Premed 101 Forums

Doing residency in USA on J1 visa being a Canadian Permanent Resident

Hello Everyone,

I am a permanent resident of Canada, having a valid PR Card. I am an International Medical Graduate (IMG) and also ECFMG Certified candidate and applied for the Residency in Pathology (Postgraduate medical training) in the USA. If I get the residency I will go to the USA on a J1 visa for the four years – duration of my residency training. For the J1 visa of the USA, one requirement is Statement of Need document which is provided by Health Canada, and Health Canada confirmed that they will provide me Statement of Need.

My questions are –

1.       What will happen to my Canada PR, because I will not be able to complete 2 years stay in five years duration?

2.       Will I be able to return to Canada after my residency training in the USA?

3.       My family (wife and daughter) is eligible to get J1 dependent (J2) visa; they want to join me in the USA. What will happen to their Canada PR?

Your opinion matters a lot to me, in deciding my future career goal. Looking forward to your swift response.

Thank you.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, dreamforpath said:

Hello Everyone,

I am a permanent resident of Canada, having a valid PR Card. I am an International Medical Graduate (IMG) and also ECFMG Certified candidate and applied for the Residency in Pathology (Postgraduate medical training) in the USA. If I get the residency I will go to the USA on a J1 visa for the four years – duration of my residency training. For the J1 visa of the USA, one requirement is Statement of Need document which is provided by Health Canada, and Health Canada confirmed that they will provide me Statement of Need.

My questions are –

1.       What will happen to my Canada PR, because I will not be able to complete 2 years stay in five years duration?

2.       Will I be able to return to Canada after my residency training in the USA?

3.       My family (wife and daughter) is eligible to get J1 dependent (J2) visa; they want to join me in the USA. What will happen to their Canada PR?

Your opinion matters a lot to me, in deciding my future career goal. Looking forward to your swift response.

Thank you.

Hey ok, so you can find this out on the Immigration page of the government of Canada, but short answer you can risk losing your PR. However, there may be an option to have them put a "hold" on it while you do your medical residency. The issue is that you would be also post-poning your citizenship. But this is definitely something you should double check. 

On 2/23/2019 at 3:53 PM, JohnGrisham said:

Talk to the government directly and ask about your PR and immigration questions.  Why would your rely on anonymous forum members for vital information like this? Your questions have to do with Maintaining PR, and nothing directly to do with being on a J1. 

Thank you for your reply. I already contacted the immigration department; they say we can't inform anything upfront. We will look at your case when you apply for the renewal of the PR card, after doing the residency. Actually, I was looking for someone who has gone through/in the same situation. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2019 at 5:25 AM, dreamforpath said:

Hello Everyone,

My questions are –

Thank you.

Hi.

I am in the same situation and looking for answers for exactly the same questions. Can you please help me regarding this. Did you find the answers. Did you get your SON from Canada or your home country.  Appreciate your time and input.

Thank you

• 2 years later...