Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Toronto doctor loses licence after she admits to sexual relationship with cancer patient


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, PilotMD said:

This is very saddening for the medical community at large - no one wins here. The government and her colleagues invested time and money into her training and the population was to reap the benefits of that investment. That skill set/talent is now wasted. 

Let me clearly define my position before going further - her punishment is absolutely warranted. It is clear (from the facts available for us to review) that she is not fit to practice medicine. It does nothing but strengthen our relationship with patients when they know harsh punishments are handed out by our governing bodies for inappropriate conduct. My personal feeling (having read the facts available to me - however, as a disclaimer, I do not know this person) is that she has deeper issues (personality disorder, lack of insight, sexual addiction, etc). The reason I feel this way is the manner in which she conducted herself - 1) Giving out her instagram contact early in the relationship (you should NEVER do this btw - IF I give any contact information to my patients, it is my work email that can serve as medico-legal documentation if required) 2) Continuing to treat the patient despite engaging in a sexual relationship (this is wrong on so many levels that I wont go into it - here's a general rule for those in training (and practice): IF YOU HAVE EVER OR ARE TREATING A PATIENT, DO NOT ENGAGE IN SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THAT INDIVIDUAL, EVER) 3) Engaging in sexual acts while the patient is in hospital receiving active treatment (......WTF) 4) Breaking up with said patient because you are committed to a relationship with a colleague (which was also an affair - again, highlighting poor decision making).

This demonstrates to me that there is some other issue at play here (again whether it be a personality disorder, sexual addiction, lack of insight, etc). While some of these decisions may not be rare or 'illegal' with regards to practicing as a physician (engaging in an affair, connecting with patients via social media) engaging in a sexual relationship with a patient and the constellation of these poor decisions points to a deeper issue. Ultimately, she is not fit to practice medicine (nor be in any position where there is a 'power dynamic'). 

I am glad that the CPSO has handed out harsh justice - it is a reminder to all of us that we sit in a very privileged and powerful position and that with our patients our decisions should always be guided by the notion to 'First do no harm'. 

My thoughts

I wonder, if she keeps her self out of the media for a few years, and changes her name - she could probably squeek a license in the US if she really is smart about things.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read the news coverage of what happened and definitely felt like she had crossed a boundary, but then I read the hearing summary on CPSO and feel awful for her. It was two consenting adults (seems l

I mean yes, it's sad that someone who invested that much time and effort into their training to become an oncologist is now no longer able to practice, but also don't date your patients. It's somethin

Everyone typing here is a medical student or a pre-med, so we're all naturally going to be nudged towards the physician's POV. But I think it's important to set aside our biases and consider other per

39 minutes ago, sWOMEN said:

You also can't willy-nilly change your name after you have been charged and convicted of a crime. Even being charged triggers a separate form you've to fill out when applying for a name change

As far as I'm aware, she hasn't been charged of a crime. She lost her license based on an investigation by the College. The College =/= police, and losing your Ontario medical license =/= getting a criminal record.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

I wonder, if she keeps her self out of the media for a few years, and changes her name - she could probably squeek a license in the US if she really is smart about things.  

 

1 hour ago, insomnias said:

Wouldn't they ask for a certificate of good standing..?

 

1 hour ago, sWOMEN said:

You also can't willy-nilly change your name after you have been charged and convicted of a crime. Even being charged triggers a separate form you've to fill out when applying for a name change

Very little inter-college communication is the key message. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, la marzocco said:

 

 

Very little inter-college communication is the key message. 

I know that it's happened that doctors get licenses here/in the US despite having been sanctioned in another jurisdiction. I just don't understand how. The Colleges here seem to ask for certificates of good standing from everywhere you've worked, so...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, insomnias said:

I know that it's happened that doctors get licenses here/in the US despite having been sanctioned in another jurisdiction. I just don't understand how. The Colleges here seem to ask for certificates of good standing from everywhere you've worked, so...?

