Premed 101 Forums

Why do people want this so bad ?

Aconitase

21 hours ago, intriguing said:

As a clerk I haven't had much experience with the bureaucracy and issues with the system like the staff/residents on these forums have, but I've had my fair share of bad/difficult days. With that said, I've had several times more wonderful days. It's a job that forces you to get to know people and form relationships with them. You get to listen to people at their lowest points and contribute something meaningful to their road to recovery. I honestly couldn't have imagined myself working at a desk or in front of a computer as is expected in most other professional careers these days. I think what helps with my mindset is that I don't see medicine as my passion or calling, it's a job just like anything else. Would I rather be spending my time at the beach instead of the clinic? Sure. Would I rather be at home spending time with my family? Definitely. But at the same time, it's something that has a meaningful impact on people, makes good money, and I have a lot of fun doing it. I think that's what people should be seeking in their career, whether it's in medicine or otherwise. Just don't go in thinking that medicine will necessarily be the thing that will give your life purpose and meaning. 

LOL. Most physicians having to do copious dictations and documentation, except maybe the ED docs lol. 

46 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

LOL. Most physicians having to do copious dictations and documentation, except maybe the ED docs lol. 

Yeah but they’re not just sitting at their desk for 8 hours straight. My previous career had a bunch of documentation, whether in the computer, tablet, or legal notes. Still you enjoy the parts that is NOT spent just at the desk. Did I hate my job? Nah it was fun, but I know medicine will be more meaningful work regardless if I sit at a desk or fill out paperwork half the time. And I think that’s what some people are looking for. 

Personally I wonder if I would have enjoyed a job where I sat in an office and worked on a computer more than medicine...

Medicine can be rewarding if you have enough time with patients.. but in today's day and time, it is simply mentally and physically taxing, especially when you have little time/patient and you are forced to see patient-to-patient, sometimes every 5-10 minutes.

The documentation and paperwork in family medicine is usually overtime work that is poorly compensated, so it is not an adequate comparison to what is entailed in other office type jobs.. Additionally, you would be surprised by the number of patients that try to manipulate the government insurances systems, like ODSP, and you have to be the one to fill out their forms..not rewarding.. just my personal opinion. 

Archived