Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

University of Melbourne – Doctor of Dental Surgery: No minimum GPA or DAT requirements Strict prerequisites in human anatomy, physiology and biochemistry to be eligible to apply DAT

it was very similar to the PAT. If you did alright on that section, you should be fine

I just used the same resources that I used for the PAT section of the DAT. Other than that, i think you'd have a hard time finding representative material because of all of the confidentiality stuff t

On 10/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, pre-dent said:

I just graduated this year! Have you? I don’t think it matters too much for admission. 

I just finished my degree in June! I also don't think it matters but I think they might put more weight on your final year tbh! Goodluck everyone hopefully we hear back this week I get nervous every time I get a new email LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I am really interested in applying to Australian schools and I was wondering do I have a chance at Sydney, Melbourne, or UWA. Any tips on improving my application?

CDAT: 20AA (23 Chem, 20 Bio, 17RC) 21 PAT Retake?

GPA: Worst year dropped = 86.7% all years= 84.2% --> We don't have GPA at UBC and I can't find an accurate way to convert the grades.

Degree: Biology degree completed from UBC

EC: I thought my pre-reqs were pretty good, including things like plumbing work, shadowing dentists (120 hours), volunteering for almost 1500+ hours, multiple executive club positions at school, soccer outside of school, working at nike, admin work at UBC and at a soccer club outside of school, and cultural dance. I also thought my reference letters were pretty solid as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DMDHope2020 said:

Hi everyone, I am really interested in applying to Australian schools and I was wondering do I have a chance at Sydney, Melbourne, or UWA. Any tips on improving my application?

CDAT: 20AA (23 Chem, 20 Bio, 17RC) 21 PAT Retake?

GPA: Worst year dropped = 86.7% all years= 84.2% --> We don't have GPA at UBC and I can't find an accurate way to convert the grades.

Degree: Biology degree completed from UBC

EC: I thought my pre-reqs were pretty good, including things like plumbing work, shadowing dentists (120 hours), volunteering for almost 1500+ hours, multiple executive club positions at school, soccer outside of school, working at nike, admin work at UBC and at a soccer club outside of school, and cultural dance. I also thought my reference letters were pretty solid as well.

Hey so I applied last year and got into both UWA and Melbourne first round. Sydney ironically was my best option but they deferred most admissions last year but I’m positive I would have gotten in. ECs aren’t looked at all. And I’m not sure for all but gpa isn’t looked at competitively. I think if you had the minimum that was all that was important. They rank you almost entirely on dat/mcat scores. They’ll bring back interviews so all you can do is improve dat scores or practice for interviews. If it makes you feel better everyone I know that applied got in to a program. I didn’t accept my offers but they aren’t too difficult to get into. Also uwa had a Casper but I don’t know how important that is if I got in. Haha not great at those! Hope that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, hopefulpremed98 said:

Hey so I applied last year and got into both UWA and Melbourne first round. Sydney ironically was my best option but they deferred most admissions last year but I’m positive I would have gotten in. ECs aren’t looked at all. And I’m not sure for all but gpa isn’t looked at competitively. I think if you had the minimum that was all that was important. They rank you almost entirely on dat/mcat scores. They’ll bring back interviews so all you can do is improve dat scores or practice for interviews. If it makes you feel better everyone I know that applied got in to a program. I didn’t accept my offers but they aren’t too difficult to get into. Also uwa had a Casper but I don’t know how important that is if I got in. Haha not great at those! Hope that helps.

Thank you, I guess I should improve my DAT score. Do you mind sharing your DAT score just for reference?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys. I am applying to griffith for the 2022 cycle. My gpa is a 3.24 and I can get it up to a 3.3+ by the end of the spring semester. Would I have any chance at all? Also for the ones who got accepted do you know how retakes are calculated in the cumulative gpa? Because I did not do so hot last year because of covid and online school I am wondering if they will ignore that year or semester? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, hopefulpremed98 said:

Hey so I applied last year and got into both UWA and Melbourne first round. Sydney ironically was my best option but they deferred most admissions last year but I’m positive I would have gotten in. ECs aren’t looked at all. And I’m not sure for all but gpa isn’t looked at competitively. I think if you had the minimum that was all that was important. They rank you almost entirely on dat/mcat scores. They’ll bring back interviews so all you can do is improve dat scores or practice for interviews. If it makes you feel better everyone I know that applied got in to a program. I didn’t accept my offers but they aren’t too difficult to get into. Also uwa had a Casper but I don’t know how important that is if I got in. Haha not great at those! Hope that helps.

Hey!

Can I ask what ur DAT stats were?

I have AA:22 (22 BIO 23 CHEM 21 RC) PAT:19

I'm at UBC so we don't do GPA but my average comes to around 80%. However, my 3rd year is somewhere around 88%, 4th year at 94% and 5th year at 97% so theres quite an upward trend. 

You think I got a good shot for Sydney's DMD program?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, acceptmepls said:

Hey!

Can I ask what ur DAT stats were?

I have AA:22 (22 BIO 23 CHEM 21 RC) PAT:19

I'm at UBC so we don't do GPA but my average comes to around 80%. However, my 3rd year is somewhere around 88%, 4th year at 94% and 5th year at 97% so theres quite an upward trend. 

You think I got a good shot for Sydney's DMD program?

I don't remember how it was exactly but they only looked at the academic average I believe, they didn't look at inidvidual scores. A 22 should be great, you have a great shot. I wouldn't stress you'll get an interview with that score. Upward trend doesn't matter, I asked oztekk directly about gpa and they made is clear that gpa was only looked at to see if you had higher than a 3/4.0 gpa.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 10:56 PM, nivi said:

Hey guys. I am applying to griffith for the 2022 cycle. My gpa is a 3.24 and I can get it up to a 3.3+ by the end of the spring semester. Would I have any chance at all? Also for the ones who got accepted do you know how retakes are calculated in the cumulative gpa? Because I did not do so hot last year because of covid and online school I am wondering if they will ignore that year or semester? 

It’s a hit or miss with that GPA. In order to be competitive you need at least a 3.50 cGPA. I asked Alexa (associate that works in dentistry department with oztrekk) and she said for the last few years a 3.50 gpa was competitive. You have to understand that Griffith doesn’t require a degree or DAT so applicants with at least one full course load can apply. This means you can take a bunch of electives or “GPA boosters” have a solid GPA and successfully get a spot. Obviously this would be extremely tough for that applicant as the program is no joke and requires a strong science background in order to not crumble in the overwhelming science based courses (especially in first year). Nonetheless, you can apply but I wouldn’t guarantee myself a spot, you should have a back up option or try to bring your GPA to the 3.50 range. Good luck :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, hopefulpremed98 said:

I don't remember how it was exactly but they only looked at the academic average I believe, they didn't look at inidvidual scores. A 22 should be great, you have a great shot. I wouldn't stress you'll get an interview with that score. Upward trend doesn't matter, I asked oztekk directly about gpa and they made is clear that gpa was only looked at to see if you had higher than a 3/4.0 gpa.   

Do you know anyone who has gotten in to Sydney or UWA with a 19 AA and 21PAT? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, lividtea said:

What’s the deadline for application? Now that our February DAT has been postpone, I’m worried marks won’t be sent in time of the deadline.  

I actually asked Alexa about this once they released the dates. She said that the it is likely that the schools will be accommodating and allow for the marks to be sent in once they are released so we should be okay! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...