Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Writing the canadian DAT


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Starburst said:

No you just have to study early during the summers or Christmas break. Everyone has to do, it's not that bad. 

Hey, you've applied to US IVY. I'm currently in the 90's in second year and yet to write the DAT. Is Michigan not a public school? How are their views on accepting out of state and out of country? What should one aim to achieve before applying to US ivy? EC's + do they look at all years of undergrad study when calculating gpa?

ty

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chickentenders said:

Hey, you've applied to US IVY. I'm currently in the 90's in second year and yet to write the DAT. Is Michigan not a public school? How are their views on accepting out of state and out of country? What should one aim to achieve before applying to US ivy? EC's + do they look at all years of undergrad study when calculating gpa?

ty

 

It's one of best top-tier public schools in the US and has one of the lowest tuition fees so it's extremely hard to get in out of the country. To my knowledge i'm the only Canadian who got in so far this cycle. For your second question most US Ivys look at research, extracurriculars, high DAT scores and things that you've done that make you stand out. GPA is important too but they look at your application holistically. GPA is calculated with all years of undergrad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Starburst said:

It's one of best top-tier public schools in the US and has one of the lowest tuition fees so it's extremely hard to get in out of the country. 

Starburst congrats on getting into Michigan that's absolutely amazing! I've been accepted to NYU and Tufts (leaning towards Tufts), while still waiting on Western. Are you still interested in Canadian schools or are you 100% going to Michigan? I'm going back and forth on what decision to make for myself. I've been so blown away by the American schools and it makes sense that they're facility and resources are amazing because so much money goes into them. But that's also they're downfall - they're expensive. Do you know how Canadian schools, or more specifically Western, measures up? I haven't been able to tour or get a sense of their curriculum. Do you know how Canadian dentists view American vs. Canadian school grads? I know one dentist I worked with sees a Canadian graduate and is impressed but I'm unsure if this is widespread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HopefulDDS said:

Starburst congrats on getting into Michigan that's absolutely amazing! I've been accepted to NYU and Tufts (leaning towards Tufts), while still waiting on Western. Are you still interested in Canadian schools or are you 100% going to Michigan? I'm going back and forth on what decision to make for myself. I've been so blown away by the American schools and it makes sense that they're facility and resources are amazing because so much money goes into them. But that's also they're downfall - they're expensive. Do you know how Canadian schools, or more specifically Western, measures up? I haven't been able to tour or get a sense of their curriculum. Do you know how Canadian dentists view American vs. Canadian school grads? I know one dentist I worked with sees a Canadian graduate and is impressed but I'm unsure if this is widespread.

Thanks and congrats! I'm staying at Michigan since I did my undergrad here and loved it. There's just so much more opportunities to specialize here than any of the Canadian Schools so I declined my interviews from Canadian schools. To give you an idea more than half the class at Michigan specializes right after dental school which is not possible in Canada since you need to do a year of GPR. I also don't think facilities will matter tbh, it depends on what the school you're looking at offers and how they will make you a better dentist. For example, certain schools might let you do perio surgery on the floor or place implants whereas other schools don't let you. As for your last question, I've actually heard the opposite where American grads are better trained lol. But at the end of the day your patients won't care if you're trained in Canada or America as long as you pass your boards and get your licence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starburst said:

Thanks and congrats! I'm staying at Michigan since I did my undergrad here and loved it. There's just so much more opportunities to specialize here than any of the Canadian Schools so I declined my interviews from Canadian schools. To give you an idea more than half the class at Michigan specializes right after dental school which is not possible in Canada since you need to do a year of GPR. I also don't think facilities will matter tbh, it depends on what the school you're looking at offers and how they will make you a better dentist. For example, certain schools might let you do perio surgery on the floor or place implants whereas other schools don't let you. As for your last question, I've actually heard the opposite where American grads are better trained lol. But at the end of the day your patients won't care if you're trained in Canada or America as long as you pass your boards and get your licence. 

I was not aware you needed to do residency before specializing in Canada. That's very interesting and something to consider. However, at the moment I'm not planning to specialize (but don't want to count it out).

How do you know which schools allow students to do procedures that others don't? From my knowledge, that isn't marketed or known by your interviewers when visiting.

And to clarify, I don't think the dentist I mentioned to believes Canadians are better trained, but that they are cream of the crop students for getting into a Canadian dental school. There also seems to be a trend of 'trained in the US, stay in the US'. I'm not sure if this is because it's harder to come back for one reason or another (salary, more opportunity, etc.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BROSCIENTIST said:

This is not true.

Correction: Sorry most* do. For the ones that don't, it's favoured that you do one.

@HopefulDDS You have to ask current students what procedures they let you do. It's not documented. And ya I think most people who study in the US stay here probably because of salary and opportunity. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...