Premed 101 Forums

Interview with top choice program, do you tell them?

Do you mean applying to CaRMS, or applying to medical school?

If the former, assuming they already like you as a strong candidate (if they don't, it won't help much), I would suggest indicating your strong interest in the program, ideally based on the program factors/strengths that make it an excellent fit for you, as well as your personal desire to live in that city/location. Programs may take generalized declarations of interest with a grain of salt (especially when a candidate hasn't attended all their interviews yet), so it's helpful to provide solid reasons to support why you feel their program is an ideal fit (therefore the advantage of having done an elective there so you can speak from personal experience). From the program's viewpoint, this gives them the added security of ranking someone who is motivated to thrive there.

If the latter, I don't think it matters.

8 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

Do you mean applying to CaRMS, or applying to medical school?

If the former, assuming they already like you as a strong candidate (if they don't, it won't help much), I would suggest indicating your strong interest in the program, ideally based on the program factors/strengths that make it an excellent fit for you, as well as your personal desire to live in that city/location. Programs may take generalized declarations of interest with a grain of salt (especially when a candidate hasn't attended all their interviews yet), so it's helpful to provide solid reasons to support why you feel their program is an ideal fit (therefore the advantage of having done an elective there so you can speak from personal experience). From the program's viewpoint, this gives them the added security of ranking someone who is motivated to thrive there.

If the latter, I don't think it matters.

Yep for CaRMS. 

But got it thanks. Should I emphasize personal reasons a lot? Ex. family ties or SO also wanting to move to that area

Yes, I would mention the family ties. It helps make your interest more convincing/sincere and programs would like to know that you have a personal support system. Your personal reasons will be noted as long as you have mentioned them in your personal statement/interview, and I wouldn't emphasize them to the detriment of other factors - you want to avoid making it sound like your outside commitments might interfere with your availability to the program. 

Archived