Premed 101 Forums

UWO Dentistry- June 30th deadline

Hey all,

I had a question for the June 30th transcript deadline for UWO Dentistry. I'm in my 2nd year of my Master's program, and am not sure I can finish by June 30th exactly. Is it possible to apply for an extension? How strict is Western with this June 30th deadline? Could I possibly send them a letter from my supervisor saying that I will finish by a certain date before August?

35 minutes ago, jenkins said:

Suppose you are done by mid August but all you have to do is present your research at the end of August. How do you think western will take that? Despite handing everything in,  it technically won’t be done by the end of August. 

Sorry, I meant I will submit everything in July and present by or before mid-August! 

41 minutes ago, Basc72 said:

It's literally not a problem if it will be done by mid August and you get the form from admissions.

1 hour ago, BROSCIENTIST said:

They have been pretty strict about it with other people in the past. Try to finish it on time.

Oh I see! I will definitely email admissions just to confirm, thank you guys so much :). Definitely going to try my best to finish ASAP though! 

14 hours ago, jenkins said:

I just called. Aug 15th is a hard deadline 

Did they say Aug 15 is the new deadline for thesis based masters? Because previously when I called (before admissions were out), they were pretty strict about the June 30 deadline for thesis defense.

1 hour ago, doodobro said:

Did they say Aug 15 is the new deadline for thesis based masters? Because previously when I called (before admissions were out), they were pretty strict about the June 30 deadline for thesis defense.

I’m doing a course based masters so I’m not sure if there’s a different deadline for a thesis one. When I called she said I have to be done done everything by aug 15th, this includes any presentation as well. 

Just thought I should update this in case it's useful for someone else.

So the deadline is a hard deadline for June 30th for a THESIS based Master's (different from course based, which I believe is August 15th). So I would either have to send in my transcript OR send in this form. The form requires signatures from my supervisor, and graduate department saying that I will have completed all my requirements for my thesis. So I believe I will have to talk to my department and see if they will be ok with me defending a few weeks later than the June 30th deadline (but will still complete before the school year). If the department is ok with that, then admissions will have no problem with it either.

2 hours ago, Loulouloux3 said:

So the deadline is a hard deadline for June 30th for a THESIS based Master's (different from course based, which I believe is August 15th). So I would either have to send in my transcript OR send in this form. The form requires signatures from my supervisor, and graduate department saying that I will have completed all my requirements for my thesis. So I believe I will have to talk to my department and see if they will be ok with me defending a few weeks later than the June 30th deadline (but will still complete before the school year). If the department is ok with that, then admissions will have no problem with it either.

Please update us on what happens next! 

22 hours ago, Loulouloux3 said:

Thanks for sharing the information! Basically it is okay to defend later than June 30, but you need your department and supervisor to sign the form and indicate they are okay with a later defense?