Premed 101 Forums

Interview Prep Timeline

Hey y'all!

Does anyone have any insights on how to prep for the Queen's interview? This is my first interview and I'd be grateful for any insights. I'm particularly interested in the prep schedule past or current applicants used to prep. How much time does that average applicant devote per day/week?

There is no magic number or schedule that will prepare you for the interview. I can promise you that the questions designed in either the MMI or panel section will not enable you to have amazing answers for every question or scenario. My best recommendation is to write out your experiences and what you learned from each (match to CanMEDS competencies). If you want to be most prepared, I suggest working with a partner and asking the most absurd panel questions you might typically gloss over (I.e if you found a genie lamp and had 3 wishes, what would you wish for?). You can easily prepare for traditional MMI scenarios (UBC document with 15 pages floating around) or generic panel questions, but that wont suffice for when you are thrown off guard with an out of the box question. When you can answer absurd questions while remaining calm and collected,  then I think you will be more than ready for anything come interview day. Be creative, have fun, and do not fall victim to the idea that there is a formula for answering everything. At the end of the day they want to learn about you as a person, they don't care anymore about grades or MCAT at this stage. 

Practice is the most important. I aimed for twice a week, about 1.5 hours each session. Practicing with friends, strangers, med students, anyone you can get your hands on is important. And structure in your answer is very important, that was the main difference between my two interviews at Queen's, and well it worked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, Instagrammar said:

There is no magic number or schedule that will prepare you for the interview. I can promise you that the questions designed in either the MMI or panel section will not enable you to have amazing answers for every question or scenario. My best recommendation is to write out your experiences and what you learned from each (match to CanMEDS competencies). If you want to be most prepared, I suggest working with a partner and asking the most absurd panel questions you might typically gloss over (I.e if you found a genie lamp and had 3 wishes, what would you wish for?). You can easily prepare for traditional MMI scenarios (UBC document with 15 pages floating around) or generic panel questions, but that wont suffice for when you are thrown off guard with an out of the box question. When you can answer absurd questions while remaining calm and collected,  then I think you will be more than ready for anything come interview day. Be creative, have fun, and do not fall victim to the idea that there is a formula for answering everything. At the end of the day they want to learn about you as a person, they don't care anymore about grades or MCAT at this stage. 

The panel interview is completely separate from the MMI interview right? I heard from someone that the panel is just a "station" within the MMI but I'm not sure if this is true?

31 minutes ago, hopetobeadoc said:

The panel interview is completely separate from the MMI interview right? I heard from someone that the panel is just a "station" within the MMI but I'm not sure if this is true?

MMI is done first thing, then they bring all candidates to a new room where you get called individually to your panel

Archived