Premed 101 Forums

Study tips?

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone could shed light on how they do well; honestly I am still trying to figure out realistic study goals. I have a midterm in like 3 days and I wasnt worried because I kept up with the material and reviewed it; but testing myself now I am drawing blanks in things I KNOW I reviewed. And 3 other ones next week. I have labs on the same day of all my midterms all of which have tests. I was keeping up with the material and reviewed it after each lecture but I have no idea why when I review these things it's like I'm reviewing it for the first time; where I see others not come to class and retain info; is there a secret to it? I rewrite my notes and like read them over but I just have a hard time reconciling the info; I really want to do perfect this semester but I know it wont happen if I dont change my habits because clearly what ive been doing isnt working for me. I just dont get it. 

58 minutes ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Wrote something on another post a while back. Look through it and if there's anything feel free to ask.

thanks thats really helpful! just a question about the 2 week thing; my midterms are like 4 days after the newest material I learn like for instance I have a lecture this thursday with a midterm on that material on monday: how do you prepare for something like that when you're literally being taught the material 4 days prior to your test? do you read ahead? Because when I read ahead I never know what stuff the prof emphasizes on and it ends up being a waste of time because they'll say to skip a specific topic and focus on this and what not 

1 hour ago, reticularlamina said:

thanks thats really helpful! just a question about the 2 week thing; my midterms are like 4 days after the newest material I learn like for instance I have a lecture this thursday with a midterm on that material on monday: how do you prepare for something like that when you're literally being taught the material 4 days prior to your test? do you read ahead? Because when I read ahead I never know what stuff the prof emphasizes on and it ends up being a waste of time because they'll say to skip a specific topic and focus on this and what not 

I skimmed over CardiacArrhythmia's tips and think they're pretty good. The foundation of effective studying is discipline and spaced repetition, and holds true whether you're in undergrad, med school, or residency. However, it's important to make sure what you're doing actually works, and that you're not simply going through the motions.

If you've been taught new material just a few days before the test, then the approach differs depending on who you are. For some people, material taught that recently doesn't require extensive revision since it's so fresh in their minds. Personally though, if a lecture was taught on Thursday and being tested Monday, then I would still make sure to have gone through it at least 3 times (therefore once daily) beforehand. It's the same amount of effort as other lectures, but all upfront. Some things simply need to be brute forced when there's so little time. The other thing is to clarify questions you have asap, because complex material still needs to be understood.

22 hours ago, Intrepid86 said:

I skimmed over CardiacArrhythmia's tips and think they're pretty good. The foundation of effective studying is discipline and spaced repetition, and holds true whether you're in undergrad, med school, or residency. However, it's important to make sure what you're doing actually works, and that you're not simply going through the motions.

If you've been taught new material just a few days before the test, then the approach differs depending on who you are. For some people, material taught that recently doesn't require extensive revision since it's so fresh in their minds. Personally though, if a lecture was taught on Thursday and being tested Monday, then I would still make sure to have gone through it at least 3 times (therefore once daily) beforehand. It's the same amount of effort as other lectures, but all upfront. Some things simply need to be brute forced when there's so little time. The other thing is to clarify questions you have asap, because complex material still needs to be understood.

Thanks for the response! Honestly I feel like I am going through the motions; like I'll study but it's simply studying to say I studied; i force my self to be in the library until 11 every day but I just feel like what I am doing isnt actually effective. Do you have any specific tips and tricks to actually make studying effective or things you found you did that helped? Did you go to textbooks; any specific youtube channels? Or is talking to prof's the key. 

Archived