Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview impressions

elephante

Now that the McGill interviews are all done, I am starting this thread to discuss how we feel about our interview experiences. (Of course, let’s not talk about specific questions or anything confidential).

Personally, I feel great about three stations, awful about 2 stations that I’m pretty sure I’ve done poorly at, and ok about the rest.  The McGill MMI style is definitely unique. 

18 minutes ago, elephante said:

Now that the McGill interviews are all done, I am starting this thread to discuss how we feel about our interview experiences. (Of course, let’s not talk about specific questions or anything confidential).

Personally, I feel great about three stations, awful about 2 stations that I’m pretty sure I’ve done poorly at, and ok about the rest.  The McGill MMI style is definitely unique. 

what day was your mmi?

25 minutes ago, elephante said:

Same

I feel that i didn't stand out. I feel that i could done better. :( I really mess up 2-3 station as well. 

I definitely bombed 1 station hard. And didn’t do so well on a few other stations (didn’t know what was the point...) and now I’m having flashbacks which I really hope would just go away. I just want to keep busy and not think about it.

having said that I thought it was very well organized and the overall experience was positive.

I'm not really sure about how you guys evaluate your performances. But to me, you seem really hard on yourselves. You guys should be really proud to have gone through this process, and celebrate what you accomplished. 

Good luck to you all. 

The wait is gonna be soooo long....

Don't stress guys! You may think you did poorly, but you have no idea what they are looking for.

I remember some people coming out of the interview last year saying that they nailed it, but never got admitted. While others said they bombed half the interview and got admitted right away. 

No one knows how these things work! It is still such an amazing accomplishment to get an interview and it was great seeing some of you this week!

6 hours ago, mustardyellow said:

Now that all the interviews are done (other than MEDP) I wonder why it takes 1 month to get back to us? I know its not that long but what could they possibly be doing in this time? 

They are making sure the process was fair across all 4 days of MMI, between waves, across different groups on the same day in order to limit as many confounding variables that may have hindered any group's performance. This probably takes time... Moreover, they may meet to discuss if there are any issues or technicalities. The wait for us is tough, but I guess it's better they take their time and diligently assess us. If that means we have to wait a month, then so be it... (easier said than done? Most def).  

6 hours ago, hopefullyafuturedoc said:

Same. I didn't feel like I did anything outstanding. It felt like I just had casual convos in different set ups except for one station where I didn't really know what to say. All that been said, our perception doesn't mean much at this point because none of us really knows what they are looking for in each station. But I agree, the wait will be looooooooonnng. 

On another note, I heard someone mention that they take out the worst and the best scored scenarios. I don't want to spread rumours (if this is false, can someone confirm?). And if it's true, it would make sense why they take their time to finalize the scores and match them up with our science pre-req to get a final ranking. 

Congrats on being done the Interviews! Just a suggestion, don't make yourselves crazy by dwelling on each station for the next month. I can tell you that most people's own impressions about their interview end up ultimately being wrong, because you don't know what they are specifically evaluating at each station. Be proud of where you are at this moment and try to enjoy yourselves for the next month! Time is going to fly by and before you know it you'll get your acceptances. 

2 hours ago, MEDusa said:

Same. I didn't feel like I did anything outstanding. It felt like I just had casual convos in different set ups except for one station where I didn't really know what to say. All that been said, our perception doesn't mean much at this point because none of us really knows what they are looking for in each station. But I agree, the wait will be looooooooonnng. 

On another note, I heard someone mention that they take out the worst and the best scored scenarios. I don't want to spread rumours (if this is false, can someone confirm?). And if it's true, it would make sense why they take their time to finalize the scores and match them up with our science pre-req to get a final ranking. 

I have heard that about the French schools, apparently some does, some doesn't.... but nobody seems to know for sure.  However I doubt McGill would take out the best and worst stations, because I feel it's already super hard to be outstanding in their MMIs.... otherwise everybody would be average. 

20 hours ago, Vendar said:

Don't stress guys! You may think you did poorly, but you have no idea what they are looking for.

I remember some people coming out of the interview last year saying that they nailed it, but never got admitted. While others said they bombed half the interview and got admitted right away. 

No one knows how these things work! It is still such an amazing accomplishment to get an interview and it was great seeing some of you this week!

Ya definitely, last year I came out of there like a champion and thought I did amazing and finally got rejected and ranked a really bad score on the interview. Meanwhile I was reading posts of other people saying they bombed stations and got in (no waitlist). So yeah ... waiting is the only thing we can do now! Anyone re-interviewing this year that recognized the same actors? Lol

17 hours ago, MEDusa said:

Last year someone asked during the post-interview debriefing and we were told that no stations are omitted. 

1 hour ago, 20206111 said:

Ya definitely, last year I came out of there like a champion and thought I did amazing and finally got rejected and ranked a really bad score on the interview. Meanwhile I was reading posts of other people saying they bombed stations and got in (no waitlist). So yeah ... waiting is the only thing we can do now! Anyone re-interviewing this year that recognized the same actors? Lol

Lol that could throw you off for a second. I'm starting to recognize them from our simulation sessions and the experience gradually feels less authentic  

1 hour ago, 20206111 said:

what do you think you did wrong last year, even though you came out feeling good?

1 hour ago, dentdreams101 said:

what do you think you did wrong last year, even though you came out feeling good?

It was my first interview ever last year, I guess I was just impressed by the process, felt like it was an escape room haha. I mean, I think I'm a very happy person with a bubbly personality, maybe they took that as a lack of professionalism... who knows!

4 minutes ago, 20206111 said:

It was my first interview ever last year, I guess I was just impressed by the process, felt like it was an escape room haha. I mean, I think I'm a very happy person with a bubbly personality, maybe they took that as a lack of professionalism... who knows!

in what sense did you show lack of professionalism? How did it show?

• 2 weeks later...

Half the wait period is over :) Even more for some of the earlier interviewees! Feeling pretty much in the same boat as what most have described.

Overall, some good, some average, some that I really don't want to think about. I did not focus on what the station was "assessing" or "evaluating" and tried to be myself. All best to us interviewees!

Archived