Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

18 minutes ago, Snow8765 said:

What're you all up to next year if med doesn't work out this cycle?

Id actually really appreciate some advice in this department if any of you have the time. I just finished my 5th year and my new stats will be: cGPA 3.70, 2 yr gpa 3.945, ottawa gpa, 3.898, MCAT 129,131,129,128 and ive built up some decent Ec’s with 1 pub and some conference presentations too... i really dont want to do a masters, would it help me at all? What else could I do. Any input would be great :)

If this comment doesnt fit this thread then feel free to remove it or just let me know

8 minutes ago, steelchopsticks said:

Id actually really appreciate some advice in this department if any of you have the time. I just finished my 5th year and my new stats will be: cGPA 3.70, 2 yr gpa 3.945, ottawa gpa, 3.898, MCAT 129,131,129,128 and ive built up some decent Ec’s with 1 pub and some conference presentations too... i really dont want to do a masters, would it help me at all? What else could I do. Any input would be great :)

If this comment doesnt fit this thread then feel free to remove it or just let me know

To be honest, a master's degree won't really help you with Canadian medical schools with the exception of a few percent increase in your interview chances for certain schools. But you were already able to snatch an interview(s) so just do whatever you did this cycle. I think it might just be best to work over the year and just build on your knowledge of the healthcare system. From what I've seen, EC's matter very little for most Ontario schools, so my plan is to just work and read up on healthcare policy and current events. 

Hope that gives some insight. 

*EDIT: I also just graduated this year so I get that job hunting might be scary and uncertain. But we can do it! 

7 minutes ago, steelchopsticks said:

I'm not against having discussion here, but too much off topic might make it more difficult for future students to look through the old forums for useful information. Also, your questions might yield helpful information for others, but they will never find it if it is buried inside a waitlist forum.

4 minutes ago, steelchopsticks said:

Work or travel for a year? You have solid stats, especially that CARS score and wGPA. 

As a student in a lab filled with Masters students who are doing it just for the sake of doing it as a plan B for med school, a lot of them seem miserable. Some of them genuinely like research and don't mind taking a break from the pre-med grind and focusing on something else for a bit, but the reluctant ones are living in perpetual anxiety/stress over the upcoming app cycle. Research is hard even if you're super interested in it, even more so when you're just doing it aimlessly. 

Based on stalking these forums, a Masters doesn't provide a huge advantage for med; it's only a worth a few percent bonuses pre-interview Mac (not sure that an entire program justifies that marginal boost) and you can't apply to U of T unless you're on schedule to finish before matriculation.

21 minutes ago, Pecan said:

I'm probably just going to be working and building up my resume to reapply next cycle. I've already graduated this year.

Me too Pecan, although I still have yet to explore exactly what kind of working and volunteering I want to do. 

6 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

I'm not against having discussion here, but too much off topic might make it more difficult for future students to look through the old forums for useful information. Also, your questions might yield helpful information for others, but they will never find it if it is buried inside a waitlist forum.

You are 100% correct. My bad. Thank you so much for the replies though, youre all the best. Well continue this somewhere else 

53 minutes ago, jonasbrothers said:

why does it feel like there's so much less waitlist movement this year?

It could just be that a similar amount of movement did happen/is happening but it's just not being reflected on premed. 

20 hours ago, yohohoy said:

Got in off the waitlist today (as in Tuesday, at 6:19pm EST). It's definitely been tough but I am relieved it's finally over. 

I know how tough it is guys. Stay patient. Even if things don't work out and you don't get in (I've been there before) continue to be productive; life is long and there is so much more to be thankful for. Some people dream of just getting to live in a place like Canada and we take that, and so many more things, for granted.

I hope I get to have such kind-hearted people as my colleagues one day :) 

If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me which sender email address they used? I want to set up a custom alert so my heart rate doesn't spike with every email notification :blink:

3 hours ago, CoffeeOtter said:

If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me which sender email address they used? I want to set up a custom alert so my heart rate doesn't spike with every email notification :blink:

It's the same email address that sent the email the day before our interview:  edgew@mcmaster.ca

Dude, every email killed me, especially because I've been subscribed to this forum so I'm consistently getting emails. The nice thing is that when I got the actual email I didn't freak out lol because I guess I conditioned myself to relax in response to email notifications haha. Also, I was in public so I had to act normal. 

Good luck :) 

9 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

4th year of undergrad (something I really, really, really, really don't want to do; I know it's supposed to be a safety net/back up, but the thought of staying here for another year makes me sick).

Why so against undergrad? I was rejected post interview last year after my 3rd year and while it wasn't the best feeling, I was happy that I got another year to spend time with friends (and make new ones) and grow as a person before med school; the toughest part was just the fact that I could never be certain that I'd get in the next year (but I'm glad that's over). 

Unless you're older then it's more understandable. But try to keep perspective on things. How many people didn't even get interviews, people that already did 4 years or have applied multiple cycles. Make the best use of your 4th year of undergrad while also trying to put yourself into a position where you get accepted next year. 

Of course, you could still get accepted this year too! :):)

Okay, this is a bit obsessive, but the WRC Facebook group has 36 members and the NRC one 50; does that mean there are more spots available at WRC at the moment than NRC, or the latter just has more upper years in the group? Also, the facebook group is at 421 members--the previous year is at 522, not sure if that means anything or if the extra 100 is just from upper years who join in later on in the year.