Yeah never been quite sure about why that happens - sometimes maybe a rule in one place just isn't applied in another but most places all the big stuff would be all the same. Assuming the applicant did inform them of the prior sanctions of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

21 hours ago, la marzocco said:

 

 

Very little inter-college communication is the key message. 

My point exactly. 

Anything is possible, and if she plays her cards right, she can probably end up practicing in middle-of-nowhere America in 5 years. May take some deceit and lying, but at least she could perhaps have some sense of her lively hood back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

I can only hope someday she gets back to medicine. For those that never worked or trained with her you missed seeing something special 

I hope she never practices or sees a patient again. She knows what she did. Especially in the context of oncology, absolutely disgusting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

I can only hope someday she gets back to medicine. For those that never worked or trained with her you missed seeing something special 

I don't know... it's really poor judgment. Not sure she should be entrusted with other people's lives. The college's ruling is severe but nevertheless appropriate imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 12:58 AM, tavenan said:

This thread is proof that no matter how severe the wrongdoings of a hot chick, there will always be people lining up excuses and looking for any justification to treat them with kids gloves.

 

There is something fundamentally wrong with North American culture, because I don't see this in other parts of the world. 

-

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 1:17 AM, tavenan said:

Lol what are these comments. Imagine if this was a male physician or a less attractive female. Don't let the halo effect blind you, this is an open and shut case, she should lose her license. Don't sleep with patients, and a personal rule for me, don't date classmates or colleagues (the former is obviously infinitely more problematic than the latter). In this case this physician broke both rules as she broke off a relationship with a patient to start a new one with a colleague... Really have to question her decision making here. 

why do you think dating a classmate is infinitely more problematic than dating a colleague?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 11:04 PM, YesIcan55 said:

I sincerely hope you're trolling at this point. I don't care if she is your sister for has the cure for cancer in her mind for God's sake. What she did is absolutely disgusting on all levels....but what is more sickening is people like you with comments like this... I only wish to imagine how this doctor will be vilified (rightfully so) if the exact same case happened and he was a male..and how many comments like this we would get (oh poor woman, she cant practice medicine, she's such an awesome person who is so smart but she made just a mistake, oh its not surprising, she decided to fricken sleep with her cancer patient....in the hospital... then end the relationship and be with a coworker....I'm at a loss of words. Shame on you. 

Are you a resident or practicing  doctor ? 

 

I knew her personally. I helped trained her. Do you see why maybe I would have a softer spot for her than others. I know she’s not a bad person and she worked hard. 

 

We never know know what’s going on in people’s heads. Who knows why she did what she did.

 

I had had a colleague who lied and stole prescriptions and forged our names to get narcotics. He lied to us so we would write him prescriptions. He stole our pads and forged our signatures. 

 

He got 5 months!!! That’s it, and he was also charged with a crime!

 

So yes obviously she did something horrible and indefensible. However she didn’t rape anyone or commit a crime. Yet she loses license forever and guy above gets a slap on wrist?

 

So I am not trolling  I just wish there was a way she could one day work again 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

Are you a resident or practicing  doctor ? 

 

I knew her personally. I helped trained her. Do you see why maybe I would have a softer spot for her than others. I know she’s not a bad person and she worked hard. 

 

We never know know what’s going on in people’s heads. Who knows why she did what she did.

 

I had had a colleague who lied and stole prescriptions and forged our names to get narcotics. He lied to us so we would write him prescriptions. He stole our pads and forged our signatures. 

 

He got 5 months!!! That’s it, and he was also charged with a crime!

 

So yes obviously she did something horrible and indefensible. However she didn’t rape anyone or commit a crime. Yet she loses license forever and guy above gets a slap on wrist?

 

So I am not trolling  I just wish there was a way she could one day work again 

 

She didn't get charged with a crime, she is simply suspended to practice medicine in Ontario. As others said, she could definitely start a new practice in the States. 

Regarding your colleague stealing narcotics prescription, if he were a staff physician, I am sure that the sanction would have been much heavier. I know a few cases like this, where physicians with addiction issues have to be followed by the Physician Health Program with frequent psychiatrist reports and drug testing (not a fun road and they could suspend your practice at anytime). As you said, your colleague was charged with a crime. 

