Premed 101 Forums

How many hours do you study to score over 95th percentile on MCAT?

Highly individual and really depends on your strengths and weaknesses, how well you test, etc. I scored above 95th on one section related to my degree with only a week or two of studying, and 95th on CARS with no practice other than a few full length practice exams. But hours and hours over weeks and weeks of studying chem and physics barely got me above 65th in that section.

I did take a prep course, since I hadn't taken bio chem yet and had personal health issues affecting my second semester of o-chem and physics. Studying just through the prep course and on weekends for about 2 months, I got 98th percentile. However, I was near the 100th percentile in CARS and Psych and near the 80th-90th percentile in the science sections even though I majored in biology and took tons of chem courses. So things didn't turn out how I expected at all. 

Pre-CARS MCAT in 2010. Did it during the summer between 3rd and 4th year undergrad. Engineering background. Took entry bio course spring semester with another option, June/July studied full time. Wrote end of July, felt it went so-so, so paid late registration fee and wrote second time two weeks later without receiving first score (I figured I would study once, write twice, and leave it at that.)

First writing got 14/11/11/Q (97th percentile), then 14/10/14/Q (99th) on the retake.

15 hours ago, ChemPetE said:

Pre-CARS MCAT in 2010. Did it during the summer between 3rd and 4th year undergrad. Engineering background. Took entry bio course spring semester with another option, June/July studied full time. Wrote end of July, felt it went so-so, so paid late registration fee and wrote second time two weeks later without receiving first score (I figured I would study once, write twice, and leave it at that.)

First writing got 14/11/11/Q (97th percentile), then 14/10/14/Q (99th) on the retake.

You crazy haha. Although tbh your first score was probably better since more programs care about the verbal. 

Archived