Premed 101 Forums

Urgent questions about PT.

I'm planning on going to Queens

1) I wanted to know how if ORPAS/Queens allows for you to retake a course. Will they count retaken courses. I'm not talking about prereq courses. I did bad in a 3rd level psyc course. I want to retake it to show that I understand the material. Both attempt would fall in to my last 60. Would they factor both marks in to the GPA?

2) I've already graduated. I'm taking courses while volunteering. However, I will be a part-timer, not a full-timer. Does ORPAS/Queens care about this. Or is it strictly your last 60?

3) Do I have to take senior level courses or any courses in particular for upgrading my GPA?

1) They've accommodated students in the past with re-taking a bad course. Every school seems to have their own rules. I believe most schools will include both grades if they both fall within the last 10 full credits, but Queen's has accommodated people in previous years. I don't think anyone on this forum would know for sure though (unless they have spoken to someone recently), so I'd recommend speaking to Angela, Emily or Kathy so that you can hear it directly from them and 100% know for sure.

2) If I understand correctly, you're saying that you have a part-time status b/c you're not taking a full course load. If so, it does not matter; an undergraduate level course is not influenced by status.

Hope this helps!

6 minutes ago, Rehab4Life said:

1) They've accommodated students in the past with re-taking a bad course. Every school seems to have their own rules. I believe most schools will include both grades if they both fall within the last 10 full credits, but Queen's has accommodated people in previous years. I don't think anyone on this forum would know for sure though (unless they have spoken to someone recently), so I'd recommend speaking to Angela, Emily or Kathy so that you can hear it directly from them and 100% know for sure.

2) If I understand correctly, you're saying that you have a part-time status b/c you're not taking a full course load. If so, it does not matter; an undergraduate level course is not influenced by status.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

I see. I thought they might prefer full-time applicants over part-time applicants. 

Also, I added a 3rd question.Do I have to take senior level courses or any courses in particular for upgrading my GPA?

26 minutes ago, Stedtler said:

Thanks.

I see. I thought they might prefer full-time applicants over part-time applicants. 

Also, I added a 3rd question.Do I have to take senior level courses or any courses in particular for upgrading my GPA?

I would bet that there are A LOT of PT applicants who have graduated and have taken extra courses to boost GPA as part-time students. Personally, I did the same thing as you - volunteered, worked and took a couple of courses (to boost GPA) after I completed my degree.

3) I believe this varies between schools as well. But for Queen's specifically, I believe it does not matter. I took courses in all levels - I basically chose based off interest and knowing I could do well.

Archived