Premed 101 Forums

Pathway 4

Shansw

Hello, I am an IMG and last year completed my Internal Medicine training from US and now American Board of IM certified. Due to personal reasons I have to move to Canada and currently hold Permanent Resident status and residing in Ontario.

I am eligible for Pathway 4 but at this point don’t know where to start the whole process, should I look for jobs first that provide supervision or start with restricted licensing? Totally clueless about system here.

Would be really grateful if anyone can help.

Thank you.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 11:46 PM, Vivbia said:

Hi there, I am in similar situation. Sorry, I can’t answer your question but would you be able to share your experience if you have already given it a shot. 

I know many Internal medicine pathway 4 working easily in clinics and the hospital in the Toronto area. Not hard at all

Hello,

So it has been a year since I last posted my query, but thankfully I have been practicing in Ontario as an internist now.

Basically for pathway 4 you need to have a supervisor to even get your license, which actually means you should have signed up a job which is ready to wait for 4-5 months for you to join, as licensing process for pathway 4 can take this much time easily.

After you have found a supervisor, rest of the process is pretty self explanatory from the CPSO form on their website for pathway 4.

• 2 months later...

Pathway 4 is a good way to get licensed in Ontario. If you find a supervisor (not that hard if you know where to look), you will be on a "Restricted Licence". That just means that you will have to work at the same location as your supervisor and have monthly meetings. The supervision is very light. 

Hello

I am a Canadian medical student and I would like to apply for the US internal residency programs. I have 2 Qs:

1- Are there certain US internal residency programs that are IMG friendly?? because I will be a Canadian graduate. so, I am an IMG for the US programs

2- I would like to ask for the USA internal medicine residency training programs that allow me to write the Canadian Royal College internal medicine exam after I finish residency in USA.

thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 1:55 PM, heeach said:

Hello

I am a Canadian medical student and I would like to apply for the US internal residency programs. I have 2 Qs:

1- Are there certain US internal residency programs that are IMG friendly?? because I will be a Canadian graduate. so, I am an IMG for the US programs

2- I would like to ask for the USA internal medicine residency training programs that allow me to write the Canadian Royal College internal medicine exam after I finish residency in USA.

thanks a lot

Hello there , I am an IMG at internship year at a US ACGME University programs.

You are not an IMG your are still a CMG,. you have. a good chance in matching at TOP tier US academic programs in IM coming from Canada..check the nrmpl list to see how many CMGs applied and got accepted, basically all of them .. that might not be the case though for IR DERM Nurosurg and ENT.
you don't ask the residency program to write your Royal college exam, you can do it when you qualify for it by having the minimum 4 years of PGY training.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your insight. I am also in US after three year internal medicine residency working as a hospitalist and looking into going back to Ontario. I'm pathway 4 eligible.

Shansw- you said you have been practising successfully- congratulations! Are you still under supervision?

I am being told that it's tough to get employed for people like us without having done chief year or fellowship in the USA- what are your insights about this since you are already in the process?

• 1 year later...