• Received offer and will be accepting
    • Received offer and will be declining
    • Waitlisted and plan to accept if offered admission
    • On multiple waitlists and plan to decline if offered admission
    • Waitlisted and removing self from waitlist
    • Regrets
    • Accepted off waitlist!

1 minute ago, IMislove said:

Why? The trend has been very similar across the last 4 years. Nothing drastic has happened to change that. Neuroticism  can serve you well to an extent, but don’t let it consume you. Be cool B)

Just a bad feeling is all. I tend not to have luck on my side...I know, I'm trying but it's really hard. I really wish Queen's did high/med/low waitlist. If its not likely I'm going to get in, I'd just wanna know now. 

4 minutes ago, hiyayosup said:

Just a bad feeling is all. I tend not to have luck on my side...I know, I'm trying but it's really hard. I really wish Queen's did high/med/low waitlist. If its not likely I'm going to get in, I'd just wanna know now. 

What are you going to do when you write the LMCC exam, when you wait for interviews for CARMS, when you wait to match, when you write your royal college exam, etc. Life works with mystery and ambiguity, and this is one such test. Trust yourself and your ability, and do what you need to do to relax: see friends and family, work, netflix, stay active, other hobbies etc. Gotta just move forward, and believe in yourself. You got this.

3 minutes ago, sykern said:

FTFY :P 

MVP 

2 minutes ago, IMislove said:

What are you going to do when you write the LMCC exam, when you wait for interviews for CARMS, when you wait to match, when you write your royal college exam, etc. Life works with mystery and ambiguity, and this is one such test. Trust yourself and your ability, and do what you need to do to relax: see friends and family, work, netflix, stay active, other hobbies etc. Gotta just move forward, and believe in yourself. You got this.

MVP 

Thank you. This is actually a weakness of mine -- low levels of self confidence. Have been working on it but still have a long way to go. 

Has anyone in the past gotten in off the waitlist and had a mediocre MMI but really good panel?

I think I did average-good on half the stations and mediocre-bad on the other half, but my panel went really really well. I know some people on the forums were saying MMI is weighted more, so not sure how much hope I should have

15 minutes ago, betterlattethannever said:

Has anyone in the past gotten in off the waitlist and had a mediocre MMI but really good panel?

I think I did average-good on 3-4 stations and mediocre-bad on 2, but my panel went really really well. I know some people on the forums were saying MMI is weighted more, so not sure how much hope I should have

Everyone 1st year med student I talked to at Queens said they felt terrible about their interview (either both or MMI/Panel). I don’t think the way you felt about it matters lol as much as we try to analyze what our position is on this WL I don’t think it’s possible IMO. So if you think you did bad/mediocre you prolly did better than you think (or worse who knows what they’re looking for ?!)

On 5/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, hiyayosup said:

Anyone have a bad feeling that this will be the year the waitlist doesn't move much?

On 5/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, IMislove said:

Why? The trend has been very similar across the last 4 years. Nothing drastic has happened to change that. Neuroticism  can serve you well to an extent, but don’t let it consume you. Be cool B)

There has been one major change this cycle. Western's aABS. In the past, it seems that many applicants who interview at Queen's also interview at Western, just cause of similar GPA requirements. Not sure if that is still the case. Going through accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads on here, it seems many people who've declined Queen's have done so for Western. If the applicant pool at Queen's vs. Western is drastically different, its possible fewer people will decline their Queen's offer as they may not have UWO as an alternative to consider, leading to less waitlist movement.

Thoughts?  

55 minutes ago, ChickenDinner said:

There has been one major change this cycle. Western's aABS. In the past, it seems that many applicants who interview at Queen's also interview at Western, just cause of similar GPA requirements. Not sure if that is still the case. Going through accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads on here, it seems many people who've declined Queen's have done so for Western. If the applicant pool at Queen's vs. Western is drastically different, its possible fewer people will decline their Queen's offer as they may not have UWO as an alternative to consider, leading to less waitlist movement.

Thoughts?  

As someone accepted to Western this cycle, I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I feel like the essays were just intended to verify the applicants they were choosing to interview and change a few of the ones they would with the ones they normally wouldn't. For example, based on my MCAT and GPA, i knew i would be guaranteed an interview at Western in previous years. This yr I just had to write some essays in order to get it. 

