Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

8 minutes ago, DNM said:

Based on last year's thread, quite a few people got accepted on the 28th, which corresponded to roughly 1 week after initial deadline to accept. Could be a coincidence, nonetheless if there's another wave it'd probably be 1 week from now. 

Do you think there'll be another wave today or yesterday was it? 

10 hours ago, yohohoy said:

Ya. Straight up didn't believe it was real. (for a bit I even thought maybe a friend could be playing a cruel joke on me lol).

I still am a bit skeptical it's real, I won't believe it until I get the full acceptance

Wonder who that friend might have been. #pranked

Just now, Anderfishy said:

I love the optimism guys but the deadline was yesterday and Mac has thus far been sending out invitations seemingly instantly once people drop off. 

Why would Mac wait arbritrarily for noon or something today? The program has been overhauled and improved so I doubt we will see 76 people move off the waitlist like we did last year. Each year it decreases. It hurts but I’m just trying to be realistic.

:'(  </3 

sigh

6 minutes ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

Do you think there'll be another wave today or yesterday was it? 

Last year people got offers on both, the day of the initial deadline and the following day. Based on that i'd think there could be some movement today. Things could end up being different this year, but so far, the waitlist activity seems to have been more or less resembling what was going on last year.

Okay, I'm still working on the full analysis (which is posted as a second page to the first analysis), but so far it seems that last year, of the original self-declared waitlist, 70% of them received offers (12/17). So far, only 14% of this year's self-declared waitlist has been given offers (4/28). THAT is the reason that I think that we have only seen a small wave so far.

15 minutes ago, DNM said:

Last year people got offers on both, the day of the initial deadline and the following day. Based on that i'd think there could be some movement today. Things could end up being different this year, but so far, the waitlist activity seems to have been more or less resembling what was going on last year.

Exactly! I refuse to give up hope!... until like 4 pm today. Then its time to marathon sad netflix movies and depressing music 

2 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

Okay, I'm still working on the full analysis (which is posted as a second page to the first analysis), but so far it seems that last year, of the original self-declared waitlist, 70% of them received offers (12/17). So far, only 14% of this year's self-declared waitlist has been given offers (4/28). THAT is the reason that I think that we have only seen a small wave so far.

Your number crunching is the only thing keeping some of us together emotionally right now lol :P

2 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

Poster above mentioned something about curriculum overhaul/improvement would that affect movement?? 

Just now, cjalcyris said:

Poster above mentioned something about curriculum overhaul/improvement would that affect movement?? 

I doubt it, most people don't even know what the curriculum change is, and none of us actually know how it will play out in the long run. Also, I've come across a post listing the curriculum change as a bad thing, and a reason to not choose Mac.

2 minutes ago, cjalcyris said:

possibly... although you could also make the argument that a curriculum "overhaul" would dissuade prospective students from accepting their offer. Uncertainty about a new program means that it's possible that the new changes don't actually work out as intended and just make the program worse. (Conjecture)

26 minutes ago, Anderfishy said:

I love the optimism guys but the deadline was yesterday and Mac has thus far been sending out invitations seemingly instantly once people drop off. 

Why would Mac wait arbritrarily for noon or something today? The program has been overhauled and improved so I doubt we will see 76 people move off the waitlist like we did last year. Each year it decreases. It hurts but I’m just trying to be realistic.

Where did you come across the number 76 ? Did they post the stats for last year somewhere ?

1 minute ago, cjalcyris said:

Where did you come across the number 76 ? Did they post the stats for last year somewhere ?

Not sure where 76 came from, but last year they made 316 offers total (that's all we can really say, we have no idea how much they initially overaccept, whether some people withdraw from the waitlist for other schools, etc.)

9 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

Thanks for doing the work, not just for us but for future applicants too if they find this thread!

I’m probably not the only one who did, but I called Mac and they did say that they’ve kept updated at all time with enough offers out there to theoretically fill the class. From what she said as well I do think the so called bigger wave went out yesterday but that we will still see quite a bit of movement this week and in the weeks to come. Seems like a very continual process and there’s really no set date to expect anything but that our chances are still pretty good. They still have people who won’t accept their offer from the waitlist, and a few people who may have accepted out of province or wherever that didn’t really respond at all to their offers on OMSAS that they need to track down.

15 minutes ago, Snow8765 said:

I’m probably not the only one who did, but I called Mac and they did say that they’ve kept updated at all time with enough offers out there to theoretically fill the class. From what she said as well I do think the so called bigger wave went out yesterday but that we will still see quite a bit of movement this week and in the weeks to come. Seems like a very continual process and there’s really no set date to expect anything but that our chances are still pretty good. They still have people who won’t accept their offer from the waitlist, and a few people who may have accepted out of province or wherever that didn’t really respond at all to their offers on OMSAS that they need to track down.

:( Thanks for calling them and updating us!

23 minutes ago, Snow8765 said:

Welp, time to bring out the emergency feel-good chocolate and try to forget about it if there's no particular day to expect it.

4 minutes ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

4th year of undergrad (something I really, really, really, really don't want to do; I know it's supposed to be a safety net/back up, but the thought of staying here for another year makes me sick).

I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you hear positive news so that you can move on to a better situation :(