Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2019- secound iteration

Gues

I know one who is an IMG with a master degree in EM (4-year program after 6 years medical school) and 10 years experience in EM and ICU departments with good exams' score and Canadian clinical training and yet no invitation for EM IMGs' spots. Some candidates in other forums talking about a conspiracy from the committees to keep those sets for the CMGs. Any comment ????

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Romioo said:

I know one who is an IMG with a master degree in EM (4-year program after 6 years medical school) and 10 years experience in EM and ICU departments with good exams' score and Canadian clinical training and yet no invitation for EM IMGs' spots. Some candidates in other forums talking about a conspiracy from the committees to keep those sets for the CMGs. Any comment ????

Well can CMGs apply to this EM spot after second round if they don't pick an IMG ?

17 minutes ago, Romioo said:

There is a massive amount of political pressure to take CMGs for pretty much any spot they can reasonably do so across English Canada (can't comment on Quebec). Remember last year was the worst for unmatched grads on record, and elections are coming up federally.

I can't comment for specific IMG applications, but the general trend is to try and reduce the backlog of CMGs as we're kind of uniquely useless without access to a Canadian residency and only recently is writing the USMLE even a thought. 

IMG applications often give me a "its who you know" vibe. A lot of IMGs when I was in training effectively worked for the program they matched to for +6 months before matching

2 minutes ago, 2019CaRMS said:

There is a massive amount of political pressure to take CMGs for pretty much any spot they can reasonably do so across English Canada (can't comment on Quebec). Remember last year was the worst for unmatched grads on record, and elections are coming up federally.

I can't comment for specific IMG applications, but the general trend is to try and reduce the backlog of CMGs as we're kind of uniquely useless without access to a Canadian residency and only recently is writing the USMLE even a thought. 

IMG applications often give me a "its who you know" vibe. A lot of IMGs when I was in training effectively worked for the program they matched to for +6 months before matching

according to the last year statistics, almost 95 % of CMCs were accepted in residency compared to 15 % of the IMGs. It's clearly written in the CaRMs website that it's better to do elective in the program sites but not mandatory ????. In another word, IMGs need to fight harder to be in the residency 

22 hours ago, Romioo said:

• Anatomical Pathology: McMaster (March 15), Queen's (March 19)
  • Diagnostic Radiology: Sherbrooke (March 15), Saskatchewan (March 25)
  • Emergency Medicine:
  • Family Medicine: McGill - Gatineau (March 14), Dalhousie (March 15), Ottawa (March 15, March 16), Saskatoon (March 15, March 18),  Sherbrooke - Moncton (March 16), Queen's (March 18), McMaster (March 18), McGill- Val d'Or (March 18), Regina (March 18), Calgary (March 19), NOSM (March 19), Manitoba- Bilingual (March 19), MUN (March 15)
  • General Pathology: Saskatoon (March 15)
  • Hematological Pathology:
  • Internal Medicine: NOSM (March 17), Regina (March 18) 
  • Medical Genetics and Genomics:
  • Medical Microbiology:
  • Neurology:
  • Neurology-Pediatric:
  • Neuropathology:
  •  Nuclear Medicince: Western (March 19), Alberta (March 20)
  • Pediatrics: Ottawa (March 19)
  • Psychiatry: Sherbrooke - Moncton (March 15), NOSM (March 18), Regina (March 18), UBC ( March 18), Saskatoon ( March 18)
  • Public Health and Preventive Medicine: Saskatoon (March 18), Ottawa ( March 19)
  • Vascular Surgery:

Any news from MUN radiology? Haven't heard anything from the admin there.

2 hours ago, Romioo said:

according to the last year statistics, almost 95 % of CMCs were accepted in residency compared to 15 % of the IMGs. It's clearly written in the CaRMs website that it's better to do elective in the program sites but not mandatory ????. In another word, IMGs need to fight harder to be in the residency 

As it stands the English residency spots:English CMG graduates in Canada is around 0.98. Proportionately IMG spots have grown more than CMG spots in the last decade. It's going to be very difficult to deal with the cascading issue of unmatched anglophone CMGs without funding more spots or shuffling them from IMG to CMG/competitive spots. At the end of the day there aren't enough English language residencies in Canada for even CMGs, I think we can agree that this shortage is the issue.

I was unmatched last year as a CMG. It sucked. I hope things go well for you 

3 minutes ago, 2019CaRMS said:

As it stands the English residency spots:English CMG graduates in Canada is around 0.98. Proportionately IMG spots have grown more than CMG spots in the last decade. It's going to be very difficult to deal with the cascading issue of unmatched anglophone CMGs without funding more spots or shuffling them from IMG to CMG/competitive spots. At the end of the day there aren't enough English language residencies in Canada for even CMGs, I think we can agree that this shortage is the issue.

I was unmatched last year as a CMG. It sucked. I hope things go well for you 

Thanks and wish you the best, it 's my fourth year.

