Premed 101 Forums

UofA OT Waitlist 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I just called the U of A OT admissions office. They gave me the following information:

They have not gone down the waitlist at all yet but so far will only be going down 3 spots. 

They also told me that although I’m in the top half of the waitlist that I am in the second quarter so 25-50 range. 

Good luck to everyone continuing to wait and don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything yet. 

My friend currently in the program just told me she was waitlisted in the top quarter and received her acceptance mid June and that she’s pretty sure everyone in the second quarter of the waitlist got in for her year (she’s second year) but they found out in July.

5 hours ago, OThopefully said:

Hey everyone,

I just called the U of A OT admissions office. They gave me the following information:

They have not gone down the waitlist at all yet but so far will only be going down 3 spots. 

They also told me that although I’m in the top half of the waitlist that I am in the second quarter so 25-50 range. 

Good luck to everyone continuing to wait and don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything yet. 

Thank you for this information! I hadn't thought about asking about the position of the waitlist. Additionally, does anyone know how this waitlist got formulated? Is it mostly based on GPA? 

4 hours ago, HiPlausibleOTer said:

Thank you for this information! I hadn't thought about asking about the position of the waitlist. Additionally, does anyone know how this waitlist got formulated? Is it mostly based on GPA? 

I think everyone’s applications are reviewed holistically and then ranked accordingly. I’m sure GPA is a significant portion of it but I applied with a sub-gpa of ~3.6 and people with higher GPAs were ranked in the lower half of the waitlist or not waitlisted at all. Who knows how admissions committees and their mysterious ways work though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 3:28 PM, PurrpAl said:

Just got off the waitlist yesterday and will be accepting the offer! Good luck to the rest of you guys on it and hoping you all the best!

Oh my gosh congrats!! Did they tell you anything about movement or your spot? Also can you share or pm your stats? Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, OThopefully said:

Oh my gosh congrats!! Did they tell you anything about movement or your spot? Also can you share or pm your stats? Thanks in advance!

Hey! 

Unfortunately they didn't tell me about my exact spot on the waitlist. I just knew I was in the upper half. All I got was an email saying "U of A OT Admission Decision TIME SENSITIVE". So hopefully you get an email like that soon and you can expect good news when you open it!

Sent you a PM of my stats!

Hey everyone, 

I just called the U of A admissions office again this morning and they told me they’ve moved down about 15 spots so far and she didn’t say the class is full yet so fingers crossed we keep seeing movement.

She also told me approximately how many people were still ahead of me so I would call for any of those who are nervous about their position on the wait list!

I also think it’s a good sign they’re contacting people so early, seems like the department is ahead of the game in general this year with admissions offers coming out mid April as opposed to start of May! 

@OThopefully thanks for sharing this info! Do you know if she means when they went down 15 spots that all of those 15 accepted their offer or that's just how far down they've gone in terms of offering to people (if that makes sense).  I'm guessing things will start to move more after the end of the month when the Ontario deadline passes.  Do you mind sharing how many people were ahead of you? 

2 hours ago, OTapplicant19 said:

@OThopefully thanks for sharing this info! Do you know if she means when they went down 15 spots that all of those 15 accepted their offer or that's just how far down they've gone in terms of offering to people (if that makes sense).  I'm guessing things will start to move more after the end of the month when the Ontario deadline passes.  Do you mind sharing how many people were ahead of you? 

I was wondering that as well but didn’t think it ask it during the phone call (I’m usually pretty nervous about asking for more info for fear that I’ll come off as pushy). 

Ya I was going to try and hold out until the orpas deadline passed but then saw an above poster got in and got too antsy to wait haha 

The previous poster who got in off of the waitlist did tell me they had until June 6 to put down their deposit and that’s when other first round applicants have until as well I believe so I think that’s also when more movement will occur. 

I can PM you that info! 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Justkeeptrying said:

Has anyone heard anything further for movement? Last I heard they were 15-20 through the waitlist. 

When did you hear this? I was going to call again today but if you called recently I might wait a few more days. Unless you heard it via my last post then nvm lol 

9 minutes ago, Justkeeptrying said:

I emailed them June 3rd so I’m guessing from your post and the email it might be closer to the 20 side of things

I think today is a good to follow up because June 7 was (i think) the date to finalize your choice for Ontario schools? 

1 hour ago, lddl said:

I think today is a good to follow up because June 7 was (i think) the date to finalize your choice for Ontario schools? 

Admissions head isn’t in office today so I’ll probably call tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys updated. I believe June 6 was also the deadline for people who’ve received offers so far to put their admissions deposit down so hopefully more movement due to that as well. 

All she told me was that there has been a bit of movement since I last called and that I’m now in the top quarter ( I had started in the second quarter of the waitlist) so I’m assuming that means they’ve moved somewhere between 20-25 spots down the wait list. 

I asked her if they were expecting another wave of movement and she told me that it’s super different every year and they can’t predict how much movement or even when it occurs and that last year they accepted just over half but the year before not so much :/  but to keep in mind that they accept students until the end of August. 

7 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

All she told me was that there has been a bit of movement since I last called and that I’m now in the top quarter (previously I had been in the second quarter of the waitlist) so I’m assuming that means they’ve moved somewhere between 20-25 spots down the wait list. 

I asked her if they were expecting another wave of movement and she told me that it’s super different every year and they can’t predict how much movement or even when it occurs and that last year they accepted just over half but the year before not so much :/  but to keep in mind that they accept students until the end of August. 

Thanks for following up. I think I'm also in that quarter based on my conversation with admissions head. Hopefully we both get it (:

14 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

All she told me was that there has been a bit of movement since I last called and that I’m now in the top quarter ( I had started in the second quarter of the waitlist) so I’m assuming that means they’ve moved somewhere between 20-25 spots down the wait list. 

I realize now that she didn’t tell me much more info because when they had gone down 15 spots she told me there were still 20-25 people ahead of me meaning I already knew I was in top quarter (probably started off somewhere around 35-40). So I guess a more conservative assumption would be it’s moved 20 people  since she said it had moved “a bit” since my last call when it had been 15 people. 

Sorry I didn’t push for more info, if anyone else contacts them through email or phone for how many spots they’ve gone down exactly please post here!