Premed 101 Forums

Schulich MS1 here... I've attached all my interview prep. materials from last year. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have!

Title pretty much says it all. I'm a MS1 at Schulich, and last year I made a website with all my MCAT resources and all my interview resources too. I'm guessing if you're reading this you've already done the MCAT, but you might find my interview prep materials useful. 

You can find it all here - https://ultimatepremedpackage.ca/interviewing/

Please let me know if you have any questions! Of course, I can't tell you what questions they asked me, etc., but I can give general information about the day or whatever.

I might see some of you for your interview day, but if not - good luck! You'll do great! 

20 hours ago, VanillaUK said:

Title pretty much says it all. I'm a MS1 at Schulich, and last year I made a website with all my MCAT resources and all my interview resources too. I'm guessing if you're reading this you've already done the MCAT, but you might find my interview prep materials useful. 

You can find it all here - https://ultimatepremedpackage.wordpress.com/interviewing/

Please let me know if you have any questions! Of course, I can't tell you what questions they asked me, etc., but I can give general information about the day or whatever.

I might see some of you for your interview day, but if not - good luck! You'll do great! 

Wow thanks a lot man!

On 2/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, Cyanlater said:

I didn't know about the letter of intent. Did you send a letter of intent to Western after interviewing?

Letter of Intent is much bigger in the states, and I don't know if they're completely necessary here, but I sent one anyway because it definitely can't hurt your chances.

I sent a short email the day of my interview to the general point of contact for admissions, simply saying that I really enjoyed having the opportunity to interview at the school, and asking if they could pass on my thanks to my interviewers for their time. 

Then, a week later, I again contacted the general point of contact for admissions with another email, this time with a Letter of Intent attached. The admissions office replied to me and told me that they had put my letter on my file. 

All you need to know about writing one of these letters can be found from the links on my website. They don't take too long to write, they show that you are mature and professional, and who knows - they could be the one thing that tips the scale in your favour. 

Best of luck! 

55 minutes ago, beeboop said:

letter of intent is 101% NOT needed. I dont know anyone in my class that did it. I also interviewed applicants last year and I can tell you as soon as the interview is done and your "score" is handed in the interviewer has no more say in who gets in or not.

Do you know who does determine who gets in at that point? I know it is mainly based on the score but isn't there a meeting of some of the ppl who conducted the interviews for the final say for who gets in? I have heard it works like that at other schools so I assume Western would be similar.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, beeboop said:

im assuming the admissions commitee handles that. As an interviewer you score the applicant but you only see 4 out of the hundreds applying, so im guessing the admissions committee looks at all of the scores from there.

Okay cool, thanks. So the admission committee isn't the same as ppl who interview? Maybe just some of those who did interviews make up a smaller admissions committee? or is it a group of completely separate people? I was always curious as to how this worked.

2 hours ago, mothernature said:

Okay cool, thanks. So the admission committee isn't the same as ppl who interview? Maybe just some of those who did interviews make up a smaller admissions committee? or is it a group of completely separate people? I was always curious as to how this worked.

A physician, A medical student, and a community member make up the panel and score you. That score is taken by the admissions committee and compiled into a ranking list I believe.

I had a general question about UWO medicine interviews. How are they structured? I know it's a panel, so are they very focused on traditional style interview questions or ethics/scenario based questions. As well, what exactly does the written portion entail? How much would you recommend preparing for this portion and how would you do so?  

11 hours ago, shockvolt said:

I had a general question about UWO medicine interviews. How are they structured? I know it's a panel, so are they very focused on traditional style interview questions or ethics/scenario based questions. As well, what exactly does the written portion entail? How much would you recommend preparing for this portion and how would you do so?  

Western has a 3-person panel (senior medical student, physician, community member), and you will get a pretty broad range of questions. Be prepared for classics like "tell me about yourself", traditional "tell me about a time you (insert CanMEds role)", and a few ethics/scenario questions that might be linked to current concerns in healthcare.

For the writing portion, you're asked to summarize an article. You can't (and really shouldn't) prepare for it- your time is much better spent on interview prep.

Archived