10 minutes ago, HopefulIMG said:

Anyone with previous experience with the second iteration? Are invites always sent out until the last moment or is it just that there are not many people following this thread hence the tally is not a true reflection / not complete ? 

I'd say it's most likely the 2nd. Unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, HopefulIMG said:

Anyone with previous experience with the second iteration? Are invites always sent out until the last moment or is it just that there are not many people following this thread hence the tally is not a true reflection / not complete ? 

From my limited experience, it sounds like they usually come out early and this thread isn't very active, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, HopefulIMG said:

This site is probably mostly CMGs and a small particularly paranoid subset of us. Invites can come out as soon as hitting submit (home school CMG family/internal last year) latest invite I heard was 1 week prior to the rank order deadline last year but most of them gave applicants 2-3 weeks prior to ROL deadline.

This site has a decent number of IMGs if you haven't checked it out

http://www.rxpgonline.com/mccee-mccqe.html

1 minute ago, 2019CaRMS said:

This site is probably mostly CMGs and a small particularly paranoid subset of us. Invites can come out as soon as hitting submit (home school CMG family/internal last year) latest invite I heard was 1 week prior to the rank order deadline last year but most of them gave applicants 2-3 weeks prior to ROL deadline.

This site has a decent number of IMGs if you haven't checked it out

http://www.rxpgonline.com/mccee-mccqe.html

Anything interesting out of their 50 posts regarding invites not posted here ?

• Anatomical Pathology: McMaster (March 15), Queen's (March 19), MUN ( not sure) 
  • Emergency Medicine:
  • Family Medicine: McGill - Gatineau (March 14), Dalhousie (March 15), Ottawa (March 15, March 16), Saskatoon (March 15, March 18),  Sherbrooke - Moncton (March 16), Queen's (March 18), McMaster (March 18), McGill- Val d'Or (March 18), Regina (March 18), Calgary (March 19), NOSM (March 19), Manitoba- Bilingual (March 19), MUN (March 15)
  • Medical Microbiology:
  • Neurology:
  • Neurology-Pediatric:
  • Neuropathology:
  •  Nuclear Medicince: Western (March 19), Alberta (March 20)
  • Psychiatry: Sherbrooke - Moncton (March 15), NOSM (March 18), Regina (March 18), UBC ( March 18), Saskatoon ( March 18)
  • Public Health and Preventive Medicine: Saskatoon (March 18), Ottawa ( March 19)
  • Vascular Surgery:

Heard through the grapevine- MUN AP sent invites 

29 minutes ago, HopefulIMG said:
  • Anatomical Pathology: McMaster (March 15), Queen's (March 19), MUN ( not sure) 
  • Emergency Medicine:
  • Medical Microbiology:
  • Neurology:
  • Neurology-Pediatric:
  • Neuropathology:
  • Vascular Surgery:

Heard through the grapevine- MUN AP sent invites 

Just today?

7 hours ago, 2019CaRMS said:

How would the IMGs work for the program for +6 months before matching? My understanding is that they will function as a CC3 or CC4 but still need direct supervision by a resident or staff physician? 

I think that the Canadian government should have done more to protect CMGs matching into residency. The general public has limited understanding of how our health care system works and always blames the government for not taking IMGs or accrediting IMG physicians trained abroad, and constantly sees our rigorous selection of IMG as preventing more doctors working and taking on new patients. How could they when they couldn't find jobs for new CMG grads, or they don't have enough funding for OR or endoscope suites? 

If the public understands that how much they invest into a CMG's medical school training, how rigorous our selection process is, and yet we still fail to match a lot of our CMGs, they will perhaps understand that the true problem is the distribution of work force and lack of health care funding.

TLDR: We definitely should advocate for CMGs matching into residency, without a residency spot, the M.D title is useless. Matching in subsequent rounds and next year seems to be more difficult. I am surprised that the provincial government has not added more CMG residency spots, when they know that it has become an important problem. 

1 hour ago, jl233426 said:

Has anyone had contact with anyone applying to Vascular surgery positions? 

I applied to both vasc program.

From my understanding , Manitoba only invited 1 person during first iteration . It was someone who did a rotation there and that person matched to another program.

I applied to Manitoba just in case they decided to interview more people during 2nd round.. so far haven’t heard back..

I applied to McMaster as well but haven’t heard back...yet *fingers crossed* . I believe they mentioned their interviews will be done over Skype on the 25th.

Haven’t heard anyone else getting interviews for these programs yet... so we’ll see what happens

Yes, that was my understanding as well. McMaster admin said she was swamped with emails/application inquiries so they are probably still wading through the CaRMS files, but did mention the plan was Skype. No invite here either at the moment.

No word from Manitoba. 

Best wishes, post if you hear anything!

• Anatomical Pathology: McMaster (March 15), Queen's (March 19), MUN ( March 21) , Dalhousie ( March 25)
  • Emergency Medicine:
  • Medical Microbiology:
  • Neurology:
  • Neurology-Pediatric:
  • Neuropathology:
  • Vascular Surgery:

Archived