Premed 101 Forums

NTP Qualifying Year

Hi there!

Does anyone have experience with the qualifying year that might be required of NTP applicants? Is it a direct entry into med school guaranteed type of thing (if you successfully complete the year) or would you need to reapply?

Has anyone here actually completed the qualifying year at NTP?

Thanks!

Just now, RD2BE said:

Hi there!

Does anyone have experience with the qualifying year that might be required of NTP applicants? Is it a direct entry into med school guaranteed type of thing (if you successfully complete the year) or would you need to reapply?

Has anyone here actually completed the qualifying year at NTP?

Thanks!

It's if you succeed the year with the min GPA (If they have for ex. maintaining a min 3.5 GPA - this you'd have to check). I do know that you do NOT need to reapply to get into MED-1

3 minutes ago, RD2BE said:

Thank you! Do you know anyone who's completed the qualifying year?

I'm interviewing for MDCM IP this year, and I don't know anyone who is interviewing for NTP or who has completed the qualifying year tbh. I read up on the NTP as well a few months ago, here's what I found for you: 

Successful NTP applicants will be admitted to a Qualifying Year (QY) to be undertaken chiefly in the Faculty of Science. NTP students in the QY Year must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5, with no grades lower than a B in order to continue on into the 4-year M.D.,C.M. program.  In order to determine which Qualifying Year courses will be required, Non Traditional Pathway candidates will be asked to submit  a detailed account of their knowledge of the Science concepts to the QY committee (see document on this page: www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites )

• Exceptionally, NTP candidates may be exempted from the Qualifying Year.  Determination of exemption is examined on a case-by-case basis by the QY committee.  The following types of information will be considered:
    • Recent work, research or advanced studies in the relevant field (See note regarding eligibility for Quebec-University pathway under “Eligiblity Requirements” above)
    • MCAT score (2015 exam or later); score must be available by May 1, 2019
    • Transcripts updating all missing/expired prerequisite courses submitted by May 1, 2019 (either at CEGEP, university, or through a distance education university program).

Link: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/ntp 

1 hour ago, RD2BE said:

So I'm actually interviewing for NTP this year - but there isn't much info on what a qualifying year really looks like :/ Hopefully they'll have more info at the interviews!

I think it might be similar to pre med requirements, depending on your academic background. If you look at the Student Ambassador page for McGill medicine, there are some that took the NTP route. Maybe contact the email address given and ask to be put in touch? They might be the best people to answer your questions. All the best for the interview! Is your interview with the IP candidates or pre med candidates? 

Yes you would basically do the year that pre-med 1 students ( who are being accepted from cegep would be doing) I molecular bio 200, 201, statistics is on it for sure, and not sure what else and have to have a minimum of a 3.5/4 on GPA to be admitted onto to Med. 

A person I know from last year who was NTP was re-taking the courses at the same time as she was applying to do the interview for NTP- she started re-taking them in the fall so by the time she got an acceptance, she had basically re-done the prerequisites so she made the case to admissions and they exempted her from them. So my guess if you have done those same prerequisites here in Canada, at a Canadian university they would exempt you. Even if their expired. If you have done them outside canada such as the current individual you would not be exempt and have to do qualifying year premed or re-do them somehow bedore you start Med. The person took night classes at Concordia and UdeM I believe to complete the prerequisites.