Premed 101 Forums

MDtoBe_97

I'm in a similar position. I would strongly suggest against taking the full courseload during the school year unnecessarily. Take the summer courses. No school cares about what your major is.

Edit: did not see you are rewriting the MCAT during the summer. Yeah don't take 4 courses during the summer and study for MCAT. Write it early in summer before your courses pick up.

my suggestion would be to take the 5th year and focus on the mcat this summer. i wouldn't advise taking 4 courses while studying for it. you've demonstrated that your GPA is high, so maintaining that in a 5th year shouldn't be a problem for you. 

the only real problem i see here is the time spent doing the 5th year - but you can use that entire year to better other parts of your application. a year will fly by much faster than you think. there's no stigma at all towards doing a 5th year. 

I am confused about the issue.   Its only Feb 4th. Is this a winter term half-credit course that you have already given up on ?    What could your mark be in the course if you finish it and then what would your 4th year GPA and cGPA look like (estimated) ?    You don't need a 4.0 to apply to medicine.  Your cGPA is already so high that you are not in need of weighting.   Taking a whole 5th year so you can drop 1 course does not make sense.   You also delay a whole year of your life.       

Archived