PhD from U of T

MCAT 31P

Applied:

U of T, U of C, Dalhousie, Queens, Western

Interviewed:

U of T, U of C, Dal

Accepted:

U of T, U of C, DAl

I think I'm gonna stay at U of T so it's likely another spot for a U of C waitlister. The 3 year program is attractive, but I need summers to travel and decompress.

I dont understand why people are choosing a 4yr program over a 3yr program. wouldn't you rather go out there and start practicing instead of dragging out your med education (its pretty expensive). it's not like the 3yr program is lower quality or anything or you would have trouble matching. even if the location is less desirable, it is only 3 yrs and you are going to be focused on your academics anyways, just travel to other places during the breaks. having those big breaks in the summer is not a good thing from a continuous and reinforced education standpoint. life is short!

Waitlisted

4+++ year IP

cGPA: 3.86

MCAT: 31S

3 years research, odd jobs, sports and non-health-related volunteering.

I'm also on the UofA waitlist.... very nervous (and frustrated!) about being moved on both simultaneously. A game of odds and flash decision-making...?

GPA: <3.5

MCAT: 35Q

ECs: varied between school and work stuff - I saw my pre-interview score and beleive I scored average on this section.

LOR - again, saw my score and think i scored average here which was surprising.

interview: thought it went ok- did so-so on the first station, messed up the second, but finished strong on the next 7. Glad I didn't let a tough start throw me off - there was no time to worry really. I was extremely worried about the essays - I forgot it was "Essay" format and did not write intros/outros for either essay - looks like I got by anyway.

I also know I musta caught some lucky breaks along the way so definitely appreciate this opportunity. To those who are waitlisted or got declined, if you got this far, you can do it again next year, and hopefully will catch the break or two you need (and get feedback of course). Gluck

I was also accepted at UA and have no clue where I will go. Plan to research a ton this upcoming week. Just wanna goto the school that sets me up best for choosing the right specialty (I know the education at either is stellar). Trying hard not to let the 3 or 4 year program influence me, the location, or the hotties at UA (sorry UC but you gotto flaunt it a bit more!)

Accepted 4th year IP

cGPA: 3.65

MCAT: 10/12/13/s 35S

ECs: standard volunteering, student groups, etc

Thought interview went excellent

Interviewed: UofA, UofC

Accepted: UofA, UofC

I will most likely be declining for UofA, so the waitlist should see some movement, good luck to everyone!

Applied - U of A, U of C, U of S, UBC, U of M

Interviewed - U of C, U of A, U of M

Accepted - U of C and U of A

Alberta IP, 4th year (BSc)

MCAT - 40N

cGPA - 3.89

ECs - lots of random volunteering at the hospital, libraries and school. Worked in a lab for the last year.

I'll be attending U of C!

GPA: <3.5

MCAT: 35Q

ECs: varied between school and work stuff - I saw my pre-interview score and beleive I scored average on this section.

LOR - again, saw my score and think i scored average here which was surprising.

interview: thought it went ok- did so-so on the first station, messed up the second, but finished strong on the next 7. Glad I didn't let a tough start throw me off - there was no time to worry really. I was extremely worried about the essays - I forgot it was "Essay" format and did not write intros/outros for either essay - looks like I got by anyway.

I also know I musta caught some lucky breaks along the way so definitely appreciate this opportunity. To those who are waitlisted or got declined, if you got this far, you can do it again next year, and hopefully will catch the break or two you need (and get feedback of course). Gluck

I was also accepted at UA and have no clue where I will go. Plan to research a ton this upcoming week. Just wanna goto the school that sets me up best for choosing the right specialty (I know the education at either is stellar). Trying hard not to let the 3 or 4 year program influence me, the location, or the hotties at UA (sorry UC but you gotto flaunt it a bit more!)

Well, all the freaking out and spamming the board about the class size cuts was for nothing :D

Hi all,

Have really appreciated this site, and wanted to post for all students that have a bit of an atypical background.

Here goes:

I'm an Alberta resident finishing my Masters in Global Health. My GPA was 3.5 in my undergrad, and 4.0 in my Masters.

My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

Extracurriculars: Diverse. 2 Varsity sports. Lots of hospital work. Several research jobs. Teaching experience. Publications. Lived/volunteered/interned/worked abroad in various capacities. International/national conference presentations. Awards. A spectrum for sure.

Interview: Overall I thought they went really well.

I applied to UBC, Toronto, Calgary and Alberta.

I was interviewed at Calgary and Alberta.

I was accepted to Calgary and Alberta.

This is my first time applying.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to all applicants, and look forward to being part of Calgary 2013!

Accepted, 4th year OOP!

I've been visiting this site for a while, and have endured lots of sleepless nights because of it, but have never really posted. Anyhow, I hope this helps a future applicant.

cGPA: 3.96 (I dropped this year, but just enough to make the 3.2 cut so I guess it doesn't matter!)

