Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Invites 2018/2019

Time Stamp: 05/02/2019 -- 18:00 (EST)
GPA: 3.93
MCAT: 128
Geography: OOP
Academic year: Graduated BSc 
EC's: Some things in my Top 10 are quite dated and others from a few years ago so I guess that's what probably lost me some points (like athletic achievements and some of my leadership employment positions). I do believe that I have good diversity and valuable experiences at least but next year I hope to improve on what things I include/exclude and write about them more effectively. 

GPA: 3.61

MCAT: 511 (129 cars)

Year: Masters completed

ECs: research, abstracts/presentations, publishing my thesis, variety of community service activities related to my passions (sexual health, justice, peer support), as well as full-time employment/internships

To all those discouraged--this is my second time applying to UofC (first time was a clean rejection pre-interview). There is a C+ on my undergrad transcript (in THIRD year!) that I thought there was no recovering from. I accidentally slept through a physics lab in first year. I graduated below the average gpa for my major (one semester I had a 3.08!). I scored in the ~40th percentile the first time I wrote in the mcat; the second time I wrote it, I got three hours of sleep the night before my mcat because I was staying with a friend who lived near a frat house (oops). It sounds implausible that I would be given an MMI invite, but if I can make it to this stage, then honestly so can most people! Apply again if you need to, and in the meantime, continue to engage in things that you're good at and that are meaningful to you! Whether that's work, volunteering, advocacy, writing, grad school, sports, what have you. Best of luck to everyone interviewing! 

11 hours ago, UWCC said:

Time Stamp: 05/02/2019 -- 18:00 (EST)
GPA: 3.93
MCAT: 126/128/127/132 (513)
Geography: OOP
Academic year: Graduated BSc '18
EC's: Some things in my Top 10 are quite dated and others from a few years ago so I guess that's what probably lost me some points (like athletic achievements and some of my leadership employment positions). I do believe that I have good diversity and valuable experiences at least but next year I hope to improve on what things I include/exclude and write about them more effectively. 

I don't think it matters, I have included experiences that are 8 and 10 years ago and still got invited. I think the important thing is to show diversity and continuity of volunteering/EC/community involvement.

Hello All,

New here.  This was my second time applying to U of C. The first time I didn't even come close to an interview.

Time Stamp: 3:33 PM MST (which is crazy as 333 is my fav number)
GPA by UCAN: 3.64
MCAT: 129 CARS
Top 10: Instructor, president of a medical brigade club, Rotary work, volunteering, research, Travel, personal experiences.

Congrats and good luck to those who received an invite and for those who did not keep trying as it can be so subjective!

• 11 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, chipotle101 said:

GPA: 3.61

MCAT: 511 (129 cars)

Year: Masters completed

ECs: research, abstracts/presentations, publishing my thesis, variety of community service activities related to my passions (sexual health, justice, peer support), as well as full-time employment/internships

To all those discouraged--this is my second time applying to UofC (first time was a clean rejection pre-interview). There is a C+ on my undergrad transcript (in THIRD year!) that I thought there was no recovering from. I accidentally slept through a physics lab in first year. I graduated below the average gpa for my major (one semester I had a 3.08!). I scored in the ~40th percentile the first time I wrote in the mcat; the second time I wrote it, I got three hours of sleep the night before my mcat because I was staying with a friend who lived near a frat house (oops). It sounds implausible that I would be given an MMI invite, but if I can make it to this stage, then honestly so can most people! Apply again if you need to, and in the meantime, continue to engage in things that you're good at and that are meaningful to you! Whether that's work, volunteering, advocacy, writing, grad school, sports, what have you. Best of luck to everyone interviewing! 

Hello! I'm so interested in the background details you've shared. Can I ask-- since you had a graduate degree, was your GPA based on the final two years of your undergrad? As in, your final GPA score was determined by the following:

your first year was dropped

second year was replaced by masters GPA

and final 2 undergrad years were included.

Many thanks for your time, and congratulations on your success with securing an interview!