Premed 101 Forums

CBD = shorter residency?

NeuroD

6 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Has anyone heard of any residency being shortened thanks to CBD?
It might be too early to tell given that Queen's and a few specialties only started in 2017, but I'm curious if there are any rumblings yet.

Haven't heard of any examples and I'm skeptical it's going to be available on any significant scale. I know it's not a thing in FM, despite being ostensibly competency-based for some time now (found out from a bit of a unique circumstance it's a shockingly firm time requirement, down to the day and even independent of blocks/rotations passed).

42 minutes ago, ralk said:

Haven't heard of any examples and I'm skeptical it's going to be available on any significant scale. I know it's not a thing in FM, despite being ostensibly competency-based for some time now (found out from a bit of a unique circumstance it's a shockingly firm time requirement, down to the day and even independent of blocks/rotations passed).

I imagine it would be tough to shorten a 2 year program. I wonder if there is more freedom in programs like psych/PMR, which are 5 years and have some flexibility with regards to how you spend your time.

7 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Has anyone heard of any residency being shortened thanks to CBD?
It might be too early to tell given that Queen's and a few specialties only started in 2017, but I'm curious if there are any rumblings yet.

In Ottawa I was told no - you cannot finish early but you can end up doing more elective style training. At least that is their approach. 

1 hour ago, PhD2MD said:

I imagine it would be tough to shorten a 2 year program. I wonder if there is more freedom in programs like psych/PMR, which are 5 years and have some flexibility with regards to how you spend your time.

To provide a bit more context, we're talking being unable to finish 1 week early, after having completed and passed the standard number of blocks (including all selectives, electives, and core rotations). Family doesn't exactly lack for flexibility in how you spend your time either, at least in 2nd year. Haven't heard anything different from 5 year programs either, admittedly with less exposure. Residency is still very much a time-based committment.

I never really understood for most people how making it shorter really was all that helpful - sounds great in principle but the problem is that if you are doing any form of fellowship you already booked that so far in advance you cannot take serious advantage of a being done a few months early. Plus if you leave before the end you still have the exam to write - you would have more free time to write it potentially but if you are no longer a resident you aren't getting paid, and not hooked into the all the final exam resources. You could be just "hanging around" that isn't exactly freedom. The only thing that really stuck me is if you were done early and could do a "mini fellowship" that might be useful but it isn't the done 6 months early I am going to go start working kind of scenario. 

Not to mention ha, if you leave your call will get dumped on someone else. Either you are punishing people that didn't finish early then, or you are going to have to complete the rest of your call in some burst before you leave - both sound like a lot of fun.

I don't think they ever had any notion of having people leave early - it could have people leave later but that in theory can still happen right now as well. It is just rarely used. No one really wants you to do anything other than leave exactly on time.

It is more that is just a standard way of making sure everyone gets all the core skills they are supposed to, and can verify that they have done so. I think it probably will be still extremely rare that some is stuck late (like it is now) or really gets to "leave" early. 

16 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

I never really understood for most people how making it shorter really was all that helpful - sounds great in principle but the problem is that if you are doing any form of fellowship you already booked that so far in advance you cannot take serious advantage of a being done a few months early. Plus if you leave before the end you still have the exam to write - you would have more free time to write it potentially but if you are no longer a resident you aren't getting paid, and not hooked into the all the final exam resources. You could be just "hanging around" that isn't exactly freedom. The only thing that really stuck me is if you were done early and could do a "mini fellowship" that might be useful but it isn't the done 6 months early I am going to go start working kind of scenario. 

Not to mention ha, if you leave your call will get dumped on someone else. Either you are punishing people that didn't finish early then, or you are going to have to complete the rest of your call in some burst before you leave - both sound like a lot of fun.

I don't think they ever had any notion of having people leave early - it could have people leave later but that in theory can still happen right now as well. It is just rarely used. No one really wants you to do anything other than leave exactly on time.

It is more that is just a standard way of making sure everyone gets all the core skills they are supposed to, and can verify that they have done so. I think it probably will be still extremely rare that some is stuck late (like it is now) or really gets to "leave" early. 

I see what you mean, given that the Royal college exam is only once/year, and finishing  a full year year is basically impossible. 

Basically you could get yourself some free time to study or focus in a particular area. But that's it.

5 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

I see what you mean, given that the Royal college exam is only once/year, and finishing  a full year year is basically impossible. 

Basically you could get yourself some free time to study or focus in a particular area. But that's it.

and don't get me wrong - free study time is very useful ha. Still for many programs you still need to be there for the rounds etc as that is all prep time anyway, and call for whatever. 

On 3/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, hero147 said:

I have heard of a couple of residency programs finishing in 4 years instead of 5 though specifically in anesthesia and orthopedics.

I heard from some friends that UofO's Anesthesia changed their curriculum to 4 years alongside their switch to CBD in 2016/2017, but recently has switched back to 5 years. 

11 hours ago, ArchEnemy said:

I heard from some friends that UofO's Anesthesia changed their curriculum to 4 years alongside their switch to CBD in 2016/2017, but recently has switched back to 5 years. 

From what I understand of the Ottawa program, it is back to a 5 year program by default with the option of graduating in 4 years for highly motivated individuals.

• 4 years later...