Premed 101 Forums

Longitudinal Family Medicine Experience

Before they assign you to a place they ask for language proficiency and ability to commute, but of course not everyone will get ideal matches. It's more than likely that you'll encounter patients of both languages even if you're at a hospital that serves a predominant English/French population. 

That said, it's not crucial to know French for the purpose of this course component, but it does mean you'll get less out of the patient interactions or their conversations with your preceptor. It's helpful to know basic French just to make the patient comfortable with small talk, and it's also an opportunity to practice your clinical French. But you have no responsibilities in LFME; you're there to learn.  

Hi everyone, 

I too have a few questions concerned LFME, given that I will be started McGill Med in Fall 2019. I currently live quite north of Montreal (in the lower Laurentians), but I will be moving closer to the city center as of July. I currently do not drive, and I rely on the exo train to get myself to downtown Montreal (which is about 3h of commute in total, per day). However, once I move, my only concern is that McGill will assign me to a family medicine clinic that will be much closer to my current address than it will be to my newer address. Is there a way to notify them that I plan to move and will no longer be living at my old address as of this summer, given that it is quite the commute and public transportation is limited in my area? 

Thank you! 

57 minutes ago, brutabella said:

Hi everyone, 

I too have a few questions concerned LFME, given that I will be started McGill Med in Fall 2019. I currently live quite north of Montreal (in the lower Laurentians), but I will be moving closer to the city center as of July. I currently do not drive, and I rely on the exo train to get myself to downtown Montreal (which is about 3h of commute in total, per day). However, once I move, my only concern is that McGill will assign me to a family medicine clinic that will be much closer to my current address than it will be to my newer address. Is there a way to notify them that I plan to move and will no longer be living at my old address as of this summer, given that it is quite the commute and public transportation is limited in my area? 

Thank you! 

Don't worry about it, they send out a form before orientation that will ask you to fill in your address after starting med, and the borough you're in. So you can just give the address you'll be at. They won't just assume you want to be near what the address on your application/file currently is.

2 minutes ago, MedP111 said:

Don't worry about it, they send out a form before orientation that will ask you to fill in your address after starting med, and the borough you're in. So you can just give the address you'll be at. They won't just assume you want to be near what the address on your application/file currently is.

Thank you so much for letting me know! It's reassuring :)