Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Accepted after what feels like forever, but it is soo worth it now - 4 years of HBSc at U of T, 1 year of research, 2 years of MSc, 1 year of working in clinical research.

IP

GPA: Last two years good (~3.8), first two years not so strong. Grad GPA 3.7

MCAT: 33Q

EC: Scored 18...have done just about everything EXCEPT volunteering in africa

My one and only canadian interview was U of C. Wasn't too confident about the interview itself, but I prepared a lot and I guess it helped! Can't wait to start and looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Accepted off the waitlist today!

Got my HBSc from U of Toronto. Worked for a year as a physician's assistant and am finishing my MSc at U of Toronto.

Undergrad GPA ~3.7

Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT

Bio: 13

Verbal: 11

Phys: 11

Writing: R

This is my second time applying for med school.

For everyone applying, keep your head up and don't stop applying!

Sorry for the late post, I have been traveling for 2 months now.

Here are the results:

Accepted: U of T, UBC, U of A, U of C.

Waitlisted: Queens.

Was REALLY hard to choose between UBC and U of T, but in the end I chose U of T because they gave me more information about their program and they have so many affiliated hospitals right on site.

Stats: I first author pub in high impact journal, 3.85 U of C GPA, 3.80 OMSAS GPA, 33R MCAT, 2 years working as an MOA in medical clinic, 2 summers research, lots of life experience.

Accepted yesterday off the waitlist, IP

let's see...stats:

BHSc, GPA 3.55 cumulative, 3.77 last year with honours thesis

LOTS of ECs: research (international and domestic), working, lots of volunteering, student government, exchanges

MCAT 29Q

so happy :)

Got off the waitlist this morning!!! I've always wanted write a post here, but almost thought it wouldn't happen this year. This is an amazing forum with amazing people. Virtual kisses to everyone coming to Calgary! :D

So here are the stats:

IP, first time applying to Calgary.

BSc-Hon + MSc from U of T.

GPA: 3.5, last 2 years: 3.7

MCAT: 10,8,10,Q

ECs: really diverse and extensive; research with pub (not first author though), professional dancer, international aid work, teaching assistant, lots and lots of student governments, hospital volunteering, the list goes on....

I suggest to those with GPA's like mine to work on your EC's without sacrificing your marks and do what you love (it shows!). I worked really hard on the EC write-up and got lots of advice from professionals. The interview was a mixed bag, I thought I did well and even cracked a few jokes (with caution!).

Well, it's been a long and hard road to this point. Now I know that the hurdles I faced in the past made me stronger, though I may not have realized it then. Best of luck to everyone, especially those on the waitlist! If medicine is what you want to do for the rest of your life, nothing can stop you! ;)

• 1 month later...

Woohoo, I finally get to write one of these!

IP

GPA: ~3.4 (oh yeahhh)

Finishing up an M.Sc.

MCAT: BS10, VR11, PS10 (writing O :o )

ECs: typical volunteering, tons of work and research experience, some publications

I thought the interview went well for the most part, except for the essay bit...

• 3 weeks later...
Woohoo, I finally get to write one of these!

IP

GPA: ~3.4 (oh yeahhh)

Finishing up an M.Sc.

MCAT: BS10, VR11, PS10 (writing O :o )

ECs: typical volunteering, tons of work and research experience, some publications

I thought the interview went well for the most part, except for the essay bit...

What a feat! Props.

What a feat! Props.

Thank you. :) Hopefully I've given some hope to other applicants with lower GPAs. I remember last year, scanning all the "accepted" posts, wondering if I'd even get an interview invite, and it was definitely heartening to see a few <3.5s.

Thanks to everyone who declined their offers; I couldn't have done it without you. ;)

• 2 months later...

I hope I get into U of C this year. Its my first choice. I applied to all 6 ontario schools, U of M, U of S, and U of A (yes, it cost a lot of money but I am determined). I applied to U of A and U of C last year, got an interview at U of A but got rejected after the interview

My stats are : GPA 3.68

MCAT: V 8 PS 12 BS 12 R

EC's: research (medical-neuroscience) 1 summer, organic synthesis research (1 summer) to synthesize a new anti-diabeties drug, no publications but positive results,

Volunteer >400 hours with volunteer tutoring and student clubs,

and -50 hours in the emergency room at a hospital. Physician shadowing.

Do i stand a chance?