I don't think that the College's decision is harsh. No matter where she practices medicine in Canada, the college's decision would have been the same across the country. I would be surprised if she didn't lose her license. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LittleDaisy said:

She didn't get charged with a crime, she is simply suspended to practice medicine in Ontario. As others said, she could definitely start a new practice in the States. 

Regarding your colleague stealing narcotics prescription, if he were a staff physician, I am sure that the sanction would have been much heavier. I know a few cases like this, where physicians with addiction issues have to be followed by the Physician Health Program with frequent psychiatrist reports and drug testing (not a fun road and they could suspend your practice at anytime). As you said, your colleague was charged with a crime. 

I don't think that the College's decision is harsh. No matter where she practices medicine in Canada, the college's decision would have been the same across the country. I would be surprised if she didn't lose her license. 

People keep bring up the US route - when I had to get my US licence for my fellowship I was required to provide all disciplinary sanctions to them as a part of the application. Their rules on doctor patient relationships are similar to Canada's. All this makes me think the US route is not as automatic as people are stating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

People keep bring up the US route - when I had to get my US licence for my fellowship I was required to provide all disciplinary sanctions to them as a part of the application. Their rules on doctor patient relationships are similar to Canada's. All this makes me think the US route is not as automatic as people are stating. 

Makes sense, I feel really sorry for her to lose her ability to practice medicine after 9-10 years of postgraduate training, and our medical system who have trained her, and her colleagues who have worked with her.

Regardless, what she did was unethical and highly unprofessional, no matter where she practiced medicine in Canada or U.S, the sanction would have been the same. 

We learnt in medical school from day 1, that you should set professional boundaries with patients, and being romantically involved and sexually involved with patients while actively treating them is beyond limits.

I don't really know what to say and why physicians continue to cross the boundaries and violate the code of ethics, when they know clearly what they do is wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

People keep bring up the US route - when I had to get my US licence for my fellowship I was required to provide all disciplinary sanctions to them as a part of the application. Their rules on doctor patient relationships are similar to Canada's. All this makes me think the US route is not as automatic as people are stating. 

Step 1: Name change
Step 2: figure out how to get legal documents name changed
Step 3: apply and dont tell them about sanctions
Step 4: work hard in middle of nowhere, keep head down, amass alot of $$ until you eventually get caught if someone bothers to sort out name change and google you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

People keep bring up the US route - when I had to get my US licence for my fellowship I was required to provide all disciplinary sanctions to them as a part of the application. Their rules on doctor patient relationships are similar to Canada's. All this makes me think the US route is not as automatic as people are stating. 

Many states are as strict as Canada. However, there are many states who would take still take her if she was able to show some rehabilitation and maybe some practice restrictions. I know of one physician who had their license revoked for patient sexual relations and is now practicing in the US. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aconitase said:

Are you a resident or practicing  doctor ? 

 

I knew her personally. I helped trained her. Do you see why maybe I would have a softer spot for her than others. I know she’s not a bad person and she worked hard. 

 

We never know know what’s going on in people’s heads. Who knows why she did what she did.

 

I had had a colleague who lied and stole prescriptions and forged our names to get narcotics. He lied to us so we would write him prescriptions. He stole our pads and forged our signatures. 

 

He got 5 months!!! That’s it, and he was also charged with a crime!

 

So yes obviously she did something horrible and indefensible. However she didn’t rape anyone or commit a crime. Yet she loses license forever and guy above gets a slap on wrist?

 

So I am not trolling  I just wish there was a way she could one day work again 

 

The addict didn't have sex with an patient though. Still wrong, just a different kind of wrong. 

if she wanted to be in a relationship with him, she should have stopped also being his physician. 

Theres really no gray area to this. She's not rurally in the middle of nowhere, where maybe you can make the arugment of low supply of possible mates. 

She's messed up, and these are her consequences.  Rules are rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...