've been able to tell myself apart from my peers is by the display of knowledge and I'd probably guess I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack or a bit above average in this respect. I'm considering a competitive non-surgical specialty vs family medicine so I'm not sure if any of this matters. 

This is a staple of medical training. Even as I resident, all everyone ever gives you is positive feedback. I think people don't want the headache of giving negative feedback to learners which is a shame in my opinion because it can be very helpful at certain times

Any way, your only way of knowing is reading social cues. If the rest of your team trusts you with tasks, then you're probably doing well

Archived