Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Just woke up and found an unexpected acceptance. I applied as IP. My GPA was around 3.60 for UofC or even less on their messed up scale.

MCAT was: 11, 9, 11 R (31R)

This was my first time applying to UofC, but I think their application process is similar to Ontario's in that the top 5 are like a personal statement and the rest is like filling out the ABS on OMSAS. Spend the time to carefully go over this part of your application, it can really make up for a not so great GPA. I really don't think it matters what type of ECs you have, as long as you can convey what you gained from them and your passion for them on your application. I also had awesome references, which really helped.

Also, I felt I screwed up my interview, that's why I wasn't expecting this. Some of the MMI stations were really challenging. They took forever to read and didn't give much of an opportunity to really thoroughly think about the issue. However, from what others have told me, it seems it's equally important how you say what you say. Articulating yourself in a confident way and smiling a lot can go a long way :)

I applied to UBC, UofA, UofC, UofT, Queens, Ottawa, and Dalhousie.

I interviewed at UofA, UofC, Ottawa & Dalhousie.

I'm pretty set on Ottawa as my first choice, but I do love Calgary as a city. I'll most likely be declining my offer soon, so hopefully someone here gets off the wait list!

IP, cGPA about 3.86, MCAT 39R, 4 years

Rejected

Guess I blew the interview. Oh well.

ETA:

Score

Score Value Weight

Academic Score 45.34 50

Activities 20 25

MCAT 14 15

Reference Letters 9.25 10

Total Pre-MMI Score 88.59 100

MMI Scores Value Weight

MMI - Verbal 26.38 50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 35.44 40

MMI - Written 5.5 10

Final Application Score 67.32 100

Wow, I REALLY blew the MMI :P

Regrets

Score Value Weight

Non-Albertan Rank 482.12 0

Academic Score 43.5 50

Activities 17.25 25

MCAT 14 15

Reference Letters 7.5 10

Total Pre-MMI Score 82.25 100

MMI Scores Value Weight

MMI - Verbal 27.38 50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 32.9 40

MMI - Written 5.25 10

Final Application Score 65.53 100

Accepted.

IP.

PhD student (at app time was MSc).

GPA: 3.6/4.

MCAT: 33T.

EC's: A lot, volunteering at many places, national and provincial funding, conferences, publications, awards, etc.

I will be accepting, but deferring to do the leaders in medicine program.

This has been a lifelong dream for me and this was my first application. I hope my stats will show people there is hope if you don't have a 4.0. I worked hard to improve other parts of my app and only got one interview for medical school (got rejected pre-interview at UofA), so it is possible.

Congrats everyone =).

Rejected

Academic Score 42.9 50

Activities 15.75 25

MCAT 11 15

Reference Letters 7.5 10

Total Pre-MMI Score 77.15 100

MMI Scores Value Weight

MMI - Verbal 31.13 50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 30.86 40

MMI - Written 4.25 10

Final Application Score 66.24 100

WELL, that wasn't pleasant to wake up to. I hope the others are better....

IP, Accepted!

GPA ~3.6 or so

MCAT 38T

Activities a lot, mainly teaching abroad and related to it, community volunteering too

I started this process thinking it was out of my league, and now here I am. Feelin pretty on top of the world!

ACCEPTED!!!

thought i was dreaming when i received the email at 4:30AM!!! :eek:

4th year IP

cGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 34R

ECs: research, hospital volunteer, music...the usual stuff

Interview: thought went pretty well

1st time applying, but still waiting for U of A...hmm we will see!! :) very very happy though!!!

ACCEPTED!

IP (3rd year undergrad + diploma from SAIT)

GPA - 3.91

MCAT - 32M (PS-11/V-10/BS-11)

non-trad applicant: 25 years old, married and my wife is expecting our first child, I'm also a licensed automotive mechanic which allowed for some unique EC's. Research experience with no publications.

Congrats to everyone that got in, those on the waitlist sit tight, there is a good amount of movement!

OOP (IP through CF) - Wait list

Calgary GPA: ~3.65

MCAT: 32O

EC: military, epi research, red cross exec, undergrad research journal editor, pre-med club rep, residence council member, etc.

I will not be waiting for U of C so hopefully I'll make someone on the wait list very happy. CONGRATS to everyone accepted and good luck to all on the WL

Accepted (4:29 am)

Unbelievable. I honestly think I broke some kind of GPA record.

