Premed 101 Forums

number of offers

Hi,

the admissions video said that 307 offers were made when 608 people interviewed in 2017. Is that 307 for the initial round of offers or after the waitlist? I’ve heard they send 307 initially but what if everyone accepted their offer- wouldn’t that be a problem for the school if there’s only 259 spots?

8 minutes ago, Comprehensible said:

I declined U of T to go to another school :). We all have our own priorities. 

So did I ha

Still if for no other reason that proportionally so many more people are from the TO area compared to the rest is makes sense for that reason alone that people would be more likely not to turn down TO compared to other schools. 

1 hour ago, COMMANDO said:

Who in their right mind would decline U of T lol - ppl decline other schools to go to UofT!

5 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

So did I ha

Still if for no other reason that proportionally so many more people are from the TO area compared to the rest is makes sense for that reason alone that people would be more likely not to turn down TO compared to other schools. 

Also declined U of T (for McMaster). 
I also ranked them last for residency! Toronto isn't the end all be all.

56 minutes ago, COMMANDO said:

Wrong path mate

1 hour ago, metacarpal said:

I might be wrong, but if I recall the data correctly, fewer people will decline UofT compared to other schools. 
Having said that, I personally know someone who declined UofT in order to go to Mac. Let's just say that a lot of eyebrows were raised lol  

I'm definitely glad I chose Mac. It's a great school. I'd take 3 years over 4 years any day.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, COMMANDO said:

Who in their right mind would decline U of T lol - ppl decline other schools to go to UofT!

Ha well I did

No school is perfect at all things - for me Western had the superior imaging research lab, a better clinical program at the time and was large enough to have everything but not so big that 10 other people were trying to do my stuff. You never have any idea about what happens when you compare other options in hind sight but for what I wanted it to do the plan worked well I think and it was the correct choice. When evaluating these things you have to ignore the overall reputation of the school as a whole and focus on just the medical school. That doesn't seem easy to do for many ha :)

This can quickly devolve into a this is my favourite school because of XYZ and of course people are generally loyal to their schools ha - that being said the idea that particularly in Ontario with our publicly funded schools are widely different seems illogical. I can say that med school you go to has surprisingly for many little impact on residency positions, leading ultimately to fellowships and jobs. often repeated and I find completely true - no one cares in the end where your medical training took place. No one has asked me that in years ha, and I have no idea where most of my class/people I work with went. 

Archived