Premed 101 Forums

Interviews at UK OT Schools

Hello, 

I have upcoming interviews for OT at Oxford Brookes, University of Essex, and Leeds Beckett University in the UK. For those who have had interviews for UK schools, I am curious as to what to expect during the interview process and how to prepare. 

Thanks!

I applied to some UK schools for PT last year, one of them being Oxford Brookes. Most of the UK interviews I had were pretty relaxed.

They asked me things based on NHS core competencies (ie describing a situation in which I demonstrated compassion), general background info about myself, why I want to become a physio, what qualities I think are important for being a good physio, what I like about their specific school/faculty, and asked about my work/volunteer experiences from my personal statement... OBU also sent me a physio-related video ahead of time and asked a couple questions about it. That's pretty much all I can remember... honestly half the interviews were them just getting to know you and pretty quick. I got a couple random questions here and there... ie asking me to define a word, such as "empathy" or "diversity"..

So I'd say go over the following:

-Review the NHS competencies

-Think of some of your past OT-related or any school/work/volunteer experiences, so that you can pull from them if they ask experience-related questions. ie "Describe a situation where you worked with a team that was not working well. What did you do and what was the end result?".. or describing situations that were problematic, or presented ethical issues, etc..

-Do some research on the schools; things like campus, faculty, cohort/class size, program design.. so that you're prepared to tell them what you like about their school, if they ask

-Why you want to become an OT and important qualities of being an OT

-What you bring to the table. Basically why the school should choose you

-Some of my interviews were Skype interviews and I made some notes ahead of time and quickly referred to them when needed

-Also, if you have any Skype interviews, just check ahead of time that everything looks good on your webcam.. lightning, noise, environment (not messy), distance from screen, etc.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 7:49 PM, jnh676 said:

Hello, 

I have upcoming interviews for OT at Oxford Brookes, University of Essex, and Leeds Beckett University in the UK. For those who have had interviews for UK schools, I am curious as to what to expect during the interview process and how to prepare. 

Thanks!

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted to any of the UK schools you applied to? I've also applied to Oxford Brookes!

2 hours ago, OTdokie said:

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted to any of the UK schools you applied to? I've also applied to Oxford Brookes!

Hey! 

I got an offer from both Leeds and OBU, and chose to go to OBU for September!  I had my interview for OBU at the beginning of March and got my offer a week later!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys!

I got a phone interview for Brunel in a week and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for the interviews? Im from Canada and the forums for UK interviews reflect domestic students so I'm not sure what to expect (I've never done an interview for physio before)

Im super nervous and don't know anything about the UK physio system/current news. My across the pond advisor said its super casual but Im doubting that. 

Also, if you get an interview are you basically in, or do you have to really try hard in the interview to guarantee a spot? 

The fact that my interview is on the phone is reassuring since its at 7am and ill likely look dead. Also I'm seeing a lot of people have Skype interviews so why is mine on the phone?? 

Thanks in advance for your help guys! 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:12 AM, PTbound07 said:

Hi guys!

I got a phone interview for Brunel in a week and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for the interviews? Im from Canada and the forums for UK interviews reflect domestic students so I'm not sure what to expect (I've never done an interview for physio before)

Im super nervous and don't know anything about the UK physio system/current news. My across the pond advisor said its super casual but Im doubting that. 

Also, if you get an interview are you basically in, or do you have to really try hard in the interview to guarantee a spot? 

The fact that my interview is on the phone is reassuring since its at 7am and ill likely look dead. Also I'm seeing a lot of people have Skype interviews so why is mine on the phone?? 

Thanks in advance for your help guys! 

Hi ! I completed my interview for Brighton (and got a conditional offer!) but I genuinely thought it went so poorly. Like, I stuttered and used slang here and there (WOULD NOT RECOMMEND, BUT I WAS SO NERVOUS), but it still went really well. Just show your confidence and interest, and youll kill it.

• 4 weeks later...