Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Low stat, considering US and in need of advice


Recommended Posts

Hey, Im in my 5th year at western trying to boost my average. My cGPA is bad, around 3.5, my wGPA is around 3.8. 1st and 2nd year were mediocre, 3rd was decent, 4th was good and 5th is good so far but I need advice as to what I should be doing for this upcoming september. My MCAT is not great (501), but im non-trad in my program and im unsure if I could get a meaningful increase with a second rewrite. I've been looking into low tier US MD schools (just bought MSAR), and I see every school needs Organic Chemistry which I did not do because it would kill the GPA I am working my ass off to try and save. Are there any schools I should be looking into that wouldn't need Orgo or Physics? 

If you were me and hell bent on pursuing medicine, what would your next steps be after this 5th year? I have been considering a masters but its mostly to just get some additional research under my belt, possibly a publication and better references. Does a masters affect my odds at US MD at all? Any help would be greatly appreaciated, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your course load like? If you have 24 credits+ in the last couple years but less in the years before that you have a chance at calgary as they won't count terms with less than 24 credits. 

Mac if you have a high CARS score (130-132 range). Queens possibly as I think they will count your best 2 years.  As the other poster said your MCAT is probably too low for USMD. US DO might be more doable but I am not very familiar with US med requirements. Other than that if you're not successful in the US or Canada, your only other pathway to medicine is the international route. Stick with tried and true options (Ireland, UK, Australia) if you decide to go this route. Do your research, it's difficult to come back. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 2:37 AM, JohnGrisham said:

501 is no chance at USMD

How about at US DO? Or even low tier MD or DO?

Also im not positive but I think american schools view UWO gpa as higher than how med schools in Ontario would view it, so would a higher GPA help me out with compensating for the low mcat?

I'm not opposed to doing residency in the US, but I would much rather have the ability to come to Canada for residency regardless of where I went for medical school. That being said, is DO my best shot? I know Ireland/Australia/Caribbean is unlikely to do residency in either Canada or US...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BipolarBearr said:

How about at US DO? Or even low tier MD or DO?

Also im not positive but I think american schools view UWO gpa as higher than how med schools in Ontario would view it, so would a higher GPA help me out with compensating for the low mcat?

I'm not opposed to doing residency in the US, but I would much rather have the ability to come to Canada for residency regardless of where I went for medical school. That being said, is DO my best shot? I know Ireland/Australia/Caribbean is unlikely to do residency in either Canada or US...

 

US DO grads are considered IMG's in the match. So on par with Ireland/Aus/UK. The only advantage to a DO is that it is waaay easier to get a residency in the USA. After that coming back to Canada is relatively easy from what I have heard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VigoVirgo said:

 

US DO grads are considered IMG's in the match. So on par with Ireland/Aus/UK. The only advantage to a DO is that it is waaay easier to get a residency in the USA. After that coming back to Canada is relatively easy from what I have heard.

I've heard the same but I also have heard that US DO grads are going to be considered equal to US MD by 2020, which would be good if that was the route I went. Would you happen to know what US DO prereqs would be like? I didnt take organic chem or physics and I think it may be a little too late to do so. It seems many USMD schools need that as a requirement

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BipolarBearr said:

I've heard the same but I also have heard that US DO grads are going to be considered equal to US MD by 2020, which would be good if that was the route I went. Would you happen to know what US DO prereqs would be like? I didnt take organic chem or physics and I think it may be a little too late to do so. It seems many USMD schools need that as a requirement

 

US DO pre reqs are similar or the same to USMD pre reqs. There is no way around them and I have never heard of a US med school with no pre reqs. US DO's used to be considered on par with IMG's, nobody knows if they will be "reinstated" in the future. My guess is that since more residency positions are not being funded and there are already some CMG's going unmatched, US DO's will continue to be considered IMG's in the match for the foreseeable future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...