All the 3.8 and 4.0 GPA people make me nervous about my chances :S

IP (moved to calgary a year ago to do my MSc)

~3.8 GPA

Will write MCAT

MSc project in the works, with hopeful publication, abstracts and awards

2 years volunteering multiple places in a hospital, including leading a team

6 months volunteering with heart and stroke, including leading a team

Will be two years tutoring high school kids (for profit)

Thoughts? Suggestions on improving?

• 1 month later...
OOP..

best two year gpa: 3.75

mcat: 8 vr and 10 bs

though i can't see my score...!!??? :S any idea why? i wud've liked to see where i stood...for future ref...

considering i was oop, wud've been a miracle being accepted lol..

wondering if i shud still move to alberta next year and try again......?

You have to calculate it yourself using the algorithm. You ought to have done it before sinking the cost of the application since it would have told you that you werent really competetive.

^ yeah, unfortunately the historical stats are against you. You're sitting at around 400 points, the cutoffs in recent years have been closer to 450. That verbal score alone disqualifies you (even a 4.0, 8VR and 15BS won't cut it - use the formula in the applicant manual) so on top of your 10 in BS, you probably have to rewrite the mcat if you want to get into calgary. I'm really sorry to hear that though! good luck with any other schools you applied to

I would think hard about moving provinces just to get into a medical school.

I'm sure it works out for some people, but the difference between getting in IP and OOP is not absolutely massive at U of C. If you are unable to make the cutoff for a full file review, you should consider whether the advantage of being IP would provide a large enough boost to help you out.

I note that your cumulative average and MCAT are both below what they generally accept from IP. You would need *exceptional* ECs to get an interview even as IP.

Do consider rewriting the MCAT or thinking international schools.

I would think hard about moving provinces just to get into a medical school.

I'm sure it works out for some people, but the difference between getting in IP and OOP is not absolutely massive at U of C. If you are unable to make the cutoff for a full file review, you should consider whether the advantage of being IP would provide a large enough boost to help you out.

I note that your cumulative average and MCAT are both below what they generally accept from IP. You would need *exceptional* ECs to get an interview even as IP.

Do consider rewriting the MCAT or thinking international schools.

The difference actually is quite large when you take into account that as an IP you are competing for 85% of seats versus only 15% as an OOP. Quite a difference there, and the stats between GPA and MCAT scores of IP versus OOP support that.

OOP with 3.95 real GPA and 4.00 Calgary GPA.

13 Phys, 11 verval, 10 bio, and p writing.

I missed the algorithm cut off by 1.5 points are so and I'm somewhat upset Calgary doesn't distinguish between and A and an A+ (I am assuming this because my Calgary GPA was 4.0), so someone with all A's and no A+'s is ranked the same as me. This seems odd since, at least at my school, the jump from an A to an A+ is much more difficult to make than say, the jump from an A- to an A. C'est la vie, good luck to those receiving an interview

• 4 months later...

OOP

I will be taking this offer.

MCAT - 12 PS 8 VR 9 BS Q WS

GPA - 3.6/4.0

ECs - Went to Somalia during spring break. Saved a baby and used its dad as a verifier.

Interview went well. I forgot to close the door and the interviewer ended up yelling at the next candidate. Kind of feel bad, but its over!!!

Accepted. OOP.

Time: 6:14 am.

4.0 wGPA, 36R MCAT. Most of my ECs are hospital and research related.

Thought the verbal interview was ok (not my best), and I felt terrible about the writing section.

I'll be rejecting UofC, already accepted in Ontario. Congrats to the rest of you receiving offers!

Oops, I may have posted in the wrong forum before.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Too excited so had to make an account to share that I got IN!!!!! Aaaah!!!

33Q MCAT, 3.7 GPA, IP student.

I swear I'm not a troll, and lord knows why they're up this early, but I'm so thankful for it. No more late night heart palpitations or stomach ulcers for me worrying over this!!!!

Good luck to everyone else - I wish you all the best in your futures and maybe will be seeing some of you in late July!

Accepted!

IP

Undergrad cGPA: 3.0

Grad GPA: 3.7 (master's in physics, PhD in astronomy)

Best 2 Years: 3.8

MCAT: 35N

ECs: Lots of random stuff

I'm still kind of in shock and not quite sure I'm awake, because I was having dreams about getting in all night! But I'm very excited!