Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Health Sci vs. Western Scholars' Electives Med Sci

Hey guys! 

I recently got into both mac health sci and western med sci with scholars electives. Obviously my end goal is med school and I know most people say mac is the safer bet but I just wanted to see if anyone had any more advice for choosing between the two programs. 

I like both the programs and I'm mostly considering western because I liked the campus, the atmosphere, and the guaranteed research opportunity. However mac health sci I've heard also has an amazing and supportive community. 

Idk I think I'm leaning towards mac, but ya lemme know your opinions!!

I would choose mcmaster. Research shouldn't be an issue, McMaster has a ton of good research going on, it is the most research intensive school in Canada and there are plenty of PIs looking for students. Unlike Toronto, where you will have to compete with a lot of other students, recent grads etc., McMaster students are the only game in town and as health scis, you get first dibs in clinical research. The PIs I worked with at Mac often had a health sci or two under their wing and they got published. 

In this case alone, I would not care too much about the campus. If you like western's campus because of a party atmosphere, I'd just warn you that you probably don't want to spend too much time partying in undergrad. The number of people who regret partying in undergrad is too damn high. You can't party like the business students party unfortunately, pre-med and med are fields that require more effort than business, which is part effort part networking, where one can argue knowing how to party may actually be a benefit to your career. Otherwise, McMaster itself probably isn't too dissimilar from Western. There's definitely more of a science bent, maybe more of a Toronto/Mississauga vibe, but if you are really gungho about medicine, you'll probably find more people who are similar to you at Mac than at Western anyways. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:23 AM, Edict said:

I would choose mcmaster. Research shouldn't be an issue, McMaster has a ton of good research going on, it is the most research intensive school in Canada and there are plenty of PIs looking for students. Unlike Toronto, where you will have to compete with a lot of other students, recent grads etc., McMaster students are the only game in town and as health scis, you get first dibs in clinical research. The PIs I worked with at Mac often had a health sci or two under their wing and they got published. 

In this case alone, I would not care too much about the campus. If you like western's campus because of a party atmosphere, I'd just warn you that you probably don't want to spend too much time partying in undergrad. The number of people who regret partying in undergrad is too damn high. You can't party like the business students party unfortunately, pre-med and med are fields that require more effort than business, which is part effort part networking, where one can argue knowing how to party may actually be a benefit to your career. Otherwise, McMaster itself probably isn't too dissimilar from Western. There's definitely more of a science bent, maybe more of a Toronto/Mississauga vibe, but if you are really gungho about medicine, you'll probably find more people who are similar to you at Mac than at Western anyways. 

Thanks for the advice! After visiting may@mac last weekend I accepted my mac offer :) the campus was also nice and the people were great! Thanks again