MCAT: 10/11/11 Q

ECs: just a couple of things I was committed to over the years, most of my volunteer work wasn't medically related.

interview: I started off VERY nervous but I got a hold on my nerves by the second station. I also missed the Olympic hockey final because of it! Guess it was worth it in the end :D

Good luck to everyone on the wait-list and I can't wait to meet everyone in the class of 2013 in August!

Were you accepted from the waitlist today? and congratz!!!

Nope, I was accepted on Friday but premed101 conveniently crashed, lol. We have until May 25th to send in our acknowledgment of acceptance form so I don't know how much the waitlist will really move before then. Good luck!

IP Applicant

Current master's student at UofC

Applied 2008 to UofC - interviewed, then wait-listed.

Applied in 2007 to ON schools - no interviews

MCAT: 31Q

GPA: don't know, my co-op undergrad messes up the calculation

grad school GPA: 4.0

Extra-curriculars: sports, volunteering (non-hospital), student clubs

Congrats to everyone!

Hi,

Thought I'd add my stats to this for completeness =)

Accepted

4th year (just graduated) OOP

cGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 11/14/13 S

EC: A bunch of random things I was involved with for a while - but not really medically related.

Applied to UBC, Calgary, Ottawa, Western, Queen's, Toronto, Mac, Dal

Interviewed at Calgary, Ottawa, Western, Queen's, Mac,

Accepted at Calgary, Western, Mac

Wait-listed at Queen's, Ottawa

I felt that the interviews went well, although one of my essays was pretty bad I thought (that means if you future applicants feel like your essay wasn't that great, don't worry!).

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance so good luck to those on the wait list =) Attending a school in the US.

I dont understand why people are choosing a 4yr program over a 3yr program. wouldn't you rather go out there and start practicing instead of dragging out your med education (its pretty expensive). it's not like the 3yr program is lower quality or anything or you would have trouble matching. even if the location is less desirable, it is only 3 yrs and you are going to be focused on your academics anyways, just travel to other places during the breaks. having those big breaks in the summer is not a good thing from a continuous and reinforced education standpoint. life is short!

It depends on what your career goals ultimately are - the 3 yr program is great if your intent is to focus primarily on being a clinician. For me, I'm interested in public health advocacy, health policy, possibly academic medicine, etc. (not sure which yet or some combination thereof), but those things benefit greatly from having a summer available for networking/time to focus on some research etc. Also, for some people it's just a matter of where you want to live - 3/4 years is not THAT short of a time that if you loved one place but were very indifferent to another that you wouldn't care.

Have had little net access over the past few weeks, but made sure I did on the 14th!

4th yr Bcomm student u of c, not yet graduated.

cgpa app time 3.67

yr 1 3.15 yr2 3.8 yr3 3.97 yr4 3.76

MCAT 13 10 11 Q

ECs summer research, international skiing, various school volunteering, hosp volunteering, coaching, many other sports

So stoked to be posting this, I didnt think i would even get interviews but ended up being accepted at both u of a and u of c, really struggling with the decision right now though.

To contribute to the stats:

I'm an Alberta resident. Just finished my BSc in Biochemistry.

GPA: 3.79

My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (12)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Written Sample: (S)

Extracurriculars: Lots of jobs, 3yrs volunteering at a sexual health clinic, many leadership positions, one summer medical research, one academic year psychology research assisant, awards

Interview: I get really nervous at the start of interviews, so the MMI really stressed me out. I guess it turned out okay though because i was accepted!

I applied to Ottawa, Mac, Queen's, Toronto, Calgary, Memorial, Western.

I was interviewed at Calgary, Memorial, Queen's, Western.

I was accepted everywhere I interviewed.

This is my first time applying.

It's a tough choice, but I'm going to decline my acceptance to go to Western. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

I did my undergrad in Forensic Science from UofT.

My GPA was 3.8 across the four years.

12-9-12 S MCAT

ECs: Not much. A couple of places where I volunteered. I did the hospital volunteering and disliked it, so I did something more fun. I do a lot of local/provincial level dancing. TAing. Research (Ugrad + working on my masters). Some really cool internship experiences thanks to my ugrad.

I was waitlisted last year and didn't get off it.

This year I was waitlisted at UC but then accepted when the first round declined.

I applied to UA and UC, interviewed at both.

UA accepted me on May 14th, and I will most likely be going there.

If there is anything I have learnt through this entire ordeal, that is persistence pays off!!

Just know in your heart that it will happen!

Accepted IP after 3 years of undergrad (BA) off the waitlist today

Academic Score: 40.01

Activities: 17

MCAT: 10

Reference Letters: 7

Pre-MMI: 74.01 / 29.6

MMI Verbal: 32.44

MMI Written: 6.7

Final Score: 68.74

I am looking forward to meeting all you brilliant people on July 28! Good luck to all those on the waitlist!