Premed 101 Forums

UofT 2019 Application Discussion Thread

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should haven't have been - not deleted but rather discussion purged a bit as we always have 2 threads on things here. One with just the stats and a separate discussion thread. This makes the threads useful in the future to skim quickly for a sense of what is going on. 

I will take a look :)

2 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

It should haven't have been - not deleted but rather discussion purged a bit as we always have 2 threads on things here. One with just the stats and a separate discussion thread. This makes the threads useful in the future to skim quickly for a sense of what is going on. 

I will take a look :)

I wasn't sure about this when it was brought up but it makes a lot of sense for people who are looking for previous cycles' stat posts. Thank you for cleaning up the 2019 thread!

8 minutes ago, dryorku said:

I wasn't sure about this when it was brought up but it makes a lot of sense for people who are looking for previous cycles' stat posts. Thank you for cleaning up the 2019 thread!

No problem - it is always a bit annoying jumping between the discussion and stat pages but as you can imagine there is just going to be a ton of "when will they come out" posts - and that is fine but it makes it harder to read with them :)

The answer to that when question is hopefully soon for those still hanging around. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, KeyzerSoze said:

At this point not all the applications have even been looked at yet. And somehow I got rejected already-- with a 3.96 GPA, decent ECs (I actually thought they were really good ECs, but I didn't have any research pubs) and glowing reference letters (referees told me they were great). This is weird. Something in my application must have made them go "ugh, ew, no". I didn't think my essays were terrible, but who knows. Or maybe because I'm third year, but I still thought if I deserved a rejection it would be in March.

Nobody really knows the logistics of how they conduct their evaluations, but they have stressed out a few times that the date in which you receive an interview invite or rejection is not reflective of your ranking among other applicants. 

No one can really tell you, unfortunately. If you did get flagged, why didn't other schools flag you? Could it be verifiers? Essays weren't proofread enough? We could brainstorm this, but it may be best to just call and ask if the rejections sent out were because you did something horribly wrong on your application. But because it's UofT, it was probably ECs/essays/year. I have a friend in third year who got an interview last year, but she was right on the last interview date, which she believes was the "waitlist" date. She has a 3.96GPA (wGPA of 4), as well as extensive research. Who knows. 

4 hours ago, lurker25 said:

Nobody really knows the logistics of how they conduct their evaluations, but they have stressed out a few times that the date in which you receive an interview invite or rejection is not reflective of your ranking among other applicants. 

Yeah and I think that is shown out a lot from their past actions - do not take the order in which you are accepted or rejected to mean anything in terms of relative strength. 

It is always hard for 3rd years to get in but those that do try that route either get in or learn a great deal about the process and are stronger the following year. Main downside is taking the rejection hard - which is something I would caution against. 

7 minutes ago, hiyayosup said:

I noticed that some people got invites today. Is it safe to assume that no email yet from UofT means you're rejected? I think I saw somewhere on this forum that they send most of their regrets March onwards and I think UofT is closed soon for reading week? This is frustrating.

There are still three more days to fill for interviews? 

23 minutes ago, Instagrammar said:

There are still three more days to fill for interviews? 

Hi Instagrammar,

This is my first time applying to UofT and I'm not familiar with their rolling interview invites system at all. Sorry if my question was silly! I just read somewhere that regrets are sent in March so I wasn't sure how it works. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:43 PM, hiyayosup said:

I noticed that some people got invites today. Is it safe to assume that no email yet from UofT means you're rejected? I think I saw somewhere on this forum that they send most of their regrets March onwards and I think UofT is closed soon for reading week? This is frustrating.

No, it would not be safe to assume that.

Their interviews run all the way into April, and they say they try to send out invitations approximately 2 weeks before your assigned interview date (in rare occasions even 3 business days before if there's a cancellation). 

For future reference: http://applymd.utoronto.ca/2018-–-2019-admissions-cycle-updates does monthly updates regarding the state of the application process. It appears nearly all files have undergone review, and they are now organizing the applicants by interview date.

"We are entering the final phase of our file reviews; the process is nearing its completion for all applications received through OMSAS. In the meantime, we will continue to contact verifiers between the hours of 9AM – 5PM.

Our first MPI day has concluded. The schedule for the MPI Day 2 is being finalized and is nearly full at the moment. However, please note that to ensure all spaces are filled from last minute availabilities, invitations could be sent up to 3 business days prior to the MPI Day (see our interview schedule here).

All admissions decisions (invitations and refusals) will continue to go out throughout the cycle in small groupings."

Archived