Premed 101 Forums

UBC Invite/Regrets 2019

1 hour ago, chingp said:

For those in Vancouver I highly recommend practicing in person  https://www.facebook.com/groups/173550230242947/ .  getting my answers destroyed by around  40+ premeds twice a week really helped me memorize a solid answer formula and stay calm during the actual interview. Good luck people ill be seeing you guys next year

How similar is our MMI compared to the med one? When we are doing practice questions, should we still be doing stuff that relates to physicians, medicines etc.

Also is the format and prompts similar for both programs?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, themuffinman11 said:

How similar is our MMI compared to the med one? When we are doing practice questions, should we still be doing stuff that relates to physicians, medicines etc.

Also is the format and prompts similar for both programs?

Thanks!

I can only speak from my experience for my interview but the DMD MMI seemed more straightforward than the med MMIs. The MMI examiners do not ask questions back, they sit in complete silence for 10 minutes while you basically monologue. This can make it easier or harder depending on how you think about it because they won't be there to prompt you or save you if you run out of things to say but on the other hand they won't interrupt you either. The scenarios that I got were far more straightforward and ethics based compared to say the med ones which have more abstract questions in them, but this can change year to year. I would say just go and do as much practice as you can even if you get medical topics like euthanasia or physician stuff because its more about how to think on your feet even if you don't know an answer to the question and to practice a formula for you to organize your thoughts. We got a few really difficult ethics questions in our interview and no amount of background knowledge can save you on those except staying calm and organized (which is why going to the MMI practice with different strangers everyday throwing different questions at you in person is really helpful).

4 hours ago, chingp said:

I can only speak from my experience for my interview but the DMD MMI seemed more straightforward than the med MMIs. The MMI examiners do not ask questions back, they sit in complete silence for 10 minutes while you basically monologue. This can make it easier or harder depending on how you think about it because they won't be there to prompt you or save you if you run out of things to say but on the other hand they won't interrupt you either. The scenarios that I got were far more straightforward and ethics based compared to say the med ones which have more abstract questions in them, but this can change year to year. I would say just go and do as much practice as you can even if you get medical topics like euthanasia or physician stuff because its more about how to think on your feet even if you don't know an answer to the question and to practice a formula for you to organize your thoughts. We got a few really difficult ethics questions in our interview and no amount of background knowledge can save you on those except staying calm and organized (which is why going to the MMI practice with different strangers everyday throwing different questions at you in person is really helpful).

Do we really have 10 minutes to talk? It did say in the email that each of the 8 interviews would be 10 minutes but I assumed that included a few minutes of reading the prompt and moving to the next stations

Were the ethical questions mainly general scenarios, kinda like CASPer?

Thanks for all your help !!! :)

14 hours ago, themuffinman11 said:

Do we really have 10 minutes to talk? It did say in the email that each of the 8 interviews would be 10 minutes but I assumed that included a few minutes of reading the prompt and moving to the next stations

Were the ethical questions mainly general scenarios, kinda like CASPer?

Thanks for all your help !!! :)

I think two minutes reading is part of that 10 minutes but the moving I don’t think is part of it. It’s been a while so it’s quite hazy but that’s from what I remember. Again there’s no real pattern to the questions so it’s possible it won’t even be ethics based since they change them every year, but I would practice everything from opinion pieces to scenarios to cover my basis.