Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets 2019

TIME STAMP: March 25th, 2019 1:48 pm EST

Result: Regrets 

wGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 516 (130/128/130/128) 

ECs: Lots of research (2 first author, 2 oral presentations, won awards for each presentation.), activities with leadership, varied employment (construction, farming, then lab research). Not sure how well my essays reflected my ability, perhaps poorly.

Essays: I spent a lot of time on them and I was very proud of them. 

Year: 5 years to complete UG. Working now.

Geography: IP 

Simultaneously surprised and not surprised. UofT values high GPA and doesn't care about the MCAT. They must have a reason, it must suit their teaching style at their school. Realistically, I am the antithesis applicant (my cGPA is around a 3.69, but I am pretty sure they don't look at that? Maybe when it comes down to splitting hairs at end of cycle picking people to interview they dive a bit deeper and saw my first two years were pretty poor).

TIME STAMP: March 25 2019 

Result: Reject 

wGPA: 3.93

MCAT: Above cut-offs 

ECs: Thorough and diverse: combination of research, leadership and volunteer activities with longevity and a lot of traveling. Good enough for OOP UBC. Strong reference letters. 

Essays: Spent around 1-2 weeks writing them and had my partner read/edit with me. I didn't know exactly what they were looking for but I really liked what I wrote. 

Year: 2nd Year MSc (Definitely in the graduate student pool as my CV is research heavy) 

Heartbroken! If anyone has any ideas how I can strengthen my application, I am all ears! I'm thinking I just didn't get the luck of the draw this year... 

Time/Date: 11:33am March 25, 2019

Result: Refused (MD, graduate applicant stream)

cGPA:  3.5 (I had a very serious extenuating circumstance for which I wrote an academic explanation essay, but I guess it was not good enough)

MCAT: 519 (Phys/Chem: 129 | CARS: 130 | Biol: 130 | Psyc/Soc: 130)

Publications: 2 first author; 1 third author; 20 peer-reviewed international/national and local abstracts published; 10 oral presentations internationally and nationally, for which I received multiple best presentation awards. I held multiple research grants and awards during my graduate studies at McGill. 

EC: Very diverse and long term. For instance: Peer Supporter at the Canadian Cancer Society, Montreal's Sexual Assault survivors' Helpline, Toronto's Regent Park Christian Resource Centre volunteer, Research Institute of McGill University Research Ethics Board Member, McGill University Senate Grievance Committee member, McGill University Post-Graduate Student Society Governance Committee Member, McGill Faculty of Medicine Cyclical Academic Review and Accreditation Committee Member, shadowed a paediatric nephrologist at Montreal Children's Hospital, etc. 

Essays: Wrote them the day before the deadline, and foolishly did not have them reviewed by anyone. Do NOT do this mistake, I had very good personal stories for each essay but because I wrote them last minute and didn't have them peer reviewed, I myself find them quite atrocious when reading them back. 

Reference Letters: I know for a fact that they were very strong, I had to overcome a lot of adversity throughout my life, and my mentors/referees made sure to touch on those points and emphasize my resilience. 

I just finished my graduate degree at McGill, and currently work as a clinical research coordinator and research assistant at the Research Institute of McGill University Health Centre.

Geography: IP (though currently living OOP) 

TIME STAMP: March 25th, 2019 1:50 pm EST

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 518 (132/126/131/130) 

ECs: Veteran, humanitarian, researcher

Essays: I spent a lot of time on them, proof red them 

Year: 3rd year

Geography: quebec

Comment: I had trouble finding people who would be ready to write letter of recommendation for me since I lived in a francophone  environment (France and Congo) all my life with little to nobody who speaks english. had even to ask one of my referee to translate it, and he was nice enough to pay for the translation himself.

I feel that there is no chance with for me in ontario since I have a problem getting the letters (and impossible to know how they are weighed)

TIME STAMP: March 25th @2:05

cGPA: 3.94 

wGPA: 3.98-3.99

MCAT: 516 

ECs: Pretty good. 1 pub and 3 years of research, first aid stuff, club exec, long term 

Essays: Thought they were good but who knows

Year: 4th 

I'm still disappointed but glad to finally get the result

Replying late, but did not want to give anyone a heart attack who was waiting. Just adding for archival purposes

TIME STAMP: January 31st, 12:51PM

Interview Date: February 24th (MD)

Result: Invite

cGPA: 3.96 wGPA  (3.78 cGPA)

MCAT: above cutoffs  

ECs: Extensive, long term, and very unique (I got interviews at all the EC heavy schools)

Essays: Worked on these for two months

Year: Masters done, 3rd time applying

TIME STAMP: March 25th @ 1:43

cGPA: 3.96

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 522 (128/132/131/131)

ECs: NSERC USRA, 2 years research, poster at conference, government jobs, exec of sex ed club, volunteered at hospital, facilitated study group leader (volunteer), gymnastics coach, other small jobs 

Essays: Worked on them for a few days, should have gotten someone to edit them though :(

I think they wanted betted ECs and maybe my references weren't strong enough 

TIME STAMP: 2:03PM March 25th 2019

GPA:  4.0

MCAT: 514 (Above cutoffs)

ECs: One publication, over 1000 hours of research, 2 NSERC USRAs, many long-term volunteering positions (executive positions and community outreach)

Essays: I spent a good month on the UofT essays and had several people (including current medical students) look them over

Year: 4th year UG

TIME STAMP: March 25th @ 1:43

wGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 516 (129/128/130/129)

ECs: Provincial-level athlete, teaching, lots of awards, one research project in neurology. 

Essays: Worked on them for a few days, though

they were okay. 

TIME STAMP: 1:51 pm March 25th

Results: Regrets

wGPA: 3.90 (don't do engineering kiddos lol)

MCAT: met all cutoffs

ECs: couple hundred hours of hospital volunteering,  community volunteering (as an exec), design team exec, some arts related things, 1 research poster (won an award), a few summer internships for engineering, involvement in a few school councils, and some other smaller things

Essays: lightly worked on them for a few weeks, thought they were decent

Year: 4th UG 

TIME STAMP: 1:49 pm March 25th

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: met all cutoffs

ECs: Varsity athletics, a little bit of research experience, president/founder of an on campus club, musician, scholarships/awards...

Essays: Wrote them the weekend before, thought I hit some good points (apparently not haha)

Year: 4th UG 

Time Stamp: 1:51pm March 25th

wGPA: 3.8~ish

MCAT: 519 (128/132/130/129)

ECs: 2 years of research (few conferences, 1 publication), exec on a handful of clubs, some team sports

Essays: spent a lot of time on them, got them edited by strong writers

Time Stamp: March 27

wGPA: 3.6

MCAT: 510 (128/125/128/129)

ECs: A lot of extracurriculars (volunteering, arts, sports you name it) and extensive research for 7 years (including 3 first author publications and 7+ conferences). 

Essays: I thought they were great! Worked on them for 2-3 weeks, got a lot of feedback and edits (including current medical students). 

Year: Conferred PhD

Geo: IP

I need honest advice, do I stand a chance with this GPA?