Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Feelings - First Weekend

35 minutes ago, collardgreens said:

Did anyone have an experience in the panel where they felt like the interviewers were being rather hostile, cutting you off half way through your answers, etc.? Based on the questions I got, I was really unsure of what they were trying to evaluate. 

They may have cut you off to help redirect your answer; for instance, if you were to go off on what they may perceive as a tangent (i.e. unrelated to whatever they are trying to evaluate you for), they may interrupt you to help you save time and redirect your answer towards something more fruitful. However, I do sympathize with you. Being interrupted can definitely be off-putting

1 hour ago, collardgreens said:

Did anyone have an experience in the panel where they felt like the interviewers were being rather hostile, cutting you off half way through your answers, etc.? Based on the questions I got, I was really unsure of what they were trying to evaluate. 

I had the exact same experience where they cut me off and were definitely a bit hostile, don’t worry!

2 hours ago, collardgreens said:

Yup, happened to me too. Made me question myself a lot since no other panel interview I had was conducted in that manner. 

They stopped to look at the clock for mine, I think they were just conscious of the time limit so they could get through everything with all of us so maybe had to cut in when our answers were taking too long. If we answered like MMI style (5-7 minute monologue) they would only be able to ask 3 maybe 4 questions! 

11 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

So for MMI we should be aiming to present a complete and clear initial answer in about 5 minutes, correct? And then 2 mins for extra Q's? Is there a tone that goes off at five mins or only after 7?

Correct. There is a tone that goes off after 5 mins where the follow up question will be asked, and then a tone indicating the end of the station (at 7 mins)

On 3/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, collardgreens said:

I'M SO GLAD IT WASN'T JUST ME 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, collardgreens said:

Yeah there seems to be a huge variance in terms of people’s experience with the panel. Either they’re hostile or nice af is what I heard.

Me personally I botched one MMI station so hard it’s all I think about. God I replay what I said and all I think is what the actual shit was going through my head for me to have said that LMAO. At least I had fun....kinda-ish 

Overall Queens was really gorgeous. The med building is beautiful. Loved how many cafes there were downtown, even if some of them are on the expensive side haha. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, DrOzuma said:

Yeah there seems to be a huge variance in terms of people’s experience with the panel. Either they’re hostile or nice af is what I heard.

Me personally I botched one MMI station so hard it’s all I think about. God I replay what I said and all I think is what the actual shit was going through my head for me to have said that LMAO. At least I had fun....kinda-ish 

Overall Queens was really gorgeous. The med building is beautiful. Loved how many cafes there were downtown, even if some of them are on the expensive side haha. 

what did you find you did different in the station that you "botched" versus the ones that you think you did better on? Sometimes when I finish a station, I'm not even sure how I feel about it, and I feel like every time I did a station I tried to use my set structure but kept straying from it. 

13 hours ago, hopetobeadoc said:

what did you find you did different in the station that you "botched" versus the ones that you think you did better on? Sometimes when I finish a station, I'm not even sure how I feel about it, and I feel like every time I did a station I tried to use my set structure but kept straying from it. 

i couldnt come up with any decent argument for the opinion i expressed :/. also i couldnt answer the follow up LMAO

1 minute ago, DrOzuma said:

i couldnt come up with any decent argument for the opinion i expressed :/. also i couldnt answer the follow up LMAO

Same... same.. I felt exactly the same for one station. I found the whole prompt and the follow up ridiculously detailed and hard :( I can't stop thinking about that one station. I feel like I'm going to end up with a straight R because of it lol!

3 minutes ago, Premed_Girl said:

Same... same.. I felt exactly the same for one station. I found the whole prompt and the follow up ridiculously detailed and hard :( I can't stop thinking about that one station. I feel like I'm going to end up with a straight R because of it lol!

i feel you sis! hopefully we did so bad on that station they gave us pity marks looooool

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, medabe said:

Does anybody know how much the Queens interview factors in to the overall assessment? Is it 100% interview or some combination of the other factors (Reference letter, GPA, MCAT) and if so, what proportion? 

Post interview, GPA and MCAT are no longer considered. The rank order list for offers is based on ABS/Refs/Interview. I don't believe anyone knows the proportion each contributes to the final score

Anyone know what the subject line for acceptances vs. waitlists vs. regrets are? (Yes, I know its ages away, just wondering)

From searching the forum, seems like waitlists and regrets get a generic subject line (Queen's School of Medicine Admission Status) but was wondering if acceptances are clearer (something like Queen's School of Medicine Admission Offer)?

1 hour ago, ChickenDinner said:

Anyone know what the subject line for acceptances vs. waitlists vs. regrets are? (Yes, I know its ages away, just wondering)

From searching the forum, seems like waitlists and regrets get a generic subject line (Queen's School of Medicine Admission Status) but was wondering if acceptances are clearer (something like Queen's School of Medicine Admission Offer)?

Both my waitlist and acceptance had the same title, Queen's School of Medicine Admissions Status 2018, think rejections are the same. 

14 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

tbh i expect them to contact verifiers, but this is my third year interviewing at Queens and none of my verifiers got anything through omsas... 

Your verifiers and refs have never been contacted in 3 years or just this year so far? That's kind of surprising since the post interview score is based partially on refs...

2 minutes ago, hiyayosup said:

Your verifiers and refs have never been contacted in 3 years or just this year so far? That's kind of surprising since the post interview score is based partially on refs...

Trust me, I'm just as confused. All three years.

These are verifiers who've been contacted by other schools, so it's not like they weren't expecting to get contacted or ignored the emails.  

1 minute ago, chiynadoll said:

Trust me, I'm just as confused. All three years.

These are verifiers who've been contacted by other schools, so it's not like they weren't expecting to get contacted or ignored the emails.  

That is really weird. I wonder if whether your refs are contacted has anything to do with your ranking. Now that I think about it, I've never really heard anyone mention that Queen's contacted their verifiers/refs before...Maybe current QMed students can share their experiences...?