Premed 101 Forums

too late to even consider derm?

I know that it is way too late in the game to be making these jumps but I have learned a lot about myself in clerkship and now realized that derm is most definitely my number 1 choice. I have 0 work done in derm. I have 5+ papers (none of which I am listed as the first author) and have decent research experience and CV but none related to derm.

If I take a year off to do a research fellowship in derm, or do a 5th year for electives + research, do I even remotely have a chance? or this is just way too late to be even having this conversation

I understand that my chances this year is practically zero, but wondering about chances after staying 1-2 years for research/electives in derm. I'm obv okay with matching anywhere in Canada and writing the USMLEs.

appreciate all your help and insight

1 hour ago, daleader said:

I know that it is way too late in the game to be making these jumps but I have learned a lot about myself in clerkship and now realized that derm is most definitely my number 1 choice. I have 0 work done in derm. I have 5+ papers (none of which I am listed as the first author) and have decent research experience and CV but none related to derm.

If I take a year off to do a research fellowship in derm, or do a 5th year for electives + research, do I even remotely have a chance? or this is just way too late to be even having this conversation

I understand that my chances this year is practically zero, but wondering about chances after staying 1-2 years for research/electives in derm. I'm obv okay with matching anywhere in Canada and writing the USMLEs.

appreciate all your help and insight

Did you do any electives in derm? If you speak french, you definitely have a chance in Quebec!

2 hours ago, FailureToThrive said:

Did you do any electives in derm? If you speak french, you definitely have a chance in Quebec!

Speaking french can't possibly be the only requirement for admission into dermatology in Quebec right... <_< 

@daleader I think it would be worthwhile writing the USMLEs. In the US, it is very common for applicants to do a 1-year research fellowship before gaining admission into the competitive residencies. A high USMLE score is the key to matching to the competitive specialties.

Thanks everyone!

I guess I'm not sure what to do now. Since we are in the middle of selecting electives (already applied for the first 4 weeks), should I asap go back and apply to derm electives for the first 4 weeks and apply to as many as possible moving forward hoping to secure a few of them? (not sure how competitive they are to get)? Or reach out to home program, email a few staff, speak to a few residents, etc first before anything. 

Does anyone know any post or pre-carms research fellowships for derm?

1 hour ago, daleader said:

Thanks everyone!

I guess I'm not sure what to do now. Since we are in the middle of selecting electives (already applied for the first 4 weeks), should I asap go back and apply to derm electives for the first 4 weeks and apply to as many as possible moving forward hoping to secure a few of them? (not sure how competitive they are to get)? Or reach out to home program, email a few staff, speak to a few residents, etc first before anything. 

What specialty were you going for before?

34 minutes ago, COMMANDO said:

Would you rather do your previous specialty or go unmatched? Which scenario is more awful for you? If going unmatched is worse, don’t make the switch. 

I'd rather go unmatched and do research + electives and apply to CaRMS next year (and back up). But if my chances are practically ZERO considering how late I am, then that's a different story.

7 minutes ago, FailureToThrive said:

What specialty were you going for before?

IM

3 hours ago, daleader said:

Thanks everyone!

I would start applying for electives. Its actually okay to double book, just cancel before the deadline. I would talk to your home program at the same time. Sure you might lose some money but there is clearly a lot more at stake here and you don't want to lose out on derm electives because you applied too late. 

Apply to as many derm electives as you can as well as adjacent specialities. If you can' find derm electives try and get a dermpath elective, plastics, rheumatology, and ID/IM. Doing a dermpath elective you might be able to snag a case study and some of the others I've mentioned could help you be a well-rounded trainee to apply to something like Internal or Family Medicine. 

On 4/9/2019 at 3:08 AM, tavenan said:

Ah yes, another person who suddenly finds they are deeply $$$$$$$passionate$$$$$$$ about Derm or plastics. So genuine, so fantastic.

I know people with stellar applications who focused on matching into derm from the moment they went into medicine. They still were not successful, some went unmatched entirely. One matched because he had a personal connection.

matching into ultra $$$$$passion inducing$$$$$ residencies like derm or plastics is not so much about your resume as it is about your connections. So if you know someone, go for it. If not, have a solid backup ready and/or prepare to go unmatched. 

Ah yes, another person who suddenly finds they are deeply $$$$$$$passionate$$$$$$$ about Derm or plastics. So genuine, so fantastic.

I know people with stellar applications who focused on matching into derm from the moment they went into medicine. They still were not successful, some went unmatched entirely. One matched because he had a personal connection.

matching into ultra $$$$$passion inducing$$$$$ residencies like derm or plastics is not so much about your resume as it is about your connections. So if you know someone, go for it. If not, have a solid backup ready and/or prepare to go unmatched. 

Honestly, these kinds of passive aggressive posts just reeks of jealousy..

What happened to those who didn't match?