Premed 101 Forums

Showing early interest in multiple specialties

My goal has been to do FM/EM and work in a rural/peri-urban setting where I can split my time between FM clinic and EM. I'm currently an executive on my school's EM interest group and have been thinking about applying for an executive position on the family medicine interest group as well. These are both sincere interests of mine, and I think I'd enjoy both leadership roles. However, I worry that when it comes to CARMS I'll look uncommitted, indecisive, or insincere, and that will undercut my ability to make a case for applying to (and hopefully matching) to either specialty. Would it do more harm than good to hold both positions? 

If you want to do FM and EM then you'll pursue FM which isn't particularly difficult.

If you really want EM only then it is one of the more fairly competitive specialties and will require more effort.

Do whatever you want with the positions. I don't think it really matters to be honest. From what I understand these types of involvements are relatively minor considerations.

The main signal of intent/interest will be your allocation and geographic distribution of clerkship electives. Make those count. In your personal letters you also have the opportunity to convey your personal reasons as to why 'x' program and why 'x' school.

While I can appreciate your concern, it isn't something to worry about.

If you want FM/EM, don't pursue EM. I don't see what the trouble is? Nobody really cares what group you chair.

Given that you want to do rural FM with EM, it will be easy to explain your EM electives for your FM interviews. It will probably clear in your letter. Being EM chair fits that narrative easily.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, carmscarmscarms said:

for anyone who matched to a spot via CARMS that they didn't expect, there is now a new website for students/residents to talk about swapping (just like residencyswap.org in the US):  

https://www.residentransfer.com/

•  

50$ one time fee,!? the number of potential users is very small, and its not as easy to swap/transfer as it is in the US.  

Instead of 50$, someone just make a seperate thread and people can make new accounts and post their situations. 

39 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

50$ one time fee,!? the number of potential users is very small, and its not as easy to swap/transfer as it is in the US.  

Instead of 50$, someone just make a seperate thread and people can make new accounts and post their situations. 

Its a scam

1 hour ago, carmscarmscarms said:

for anyone who matched to a spot via CARMS that they didn't expect, there is now a new website for students/residents to talk about swapping (just like residencyswap.org in the US):  

https://www.residentransfer.com/

•  

How can a website not affiliated with carms nor any universities be able to help anyone with a swap? $50 for a talking platform? How is it any different from the premed101 messaging board?

Archived