1 hour ago, hiyayosup said:

Is anyone following the Facebook group? Its at 90 members...I think last year, this time it had around 82...Anyone have any experience with how accurate it is?

Bruh lol. I totally understand how difficult and nerve wracking it is to be placed in this waitlist limbo, but I honestly don’t think following a FB group and comparing its members with previous years is going to 1) provide any genuine insight or 2) do anything positive for your own mental wellbeing. Literally anyone can join a FB group including students on the waitlist  + students who are still unsure about accepting + upper year med students already in the program.

No one can accurately determine how fast the waitlist will move or what your position on the waitlist is, so just sit back, keep busy, and keep your mind clear!  No use in ruminating and constantly following something you have absolutely no control over! 

5 hours ago, ssmed said:

Literally anyone can join a FB group including students on the waitlist  + students who are still unsure about accepting + upper year med students already in the program.

What you said stands, but I can confirm that the number in the group is a pretty accurate number of at least those who have been accepted and have chosen to join the group. There are only 2 current students in the group and we've been told that our join request won't be accepted. Not sure those on the waitlist would willingly join the group, it just seems kind of awkward to me but who knows.

18 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

What you said stands, but I can confirm that the number in the group is a pretty accurate number of at least those who have been accepted and have chosen to join the group. There are only 2 current students in the group and we've been told that our join request won't be accepted. Not sure those on the waitlist would willingly join the group, it just seems kind of awkward to me but who knows.

Oh...

In previous years, at this stage there were always a fair number of upper years in the FB group. Maybe @ChickenDinner was right and Western's addition of its aABS has diversified the pool between the two schools. I knew there was a chance the waitlist may not move as much this year :(

9 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Oh...

In previous years, at this stage there were always a fair number of upper years in the FB group. Maybe @ChickenDinner was right and Western's addition of its aABS has diversified the pool between the two schools. I knew there was a chance the waitlist may not move as much this year :(

I'm actually confused by what @ChickenDinner said. Since Queen's focuses heavily on extracurriculars and now Western is as well, in addition to the fact that Western's CARS cut-off went down to a 128 (pretty unheard of) and both have a 2-year GPA, wouldn't the applicant pool between the two be more similar? I would argue that Western's CARS cut-off, which was previously a really high barrier, now being lowered would make it more accessible for potential Queen's candidates in terms of getting interviews and ultimately being accepted at Western. There would be more potential movement from Queen's -> Western. 

Also for FB, accepted people can join but don't necessarily have to leave the group if they accept another offer right? So it wouldn't be an accurate representation of who is ending up at Queen's.

3 minutes ago, conbrio said:

I'm actually confused by what @ChickenDinner said. Since Queen's focuses heavily on extracurriculars and now Western is as well, in addition to the fact that Western's CARS cut-off went down to a 128 (pretty unheard of) and both have a 2-year GPA, wouldn't the applicant pool between the two be more similar? I would argue that Western's CARS cut-off, which was previously a really high barrier, now being lowered would make it more accessible for potential Queen's candidates in terms of getting interviews and ultimately being accepted at Western. There would be more movement from Queen's -> Western. 

Interesting. I interpreted ChickenDinner's post as stating that because ECs are subjective, what Queen's considers "strong" may not be what Western considers "strong." Due to the change in admission requirements at Western, there is more ambiguity in the process, more people are able to be considered and its likely that the pool between the two schools will be different? But that's what I got. I see your point though. 

The wait is definitely torture. After 9 long months, I want some closure, but I'm trying to be grateful and hopeful. Will try to keep myself away from the forum for a few days...key word being "try." 

3 hours ago, conbrio said:

Also for FB, accepted people can join but don't necessarily have to leave the group if they accept another offer right? So it wouldn't be an accurate representation of who is ending up at Queen's.

Correct. However last year, people left the group as they accepted offers from other schools. The accepted group transitions into the class group, and the remaining members are all students in our class (with the occasional upper year who was added to promote an opportunity). I think once the class list is finalized, the admin of the group kicks out everyone in the group who isn't joining the class.

1 hour ago, medhopeful20 said:

So based on what @xiphoid is saying, does this mean that the waitlist wont move at all because 93 people have joined the facebook group already with other students who may not be aware of the group.

No. Most people who got multiple offers are still in the process of choosing a school.