Premed 101 Forums

McGill M.D.,C.M. Interview Invites / Regrets 2019

cardiomed

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, brutabella said:

Could be, but then the odds of getting admitted post-interview would be much higher than previous years...

It says that the expected number of spots for IP this year is 79, which is a lot lower than 90.... so the odds are the same or a little worse imo

4 minutes ago, brutabella said:

Could be, but then the odds of getting admitted would be much higher than previous years...

They used to interview less people, couple of years ago. The thing is, every applicants pays the same amount of money when they submit their application forms, and people who do the interviews are not charged extra money (like the French schools do). So for the school, there is no real benefits of interviewing more people. 

Just now, alokozay said:

It says that the expected number of spots for IP this year is 79, which is a lot lower than 90.... so the odds are the same or a little worse imo

If I remember correctly it's close to last year's number, although it ends up being higher if you count the waiting list (so up to 90+ or so)

2 hours ago, verycaffeinated said:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/currentapplicantstats

The average GPA increased from 3.88 to 3.90 (for IP) and the number of invites decreased for both IP and OOP :o

a sad year for low gpa who aren’t NTP, at this point I’d need a nobel prize on my CV for its 10% worth to compensate enough for my gpa. Now it’s a very different game than 2 years ago when they invited me with my 3.6 gpa. Not even sure that it is mathematically possible to get in now, haha

33 minutes ago, Elgar said:

If I remember correctly it's close to last year's number, although it ends up being higher if you count the waiting list (so up to 90+ or so)

What do you mean when you say 'when you count the waiting list'. If you're on the waiting list, you're not admitted?

12 minutes ago, nutrimed said:

What do you mean when you say 'when you count the waiting list'. If you're on the waiting list, you're not admitted?

Depends what's your rank on the WL :P

Let's say they have 79 spots, and 11 people decline the offer,  those spots will be offered to those on the WL, so 90 people total will get an offer.

19 minutes ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

Does anyone know if 220-ish IP interviews are gonna be the new norm for upcoming years??? or do you think its just a one time thing? :( 

The Quebec government started to reduce the number of seats a couple years ago. I'm not sure in what year it was supposed to reach the target number and stop decreasing further, but in any case the amount of seats will not be increasing in current circumstances so it makes sense that the amount of interviews is proportional to that 

33 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

The Quebec government started to reduce the number of seats a couple years ago. I'm not sure in what year it was supposed to reach the target number and stop decreasing further, but in any case the amount of seats will not be increasing in current circumstances so it makes sense that the amount of interviews is proportional to that 

Yikes... it just seems such a huge jump from 299 interview invites this year to -> 220. Only time will tell i guess 

3 hours ago, brutabella said:

Could be, but then the odds of getting admitted post-interview would be much higher than previous years...

1 hour ago, Thistimenextyear said:

Where did you see the expected # of spots is 79 for IP? Thank you

3 hours ago, nutrimed said:

Where does it say that the expected number is 79?

for those asking

https://mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u

On 1/30/2019 at 9:20 PM, Al22 said:

a sad year for low gpa who aren’t NTP, at this point I’d need a nobel prize on my CV for its 10% worth to compensate enough for my gpa. Now it’s a very different game than 2 years ago when they invited me with my 3.6 gpa. Not even sure that it is mathematically possible to get in now, haha

I got an interview this year with a 3.62 gpa (with letter of EC) in the IP category- so it is still very much worth applying !!! 

7 hours ago, beso9973 said:

I got an interview this year with a 3.62 gpa (with letter of EC) in the IP category- so it is still very much worth applying !!! 

Thank you for the support and hope :) I am happy for you!!

I saw in your earlier post that your EC was about your 1st year that was low, with a high GPA afterwards. Since my GPA was constant in all semesters of my undergrad I never thought to write a letter of EC. It would seem silly to tell them that all my courses were affected, no? :/ 

TIME STAMP: 10:00am [Update: 3:53pm, Friday Feb 1 2019) 
Result:
 Waitlisted--"Reviewed-Decision Pending"--->[Update: Further Review Required (invite)]

Feeling about Casper: Prepped lightly for about a month or so, did some practice tests and scenarios. Felt pretty good about it. 
Year: 4th year of Anatomy and Cell Biology (graduating this spring)

IP/OOP/International: IP

Letter of EC: No

Super excited to interview! 

6 hours ago, Osler said:

TIME STAMP: 10:00am [Update: 3:53pm, Friday Feb 1 2019) 
Result:
 Waitlisted--"Reviewed-Decision Pending"--->[Update: Further Review Required (invite)]
cGPA: 3.88
Feeling about Casper: Prepped lightly for about a month or so, did some practice tests and scenarios. Felt pretty good about it. 
Year: 4th year of Anatomy and Cell Biology (graduating this spring)

Letter of EC: No

Super excited to interview! 

Congrats! What were your EC activities if you don't mind me asking?

On 1/28/2019 at 11:02 AM, Gervaan said:

TIME STAMP: around 10:00
Result:
Waitlisted (Reviewed - Decision Pending)
cGPA: 3,92
Feeling about Casper: I did my application quite late and didn't have time to prep for the Casper test much, but I felt good afterwards...I guess if I wasn't rejected it wasn't that bad
ECs: Not much, mainly 1 summer research internship (with a CRSNG gran) and some work for Health Canada as I completed my B.Sc full time. Volunteering throughout the years for various causes but not that many hours in each case.
Year: graduated B.Sc Biology in 2018, currently doing my PharmD (1st year)

Letter of EC: No

Comments (Optional): this is my first time applying so I guess I'm happy it wasn't a rejection...hopefully I'm not too far on the waiting list and it will move a few spots :/ 

EDIT: just got off the waiting list!

Good luck to everyone who is still on the list, anything can happen!

On 1/28/2019 at 10:07 AM, RD2BE said:

TIME STAMP: 9:50 AM EST (checked Minerva)
Result: INVITE!!!!
cGPA: 3.50
Feeling about Casper: Felt pretty great - it was my second time writing it and I felt so much better about it than the first time 
ECs: A lot of leadership, research (in multiple areas), teaching (all levels), community involvement, work ( a lot of ECs)
Year: Finished Masters - working as an RD

IP/OOP/International: IP NTP

Letter of EC: Yes 

Comments (Optional): Med deserves diversity in its applicants, so apply! Even if you don't think you have a chance

Wow! Does the master count more than the B.Sc in the score?

Archived