Premed 101 Forums

16 hours ago, Monocyte said:

It’s because of the way you’re ranked post-interview. 

People who place in a particular “bin” of an interview score are then ranked according to their GPA. 

Example: if the highest bin is a hypothetical 4.0, and your GPA is 4.0, you’ll be at the top of the acceptance list and acceptances are send in descending order until they exhausted that bin and go to the next one, where the highest GPAs are again chosen. 

Is this actually verified? I have seen this idea placed over the forums, but there is no way they assign 575 candidate scores into 8 discrete bins. There are 3 interviewers, and each interviewer has a score sheet made up of multiple criteria with the highest value being 4. It is much more likely there is a continuous spread of interview scores that are formulated from the average score between these interviewers, rather than discrete bins. Otherwise, there is no way to reliably differentiate a 4 from a 3.5, or even a 3.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monocyte said:

Evidence for the bin system on this forum is quite convincing, and largely stems from waitlist movement threads. 

You'll always notice that the calls off the waitlist are in perfect descending order of GPA and after it gets to about 3.90, it suddenly resets back up to 4.0. 

Even so, if they are discrete, they must be in increments larger than 0.5? Maybe 4, 3.8333, 3.666, 3.5 etc etc? Obviously nobody knows for sure, but a 4.0 to one set of interviewers could easily be a 3.5 to another, making it an unreliable tool.

My apologies if I made it sound like it was verified. The 4.0 or 0.5 increments I stated are hypothetical, they could be any arbitrary value. 

The means by which applicants are ordered though remains the same regardless of increment, you move through one pool of interview scores on to the next. 

You're absolutely right, it is an unreliable tool, which is why measures are in place to try and correct it (e.g. 3 on a panel instead of 1). No interview style is perfect, but it’s impossible to eliminate the standards some have to achieve a ‘4.0’ versus others. 

2 hours ago, Monocyte said:

My apologies if I made it sound like it was verified. The 4.0 or 0.5 increments I stated are hypothetical, they could be any arbitrary value. 

The means by which applicants are ordered though remains the same regardless of increment, you move through one pool of interview scores on to the next. 

You're absolutely right, it is an unreliable tool, which is why measures are in place to try and correct it (e.g. 3 on a panel instead of 1). No interview style is perfect, but it’s impossible to eliminate the standards some have to achieve a ‘4.0’ versus others. 

So much luck in this process :(

2 minutes ago, elenaps5 said:

Yeah. What comes to my mind is something like “talk about a time you didn’t see eye to eye with a coworker? What are your weaknesses? Talk about a time you were part of a team?” Etc. At least in my opinion, since those are the questions that can be asked for everyone. 

of course I can't comment as to whether i got those questions or not :)

Archived