Premed 101 Forums

Extremely lost, What to do next?!

10 minutes ago, Roomscape said:

I have no money, even with loans and selling my family's house I cannot afford it. Plus I heard that residency chances except for US MDs are very low as well

Money issue is real but it’s not that hard to come back. Lots and lots of IMGs everywhere now in the GTA. In fact almost all new hires are IMGs it seems 

1 hour ago, Aconitase said:

Money issue is real but it’s not that hard to come back. Lots and lots of IMGs everywhere now in the GTA. In fact almost all new hires are IMGs it seems 

I don't think I've ever met staff in real life who seem to recommend IMG as much as you seem to on these forums... Really curious why.

There's strong survivor bias in what you're seeing at the staff hiring level though. For every one IMG that gets residency or a job, there are 10+ others who did not make it but still shoulder all or part of the debt of an international medical school (depending on if they get stuck after graduation or have to drop out before getting there, which many do). I have many friends, colleagues and acquaintances who went the IMG route over the years and not a single one of them recommend it. It's a viable option if you are top of your class at the international institution and are able to get local connections to where you'd like to end up for residency somehow. The academic aspect is such a huge risk (what if you really struggle for a semester adjusting to a new country, new culture, medical school, etc? Many international schools publicly rank all their students, and most are not pass/fail unlike North America), and I would really only recommend it for someone who is 'medical doctor or bust' and prepared to work harder than they ever have in their life. If there are any other careers that someone would be satisfied or content with, I don't see IMG as a good option.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:39 PM, Aconitase said:

On 1/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, Roomscape said:

I have no money, even with loans and selling my family's house I cannot afford it. Plus I heard that residency chances except for US MDs are very low as well

International med schools are a viable option. My brother went through the  IMG route after high school and he matched to a competitive specialty in the US. International schools are definitely an option worth considering, if you are willing to work hard.

Having said so, it is still a very difficult option given the amount of debt that you will have once you finish med school.  My brother says that if he would go back in time, he would stay in Canada and try to get into Canadian med school so he would stay close to us and save money.

Archived