Premed 101 Forums

Not sure if you've heard of the PRAISE program at Sick Kids, but its a cool way to get some experience recruiting for studies and also get exposure to peds emerge if that's something you might be interested in. It runs for 6 months at a time and is 5 hour/week commitment (1 shift per week). http://www.sickkids.ca/HealthcareProfessionalsandStudents/training-opportunities/clinical-research/index.html

You could also get to know your community more, especially those in vulnerable populations such as youth, elderly, indigenous, etc. Downtown Toronto is populated with not-for-profit organizations that are constantly seeking helpers - e.g. with food insecurity increasing, there are quite a few food banks with a shortage on volunteers to aid in the operations for their clients. 

17 hours ago, dryorku said:

Hey all. So I've accepted that I'm not getting an interview from UofT and figured I should start thinking about what I'll be doing this summer.

I've done hospital volunteering & research, I currently "work" (10 hours a week) as a coordinator for a science outreach program. But I want to spend this summer doing one or two particularly unique activities, where I contribute a good amount of time and effort.

I'm not saying "tell me what to do", but I would appreciate if anyone has some examples of things that they've done and enjoyed, or maybe they've heard other people do and thought "wow, that sounds interesting".

Thank you :) good luck everyone

There is no EC that you could do in a couple months in the summer that would "truly" make someone go "wow, that sounds interesting". I don't know much about your application, but I find that 90% of applicants have similar/standard ECs. Some people may have more experience in one area (i.e. volunteering vs. research vs. employment), but overall there is very little difference. Often the difference is in how passionately and genuinely people can talk about their experience and relate it back to what they've learned and why it will make them a good physician. Find something you enjoy and do that because it's the only way you can write about it for an application or talk about it without sounding rehearsed and generic during an interview. Spend lots of time on next years apps.

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, m_jacob_45 said:

Not sure if you've heard of the PRAISE program at Sick Kids, but its a cool way to get some experience recruiting for studies and also get exposure to peds emerge if that's something you might be interested in. It runs for 6 months at a time and is 5 hour/week commitment (1 shift per week). http://www.sickkids.ca/HealthcareProfessionalsandStudents/training-opportunities/clinical-research/index.html

Hey, I know this is super late, but at what periods do they take applications for the PRAISE program? Right now everything says TBD and sessions start in May. Did I miss it? 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:28 AM, dryorku said:

Thank you. As much as it sucks to accept, I know this is the case. I'm trying to find something I can start now so the commitment is ~6 months rather than 4, which I know still isn't a "long term commitment".

At any rate, any ideas about interesting/unique programs or organizations are appreciated. Maybe I'll see something that I think fits well for me, or it will inspire a different idea.

Just pick something you like doing. The most impressive EC I saw was from an applicant that organized a bunch of kids to play ball hockey since they couldn’t afford skates and he liked playing ball hockey. 

another one was from a computer oriented person that spent his time developing a chess move reader that was bought out. 

literally as long as you pick something you care about and like it will shine through

On 12/20/2019 at 11:00 AM, mp6 said:

Hey, I know this is super late, but at what periods do they take applications for the PRAISE program? Right now everything says TBD and sessions start in May. Did I miss it? 

On the website, it says applications for the May 2020 term are opening in Feb/March. Also, it looks like the program has changed a few parameters since I did it a few years ago (i.e. its now 4 month terms with a two shift per week commitment, so ~10 hours per week). It was a really good experience though, I would definitely recommend. It also helped me with finding other research positions after.