Premed 101 Forums

Tell us your Med School admission story ...

I don’t think this is a silly thread at all... I remember reading a similar one a few weeks before we got our results a couple years ago, too! :) 

I had taken the day off work and planned to sleep in until 10:00 so I wasn’t checking my email every 2 minutes. Of course, I wasn’t able to sleep well, and I kept waking up every half hour or so. I woke up at 7:00 and had no emails, so I went back to sleep and woke up again around 7:30. My emails had just come in, and I found out that I was accepted. I think I was pretty shocked and whispered “oh my gosh”, lol. My SO was still asleep and wasn’t answering the phone, so I went downstairs and told my parents. They were ecstatic and had me call my grandparents and aunt and uncle. Then I got through to my SO, and texted my friend. Everyone was thrilled :) It was a great day! 

I had taken the weekend off and went on a small trip with my mum (trying to avoid the situation with my third year application where I got the rejection email at work and almost cried in front of my thesis supervisor and then actually cried that night in front of the director and cast of a play while I was in the middle of rehearsal). 

I tried to hike and relax and not check my phone until the end of the day (but in reality was checking every time we had reception). I finally got the email while driving back to town from a hike and literally shrieked in the car. I think my dad was the first person I called after my mum and I calmed down a bit. My grandmother cried and gushed for about 3 minutes straight when I called to tell her afterwards.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:14 AM, Mansi@30 said:

I think this group is only for sharing skills and solving elaborate issues.   

Really? what elaborate issue was solved here?  This forum is for sharing experiences. Receiving med school admission is life-changing experience.

I was home visiting my family, just checking my email on the computer that was located in the basement of my their home.

I saw CONGRATULATIONS in the subject line in my email inbox and literally screamed.

The funniest thing was that the only person inside the house was my brother, who has autism and who is limitedly verbal. He was on the main floor watching TV. He is a man of few words, and his response, in his usual affectated speech, was "be quiet!." 

I explained to him that this time I don't have to be! Then I ran outside where my mum was working in the garden and chatting with the neighbour and exclaimed "I got in!!!" She dropped what she was doing, quickly explained what I meant to the neighbour, and then we went inside to share via telephone with my father, aunts, and other brother.

Recalling this story even today, the most bittersweet part was when I called my then boyfriend to share the news. I was met with dead silence on the other end of the line. I was accepted to med school in a different city from where he lived. And that was the beginning of the end of our relationship.

All that said, I was happily single through med school and had things not gone this way I would not have met my husband in early residency. Truly, things happen for a reason.

Fifth application and finally, fifth time lucky...

I was at work getting absolutely nothing done because I was obsessively refreshing my email. I was also watching the admissions results start to roll out on PM101. 

Around 9:30 (I was on the east coast at the time) I saw that email subject line “Offer of Admission, McMaster MD Program - Hamilton Campus.”

I whooped and shouted “I got into medical school!” as I ran over to my coworker’s desk. I was so excited I forgot I’d just sprained my ankle earlier that day and it gave out as I got to her cubicle and I slammed into the wall. Didn’t even care, I was so happy. My coworkers were congratulating me and my boss was so proud of me she couldn’t stop grinning. 

I called my husband at his work and told him. My hands were shaking I was so happy as I told him. He was just beside himself with excitement; he told his coworkers and they were thrilled for us. I posted on PM101 and my blog and Facebook and it was just amazing.

Quite honestly right up there with my wedding and the births of my kids as one of the happiest days of my life. 

Archived