Premed 101 Forums

2019 Entry- UWO Class of 2023 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist

2 hours ago, HopefulDDS said:

@Jep Zer @hellothere123 They did LWL at least. I got the "In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission." In response to my email

This was sent to everyone I think:

"It was, however, recommended that your name be placed on a ranked waiting list. Should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we have offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list"

@HopefulDDS Did you have the LWL wording in your student center letter, or did they tell you after you emailed them?

44 minutes ago, hellothere123 said:

They specified after emailing. But yet to see someone who got the HWL wording in the email response they received.

I see... In that case, I may also email them for more information. I got normal WL wording in student center: "On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I regret to inform you that you were not selected to fill one of the available seats in the class. It was, however, recommended that your name be placed on a ranked waiting list. Should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we have offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list."

If you don't mind me asking, did you get normal WL wording in student center but then LWL wording in their email response?

9 minutes ago, doodobro said:

I see... In that case, I may also email them for more information. I got normal WL wording in student center: "On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I regret to inform you that you were not selected to fill one of the available seats in the class. It was, however, recommended that your name be placed on a ranked waiting list. Should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we have offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list."

If you don't mind me asking, did you get normal WL wording in student center but then LWL wording in their email response?

On student centre: "On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I regret to inform you that you were not selected to fill one of the available seats in the class. It was, however, recommended that your name be placed on a ranked waiting list. Should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we have offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list."

Through email: "We do not give out information regarding applicants ranking on the Wait List nor how many people are on the Wait List.  Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List.  Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List."

I got normal WL wording in their email response. A few individuals in the forum got LWL wording in their email response. However, it seems everyone has the same content in the letter on student centre. Definitely email them to see.

1 hour ago, DDSapplicant123 said:

Really? I actually picked UWO over UofT, I thought the Dentistry faculty building at UofT was atrocious without any windows, although everyone there was very nice. I couldn't imagine spending the next four years in that building. 

Haha that's fair but I'd rather the building be old than live in a city with nothing to do outside of school... and this is coming from someone who grew up in London and did their undergrad at Western :P

Waitlisted!

Student center letter: "On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I regret to inform you that you were not selected to fill one of the available seats in the class. It was, however, recommended that your name be placed on a ranked waiting list. Should any of the selected candidates decline the seat we have offered them, replacements will be selected from applicants on the waiting list."

Admissions e-mail: "Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List." (This is what I received when I inquired for waitlist ranking)

Rejected...but literally just got off the wait list at UofT Dent so it's all good 

GPA: 89.5%

AA/PAT/RC: 22/17/23

ECs: Research/conferences, shadowing, community service roles, tutoring, work, etc.

Interview: Felt good walking out but my panel was fairly neutral the whole time, which made me overanalyze things in the days to follow 

IP

What is the average we need to maintain in our application year? I'm a continuing student so took a couple extra courses post graduation - I remember last year when I was waitlisted they only asked for a degree conferred transcript. Also are those grades considered for the scholarships or is it just the best 2 years again? 

11 hours ago, Dentboyyyy said:

I mean, I grew up in London, and I love it here. But my decision is purely academic, with regards to future success. 

If you really love London and your family is there then consider staying in London (and if you live at home you'll save a ton of money). In terms of future success you're going to be equally competent whether you go to UofT or UWO. In terms of first year though I can say we get a lot more hands on "experience" at UofT. Like you get to start assisting the 4th years starting first semester, and we have a course called CCP where you practice stuff like exploring and periodontal probing on your lab partner starting first semester. In fact my friends at Western are always commenting about how they wish they got to do that instead of having to retake courses like basic biology. We also start seeing patients first semester of second year doing cleanings and scaling, pretty sure at Western you dont step in clinic until 3rd year (don't quote me on that). Then again in upper years I hear Western students get more clinical exposure since a lot of the complex cases get referred out to the specialty departments here at UofT. The exam schedules are also different. At UofT its like undergrad where you have midterms and finals. At western you have like 12 exams back to back in december and then some more later on. If you're into research UofT is very well known for their research department and theres always a lot of conferences and networking events held here in Toronto. Also, this doesn't really matter that much but in terms of international recognition (i.e. the states) UofT is way more well known than Western but if you plan on staying in London your whole life that won't matter. 

p.s. I grew up in London too and I thought I loved it until I moved to Toronto haha. Best of luck with your decision!

1 hour ago, toothurty said:

If you really love London and your family is there then consider staying in London (and if you live at home you'll save a ton of money). In terms of future success you're going to be equally competent whether you go to UofT or UWO. In terms of first year though I can say we get a lot more hands on "experience" at UofT. Like you get to start assisting the 4th years starting first semester, and we have a course called CCP where you practice stuff like exploring and periodontal probing on your lab partner starting first semester. In fact my friends at Western are always commenting about how they wish they got to do that instead of having to retake courses like basic biology. We also start seeing patients first semester of second year doing cleanings and scaling, pretty sure at Western you dont step in clinic until 3rd year (don't quote me on that). Then again in upper years I hear Western students get more clinical exposure since a lot of the complex cases get referred out to the specialty departments here at UofT. The exam schedules are also different. At UofT its like undergrad where you have midterms and finals. At western you have like 12 exams back to back in december and then some more later on. If you're into research UofT is very well known for their research department and theres always a lot of conferences and networking events held here in Toronto. Also, this doesn't really matter that much but in terms of international recognition (i.e. the states) UofT is way more well known than Western but if you plan on staying in London your whole life that won't matter. 

p.s. I grew up in London too and I thought I loved it until I moved to Toronto haha. Best of luck with your decision!

Quite a bit of misinformation here.

25 minutes ago, Loulouloux3 said:

Judging from the previous threads in the past 2 years, it seems like even HWL wasn't fully cleared :(. Although it differs every year, I think 3-4 years ago someone said 30 people got off the waitlist, so you never know!!

Ah rip :/ I'm hoping they recalculated how many HWL they gave out to be more conservative based on previous years. Good luck and please let us know if you hear back! 

Congrats on the acceptances!

I'm going into my 4th year and I'm looking for a male roommate for a university residence (Ausable Hall) that's 7 min walk from your classrooms (as close as it gets, also in high demand). After making new friends in the first year, you'll be able keep the unit at current cost when I graduate. I have a friendly cat.

Please PM me and I can give you more details. 

https://apartments.uwo.ca/layout_beaver.cfm

Yea they did send HWL out too, my email said "Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List.  In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

IP

Western GPA%: 87%

AA/PAT/RC was 21/19/21

EC's: Volunteered in several labs and hospitals, ~100 hours shadowing, lots of research experience and authorship, job experience and participated in several business programs

Interview: Felt really good, the interviewers were acknowledging my answers and they seemed impressed

Did any of the past year threads figure out how many people (approximate) would be in each wait list category?