Premed 101 Forums

OOP acceptances

1 hour ago, getrich said:

Anyone know the numbers for OOP interviews and how many are accepted? 

I'm not sure about how many OOP get interviews but I believe they typically accept 9 OOP. Last year, they accepted more because the number of NB applicants who were accepted was lower than the 30 they typically take. 

12 hours ago, getrich said:

Anyone believe NB will bomb cars like last time or was that just an anomaly? 

I'm not sure I understand. If you bombed CARS, wouldn't that mean you wouldn't even have gotten an interview in the first place?

Or is that what you meant? I apologize for being thick.

1 hour ago, 2023orBust said:

I'm not sure I understand. If you bombed CARS, wouldn't that mean you wouldn't even have gotten an interview in the first place?

Each applicant needs to meet a minimum interview score and pass casper. Last year, a majority of the NB applicants did not hit their mark for interview score. As a result, there was additional seats available at the NB campus that went to OOP students. The NB students bombed the interview (if you will). 

1 hour ago, yeeewww said:

Each applicant needs to meet a minimum interview score and pass casper. Last year, a majority of the NB applicants did not hit their mark for interview score. As a result, there was additional seats available at the NB campus that went to OOP students. The NB students bombed the interview (if you will). 

Ok, the reference to cars threw me off. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, rapschem said:

Do they let you know what position you are on the waitlist?

No, the university does not inform you where you stand. There is typically a premed 101 forum where you can anonymously poll your quantified application score. The success of the poll depends on people contributing their results. However, the quantified score does not tell you an applicant's Z-score, so you will sometimes see students with numerically smaller scores be offered admission over others. 

3 minutes ago, yeeewww said:

No, the university does not inform you where you stand. There is typically a premed 101 forum where you can anonymously poll your quantified application score. The success of the poll depends on people contributing their results. However, the quantified score does not tell you an applicant's Z-score, so you will sometimes see students with numerically smaller scores be offered admission over others. 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, 2023orBust said:

I meant to say bombed casper. They gave the NB spots to OOP because NB applicants were below 25 percentile of casper which disqualified their application.

1 hour ago, getrich said:

I meant to say bombed casper. They gave the NB spots to OOP because NB applicants were below 25 percentile of casper which disqualified their application.

Ok, the lights are slowly coming on...

The pool to select to interview was smaller due to poor performances on Casper, which led to a smaller number being given offers?

2 minutes ago, 2023orBust said:

Ok, the lights are slowly coming on...

The pool to select to interview was smaller due to poor performances on Casper, which led to a smaller number being given offers?

Yes. The NB applicants didn't reach the quartile so were rejected. Their NB spots opened up to OOP which is why they accepted an extraordinary amount of OOP last year. I was curious if it'd happen again this year.

12 minutes ago, getrich said:

Yes. The NB applicants didn't reach the quartile so were rejected. Their NB spots opened up to OOP which is why they accepted an extraordinary amount of OOP last year. I was curious if it'd happen again this year.

Thanks for the response.

I read on the Dean's report from last year that only 30 offers were made, and as we now know, 25 were accepted.

Does anyone know how many interviews were conducted for NB applicants last year?

From 2018 Dean's Report:

Class of 2022 admissions offers were sent to 30 eligible New Brunswick applicants. Final confirmation of acceptances is expected by August 2018. There is the possibility that if eligible NB applicants decline our admissions offer, there will be less than 30 NB students at the DMNB campus. If this situation arises, admissions offers will be sent to waitlisted Non-Maritime applicants. Consideration and discussions regarding increased recruitment efforts to NB student groups is ongoing. The change in Place of Residence criteria may have a positive effect on the number of Maritime applicants for upcoming application cycles.

"Place of Residence criteria was revised for the upcoming 2018-2019 application cycle to include special categories for applicants who have completed 6 years of post-secondary study in a Maritime Associate and Assistant Dean Annual Reports 2017-18 23 province and active regular force RCMP/Canadian Air Force personnel who may be required to move out of province" 

very interesting..

11 hours ago, hartk48 said:

"Place of Residence criteria was revised for the upcoming 2018-2019 application cycle to include special categories for applicants who have completed 6 years of post-secondary study in a Maritime Associate and Assistant Dean Annual Reports 2017-18 23 province and active regular force RCMP/Canadian Air Force personnel who may be required to move out of province" 

very interesting..

I wonder how many additional applicants became eligible for IP status through this route. :huh: 

3 minutes ago, getrich said:

Not many. They'd need to do UG and then a Master or work 2 years. Maybe 10 at most

Yeah, agreed. It can't be many. I went to Dal for my undergrad, and I opted out of the masters route given the rules for IP eligibility at the time. You were not able to be enrolled in post-secondary education to have your time spent living in the province to count. So dumb. 

4 minutes ago, yeeewww said:

Yeah, agreed. It can't be many. I went to Dal for my undergrad, and I opted out of the masters route given the rules for IP eligibility at the time. You were not able to be enrolled in post-secondary education to have your time spent living in the province to count. So dumb. 

You can still go back. It looks like the 6 years don't need to be consecutive. 

Archived