Less than 3.0 undergrad cGPA

Grad GPA 4.0 (MSc)

MCAT 39R (15 9 15 R)

ECs: quite a bit I guess. 3 presidencies (1 of which got me on the city newspaper a few times), 6 volunteer positions (3, current, nothing in hospital), 5 presentation awards (1 at international conference), 4 leadership awards (1 provincial but didn't make it onto app), drumming + table tennis for many years (just recreational)

Publications: 1 first author original scientific article (impact factor 10), 1 first author review, 1 first author book chapter, 4 co-authors.

Interview: Hard to say because I honestly can't remember. Everything went by really quickly but I tried my very best and gave as much energy as I can. Didn't make any major errors that I can recall.

I am someone who went from zero chance to actually getting in after 1 shot at interview. This really goes to show that you only really need one. I couldn't sleep at all last night and both myself and my fiancee were really stressed for the last 2 weeks. However, I honestly think that if I can do it, so can any of you. Will post my experience on a more detailed post later. Really sleepy right now actually because I just laid in bed for 8 hours straight without falling asleep.

UofC Med Class of 2014

Accepted

IP

GPA 3.70

MCAT: 33Q

ECs: Non-traditional! Ran startup company, financial industry work, UofC summer camp instructor, competitive soccer

Publications: US patent

Completely shocked right now. Feel awesome but also a little sick with empathy for the people who did not get in. I absolutely felt that I would be on the other side of the coin right now. Congrats to all who got in and I hope those that didn't get an offer elsewhere!

Accepted

IP applicant

grad student

cGPA: 3.89 (I think, haven't calculated in a while)

MCAT: 11-8-11-S

ECs: mostly research related, hospital volunteering (one year volunteering in a psych ward), etc

interview: who knows, right?

Pretty glad to be posting this. There's hope if you're on the waitlist. I need to go talk to the admissions office about the logistics of LiM and not starting right away. I'll get back on that

Accepted IP! :)

cGPA ~3.68

MCAT 31N

EC: lots: military, aviation, sports, volunteering music

I'm so so so happy to be posting this- UofC is my first choice!! However, there is a strong chance I'll have to request a deferral this year. I'll update for the WLers when I know more!

Congratulations to all!

Score

Score Value Weight

Academic Score 42.25 50

Activities 17.25 25

MCAT 9 15

Reference Letters 6.75 10

Total Pre-MMI Score 75.25 100

MMI Scores Value Weight

MMI - Verbal 26.5 50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 30.1 40

MMI - Written 2.5 10

Final Application Score 59.1 100

I sucked at MMI.

Accepted at the U of A. Going to the U of A!

Congrats to all who JUST GOT IN ;-)

Not so great news here - Waitlisted

OOP

cGPA 3.8

best 2 years GPA 4.1

MCAT 10/12/Q/10

B.Music, BSc in Health Sciences

ECs - Gr. 10 RCM piano, Class 2 soccer referee, 20 years playing soccer, competitive cross-country ski racing, rec ice hockey, lived in Calcutta to volunteer for 4 months, volunteer with a homework club, piano teacher for 5 years, tons of gigging/touring in various bands for 10 years, no publications...

This was my second time applying for U of C, rejected pre-interview last year, still waiting to hear from UBC but it does not look good since everyone who got accepted found out yesterday...oh well - life goes on ;-)

Waitlisted here. Accepting U of A invite though.

Stats:

IP, 4th year applicant.

cGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 35R (14PS-7VR-14BS-R)

References: Two really amazing people, one a research prof, one a supervisor for a long term (8 year) volunteer activity

ECs:

-Big brother

-Blood Bank summer volunteer

-Church youth committee leader 5 years

-Church volunteer 8 years

-Competitive Boxing 8 years

-Competitive football 9 years

-Football team captain (1 of 4) for the last 6 years I played

-Competitive powerlifting 5 years

-One AHFMR summer in maternal-fetal medicine research, no pubs

-1 year volunteer for a research assistant position in NINT

-1 Overseas volunteer mission feeding/helping the poor and vulnerable in a monastery in the middle of the Saharan desert

-Various sports and academic awards

-Various employment activities that ranged from construction to sales

-Lots of travel.

Interview: Felt it went really iffy, and I guess it did

Applied: U of A, U of C, U of M

Interviewed: U of A, U of C

Accepted: U of A

Waitlisted: U of C

Will be accepting U of A to free up a spot for the waiting. This is my first time applying to medicine.