Premed 101 Forums

8 hours ago, 1218HLW said:

Hi everyone,

So there is one thing that has been bothering me for so long and I don't know who to ask. I got one not so good grade in a biology course in the summer. My school does not do percentages so my grade turned out to be a B- (converted to 70% by UBC). I have improved a lot ever since and my adjusted GPA will be ~87-88 for this cycle. I was wondering if anyone know of someone who got one (or a few) bad grades but ended up getting in with a better overall average. I know UBC seems to do a holistic review but this is really bothering me. Thanks! 

Yeah that grade is going to have a huge negative impact on your file. I would start applying to Caribbean schools...maybe consider Poland. 

Ignore that last comment. 

I would suggest you stop focusing on the things you cannot change (i.e. bad grad from the past), and focus on what you can change. UBC scores your academic and non-academic each on a 50 point scale, for a total score out of 100. If you make their cut-off with your overall score - you get an interview. You cannot change you past grade (though your overall seems fine, and your worst year can be dropped if you have enough credits), but you can focus on your non-academic score. Take that energy you are wasting worrying and put it into elevating your application in other areas. 

18 hours ago, 1218HLW said:

Hi everyone,

So there is one thing that has been bothering me for so long and I don't know who to ask. I got one not so good grade in a biology course in the summer. My school does not do percentages so my grade turned out to be a B- (converted to 70% by UBC). I have improved a lot ever since and my adjusted GPA will be ~87-88 for this cycle. I was wondering if anyone know of someone who got one (or a few) bad grades but ended up getting in with a better overall average. I know UBC seems to do a holistic review but this is really bothering me. Thanks! 

If it makes you feel any better, I'm applying with 1 B and 7 B+s. I know plenty of individuals who got in with similar grades or lower GPAs. 

Like what @Opichi said, focus on what you CAN change.

18 hours ago, 1218HLW said:

Hi everyone,

If it makes you feel better I had 3 B- marks and still got an interview this past cycle. If you are in province then your average is perfectly fine.

:) 

Oh my gosh no it is not going to ruin your chances. Relax. I got an interview with an F (retook the class) and several Cs, C+'s etc. I may never actually be admitted, but the fact that I have gotten an interview given this horrific academic record shows that, as others have stated, not everything is about grades. As black box as it all is, the members of the admission's committee are still humans, and will undoubtedly see past one poor grade. Your GPA is totally fine, make sure you don't fixate on your grades at the expense of other life experiences/ECs.