Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy Assistant

Boeing747

Hey guys!

I'm a 20-year old OT student in Quebec and I'm really interested in Pharmacy, as OT wasn't my first choice. I would like to find a job/volunteering opportunity to acquire experience and see how it is. I approached some retail chains like Shoppers and some independent pharmacists, but no success, since I have close to zero experience in that field. Why would they pick me over someone who has had previous formation as a pharmacy assistant? Anybody who was in a similar situation that could help me with this?

Thanks!

Hey,

Dont give up. Tell them you want to become a pharmacist and how you plan on applying for PharmD. In cities such as Qc and Mtl, it could be harder to land a tech job, as there are numerous PharmD students who work as techs.

HOWEVER, I was in a similar situation when I finished cegep back in May 2017. I gave up (lol) and just decided to work as a pharmacy clerk (not in the lab) during my first year at uni. In May 2018, I got into PharmD directly. I still got to see what the job was like and got to acquire some experience in the field. Plus, it looked good on paper when I was applying ;) 

Good luck !

On 1/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, Symphonie said:

Hey,

Dont give up. Tell them you want to become a pharmacist and how you plan on applying for PharmD. In cities such as Qc and Mtl, it could be harder to land a tech job, as there are numerous PharmD students who work as techs.

HOWEVER, I was in a similar situation when I finished cegep back in May 2017. I gave up (lol) and just decided to work as a pharmacy clerk (not in the lab) during my first year at uni. In May 2018, I got into PharmD directly. I still got to see what the job was like and got to acquire some experience in the field. Plus, it looked good on paper when I was applying ;) 

Good luck !

Quelle est la différence entre un tech et un clerk? ATP serait lequel des deux?

Merci :)

6 hours ago, Symphonie said:

Basically, le clerk touche uniquement aux médicaments prescrits pour faire payer le patient.

Le tech est à l’accueil, crée les dossiers, prépare les Rx, etc. C’est un assistant technique en pharmacie —>ATP

Ahhh je vois. As-tu une idée de où regarder pour appliquer comme clerk? Site d'emplois ou directement à la pharmacie?

Archived