Premed 101 Forums

Value in self-studying Pathoma, First Aid, Boards&Beyond in Preclerkship?

Hi,

I'm a pre-clerk at UofT and I'm wondering if there was value in studying from online sources such as First Aid/Pathoma/Boards and Beyond during preclerkship. Right now I can pass the exams without too much studying so I'm wondering what would be more high-yield: studying extra to get higher marks in coursework or studying more diverse and potentially more relevant resources. I basically want to become a knowledgable medical student and hopefully set myself up in a good spot for clerkship.

I use these and would say boards and beyond is gold if your university set its courses by systems. Almost every system, 80% of the objectives are available on B&B and very well explained. Also this add another source so you make sure you have really understood the concept. 

I read first aid approximately one week before the exam to review briefly very high yield points (it take around 2 hours and it is very well summarized). 

Pathoma is very good, however, B&B cover approximately the same topics than pathoma so it is not absolutely necessary. 

Using these focus on important topics and allow to review via different ressources before exams instead of reading multiples time the same courses note/summary. I find these ressources highly valuable. 

Add to this pre made anki flash cards and this is my perfect studying combo 

10 hours ago, Darkchrono said:

I read first aid approximately one week before the exam to review briefly very high yield points (it take around 2 hours and it is very well summarized). 

? You did not "read" First Aid in 2 hours.  Literally is not possible unless you have "photographic" memory and flip pages and knew them instantly. 

30 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

? You did not "read" First Aid in 2 hours.  Literally is not possible unless you have "photographic" memory and flip pages and knew them instantly. 

I'm pretty sure he just selectively went through each section for a quick review. It's not possible to read 700 pages, in depth, in two hours. The Rapid Review section in the back is only 20 pages though, and can be done pretty quick. Of course, we're both assuming it's First Aid for the USMLE, and not the First Aid Manual.

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

I should have said, it takes 2 hours to read a section "specific for a system", a system I previously studied and read for reviewing just before an exam specific about it in pre clerkship (considering my courses are system based at my university) . 

16 hours ago, iluvexcel said:

So would you say that studying USMLE resources aimed towards Step 2 exam would be a good to study for preclerks? 

Preclerk = first aid, pathoma, uworld step 1

Clerk (and maybe just before starting) = MTB, uworld step 2 and 3

If you aren't doing uworld you're not getting the best possible education. 

Archived